can i run catless w/o a tune?

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Yep, but every time to go WOT you will run pig rich due to COT. That needs to be turned off by a tuner. Kind of negates the power gains.

liter of cola

Established Member
Yep, but every time to go WOT you will run pig rich due to COT. That needs to be turned off by a tuner. Kind of negates the power gains.

is running rich bad for the engine? can this hurt something?

I ran it without cats for quite some time with no issues what so ever. I just popped in non foulers to get rid of the CEL.

"non foulers"? sounds great where do i get these?

also the only reason i wanna do this is to unleash some more sound and i really wanna keep my warranty for now. as long as it doesnt cause me to lose power from what im at right now with the cats in and it doesnt hurt anything i will gladly do it.

i thought borla ataks would be loud enough but it seams they aint loud enough for me.

ruby ass.jpg

Last edited:

rotarymagic

Established Member
Haven't you already voided most of your warranty anyway? You've changed out lots of suspension components. Running catless without a tune on 11-14 cars is a gamble as the non-foulers can fail pretty often on this setup. Just tune it, you've already done permanent mods anyway like that rear valence with quad tips.

liter of cola

Established Member
Haven't you already voided most of your warranty anyway? You've changed out lots of suspension components. Running catless without a tune on 11-14 cars is a gamble as the non-foulers can fail pretty often on this setup. Just tune it, you've already done permanent mods anyway like that rear valence with quad tips.

Adding some suspension components only voids warrenty for lets say if something directly related to those suspension parts fails... Voiding the powertrain warrenty is a little more serious. The rear valence dude? Seriously? What does that have to do with warrenty?? Lol. Bassically if my engine fails i cant comfortably foot the bill so no tune simple as that.

Let me know if you want to sell the borlas.

Borlas are actually for sale i put up two posts saying so, $800 shipped, $700 pickup nyc area.

resonator delete will make the exhaust a little louder too, if you haven't already done that?

Im not too interested in deleting the resonators at the moment... I like no drone. I just need a straight up answer, can it be done safley or is it dangerous for my engine to run catless with out a tune?

Last edited:

liter of cola

Established Member
what is COT? can i just get a full answer... such as

"yes, here's how to do it and no harm will come to your engine, pros/cons"

or

"no... it shouldnt be done as it will harm your engine or cause you to lose power" < these are the only two reasons i wouldnt want to do it.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
Because there is no absolutely firm answer. Cat OverTemp protection (COT), means the odds favour losing power by doing this and not tuning.

AKDMB

Established Member
A stock coyote tune will enrich up to .70 lambda to cool the cats, that is very very rich, it will kill power. Not getting a tune for the cats won't give you as much power. I don't know what other side effects will occur from running this rich at times without having catalytic converters other than uselessly dumping fuel down out of the exhaust. These are the tune changes needed for removing the cats. Shaun from AED may be able to answer this question, but the only other issue I have with doing this, is that the stock tune may respond in some unforeseen way to what it sees as poor catalyst performance. This may have some other long term impact on the tune. One of the changes needed is to disable FAOSC, not disabling this may result in something like this happening. From what I know, all you need to do is get rid of FAOSC, COT and turn off the diagnostic codes to where you don't have idiot lights. This info comes from research I have done about tune changes needed for getting rid of the cats, I didn't come up with this stuff. I thought I should research all the tune changes needed for the most common mods and this is info I found along the way. I know some of you might be wondering why I'm posting this if I don't entirely understand it, and it's because that hopefully Shaun or the other tuners that are on here can explain it and then at least we will have pictures to go along with the real explanations. Still just learning here, but I thought I might share some info. Please correct me if any of this info is wrong, I want to learn as much as I can.

Here is my source on the tune changes needed for removing the cats http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...t-do-i-need-to-do-to-disable-them-in-the-tune

Disabling FAOSC
FAOSC.PNG

Disabling COT
modified COT.PNG

Disabling Idiot lights
Idiot light changes.PNG

Also here is a stock WOT fueling table for perspective, as you can see .70 lambda is pig rich and will kill power on occasion.
Stock WOT Lambda.PNG

Last edited:

bmilteer94

Established Member
what is COT? can i just get a full answer... such as

"yes, here's how to do it and no harm will come to your engine, pros/cons"

or

"no... it shouldnt be done as it will harm your engine or cause you to lose power" < these are the only two reasons i wouldnt want to do it.

Personally I wouldn't do it. I just ordered a lethal off road H and a Lund tune for mine. Reason I wouldn't do it is I like to do things right the first time and not have to worry about them.

If you want to go catless, get a quality tune so it's safe. If you don't turn the Cat OverTemp Protection off then you will be dumping raw fuel through the exhaust. Even if you put those O2 simulators in there is a possibility they could fail and cause it to throw a CEL (Check Engine Light).

Removing the resonators doesn't affect drone as much as your axleback choice. Removing the resonators adds a littore rasp above 3k and makes the car idle a little deeper.

liter of cola

Established Member
ppl keep saying that the fouler/o2 simulator option can fail... i dont understand how, its bassically an o2 sensor extension that does pretty much the same thing that moving the 02 sensors further down would do. it moves the o2 sensor further away from the direct flow of the exhaust where the o2 levels are lower. how can this fail?

can we get an experienced tuner in here to comment on this?

i would love to get a tune..... but i cant at the moment as my stang is currently my daily and i simply cant risk voiding my power-train warranty right now.

Last edited:

nate714

Established Member
Lots of people delete resonator and have no drone. Drone usually comes from straight through axlebacks. I don't have resonators and I don't have any drone, but I have GT500 AB.

high-flow cats are an option if you're adamant about not tuning. People say they're louder. I'm happy with my resonator delete though. I'd imagine cat deletes would make more drone and rasp than resonator delete. I have two older chevy's without cats and they have some serious drone.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-metallic-catalytic-converter-1114.html

AKDMB

Established Member
You will often have the same issues with high flow cats, they aren't the same efficiency as the stock catalysts so they will usually trigger a CEL.

5lho

Established Member
ppl keep saying that the fouler/o2 simulator option can fail... i dont understand how, its bassically an o2 sensor extension that does pretty much the same thing that moving the 02 sensors further down would do. it moves the o2 sensor further away from the direct flow of the exhaust where the o2 levels are lower. how can this fail?

can we get an experienced tuner in here to comment on this?

i would love to get a tune..... but i cant at the moment as my stang is currently my daily and i simply cant risk voiding my power-train warranty right now.

Non-foulers are hit and miss. What you're doing is moving the O2 out of the exhaust stream by a bit, to reduce it's ability to sense O2. The problem is, there is no way to predict exactly what amount of movement and flow is exactly right for the engine in your car. If it's off, you trigger the CEL. Sometimes people fangle these by stacking the foulers or drilling the hole in them to a different diameter but, again, it's blindly shooting in the dark, really.

These things are actually used in industrial equipment to prevent fouling spark plugs with raw gas in inefficient engines enduring hard use. This was never their intended purpose in life.

Users who are viewing this thread