cam degreeing.

Swervedriver

Established Member
Sucks. I came to the conclusion that if I wanted cams degreed I'd have to do it myself. I honestly don't think there is a profitable way to do it for a shop, and I fear grinding/cutting on the sprockets could weaken them.

I ended up with the full cloyes hex a just setup & multi keyway secondary sprockets.

Funny story. I lost track of the dots and just did the passenger bank relative to crank position not even thinking that the crank rotates twice to each cam rotation. Basically I had a coin toss chance of getting it right and I landed on tails. :/ Had to drop the whole motor again to pull of the front cover, remove the primary sprocket, flip the cams, and triple check LC relative to crank position.

I was not lolling.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Funny story. I lost track of the dots and just did the passenger bank relative to crank position not even thinking that the crank rotates twice to each cam rotation. Basically I had a coin toss chance of getting it right and I landed on tails. :/ Had to drop the whole motor again to pull of the front cover, remove the primary sprocket, flip the cams, and triple check LC relative to crank position.

When assembling and degreeing the passenger side all you have to do is make sure the crank gear dot is at 6 o'clock and the driver side primary cam gear dot is up.

Sucks. I came to the conclusion that if I wanted cams degreed I'd have to do it myself. I honestly don't think there is a profitable way to do it for a shop, and I fear grinding/cutting on the sprockets could weaken them.

Grinding the keys will not weaken them. Hell, it's the bolts that secure the cams anyway. Most 4Vs from 93-97 didn't even have keys.

Last edited:

musclemerc

Established Member
I would not take the engine back to these guys to try it a second time.

surely there is a member here or on M1R that can help you out

racebronco2

Established Member
I work at a Ford dealership. My techs have never needed to degree cams. Stock is different they also are not degreed.. I also don't have all of the tools.

That is why I sent it out.

You never needed to because you are taught to r-r. But to get the cam timing where it is at the stock locations you will need to degree them. People degree the cams to get equal power out of each side of the engine. Stock is not degreed but it's supposed to be at 114 intake and exhaust. Even with a new engine they are off.

If the shop charges enough it's profitable but most customers don't want to pay the 300.00 or so to get them degreed correctly. I don't grind on the sprockets, i grind away on the cam keyways. The metal is much softer and easier to get to.

Grinding the keys will not weaken them.[/B][/SIZE] Hell, it's the bolts that secure the cams anyway. Most 4Vs from 93-97 didn't even have keys.

I have removed so many engines from Lincoln Mark VIII's you guys would not believe me. Like na svt said most of them do not have the keyways.

I spent alot of money to get my cams degreed. My intake is set at 109. But my exhaust is way off. The exhaust is at 106. It should be at 113. I am glad I had them checked. I have invested alot of money in this motor. I would have been pissed if something would have gotten broke and damaged my polished and ported heads or my stroked teksid block or my stroker assembly. I have left them a few messages and tried to call them sevweral times. Have not heard anything as of yet... Will update.....

Were both sides the same?

Whoever you had check the cam degreeing should be able to degree them for you. If they have the tools to check the cams then they have all but a dremel tool to degree them themselves. Why don't they just do it?

I agree.

Exhaust is where it is at on these and any force fed motors. Get them degreed correctly. Every 4.6L engine that has a cam swap needs to be degreed. I think mine were off about 5-8 straight up. Reports are out there that some cams have been off 20 degrees.

I'm not sure whom told you that the exhaust is where it is at on these engine but according to John Mihovetz it really doesn't make much of a difference where you set the exhaust cams at. In case you din;t know whom he is, he is the leading authority on 4.6's. John told me the intake is where the power is at. The earlier you open the intakes the better, within reason of course.

well just got the phone with them. They told me I did not check them right. He said the only way to check the exhaust side of the cams is to pull the timing chains off. I now have no faith in the work they have done. I have been reading alot of web pages about degreeing cams and checking them. I have never read anything about pulling the chains to check??? Anyone ever heard of this?? I think once you pull the chains you loose the timing and set up completely.

They really don't know what they are talking about and i would stay away from them. If they do degree the cams they probably will not be where you want them anyways.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I have corresponded with you before. about cam timing a few years ago. I was wondering where you found your info at?

The stock cam on the excel file is not correct. I got my info from checking the LCs on many engines, putting the cams in a computerized cam checker and also by talking at length with a Ford engineer.

fredfred

Established Member
Well they came out today and picked up my motor. They said they would get it degreed correctly. I told them when I get it back we would check it again. It better be done correctly. I guess they figured that I did not work at a Ford dealership?? We will see...

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Damn this situation sucks man. Hope your car gets done right. Keep updating this.

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

fredfred

Established Member
Well I finally got my motor back. My tech finally got time to check the cams. What do you know. They are not degreed. I gave the information. They had my cam card with the numbers. I made sure they phone number to Bullet Racing cams was on the card. Now I just want my money back!!!! I am now on the hunt again. I will start asking for references!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
fly NA SVT down....he's the man!

I wish he'd do a youtube video of how to degree them...that would ROCK

Swervedriver

Established Member
What are the cams setup for (meaning where is the keyway cut)? What were they measured at? And what did you want them degreed to?

Last edited:

Swervedriver

Established Member
I am to change this project and go a different direction.

Pushrod motor? Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been saying for years cams just aren't worth it in these things. The fact that most people just do it so they can bump like a muscle car is completely beyond me.

NASVT was very helpful in answering my questions and giving me direction with where to set cams. As for actually setting them, that took about 2 weeks. Then I finally gave up on trying to cut the stock sprocket keys and put all cloyes sprockets in. Now I don't trust the cloyes secondary chains so I'm going to drop it back out to swap those chains for my stock ones.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
How about...instead of taking it to a performance shop, you take it to an engine builder?

Westside Performance & Machine, G&G performance engines, or excessive racing engines

All in Houston 'burbs.

Users who are viewing this thread