cam degreeing.

Swervedriver

Established Member
Why don't you trust them? (cloyes timing chains)

Not enough people have used them to prove them to be stronger, or even as strong as the stock chains.

Jake broke a chain and two people on yellowbullet broke some. That's a pretty high failure rate considering the small user base.

Yes it could have been just a handful of problem chains but I'm not going to gamble my pistons & valves hoping I got good chains when I know the ford chains hold a bunch of power reliably.

cobracloud

Established Member
Not enough people have used them to prove them to be stronger, or even as strong as the stock chains.

Jake broke a chain and two people on yellowbullet broke some. That's a pretty high failure rate considering the small user base.

Yes it could have been just a handful of problem chains but I'm not going to gamble my pistons & valves hoping I got good chains when I know the ford chains hold a bunch of power reliably.
i was about to drop mine in last week and decided to remove the cloyes chains and replace them with ford chains, sunday the motor will be going in:beer:

cobracloud

Established Member
I'm contemplating running the MMR or accufab chain & tensioner setup.
i was already set to pull the trigger on them but since im not going to be using a 2 step i think i will be good to go with the ford chains, at least it has relaxed me on the cloyes secondary chains breaking:rolling:

rideorange812

Established Member
When assembling and degreeing the passenger side all you have to do is make sure the crank gear dot is at 6 o'clock and the driver side primary cam gear dot is up.

Grinding the keys will not weaken them. Hell, it's the bolts that secure the cams anyway. Most 4Vs from 93-97 didn't even have keys.

I grinded,shimmed and degree'd my fr500 cams to 112/114.....

18904_182499291888688_1977009122_n.jpg

fredfred

Established Member
How about...instead of taking it to a performance shop, you take it to an engine builder?

Westside Performance & Machine, G&G performance engines, or excessive racing engines

All in Houston 'burbs.

Called Westside Performance. Looks like I will give them a try. They have degreed three motors. I spoke to them and after a series of questions. They seem to know what they are doing..
Waiting on a Refund from Fastlane. Will call them tomorrow to see when I can get my money!!

If this does not get corrected. I will be braking everything down and selling everything off. Then get a new GT500.
:shrug:

01bluesnake

Established Member
This thread confuses me. The op's builder knows how to check the cams, obviously has a degree wheel and dial indicator set, but can't degree the cams?? Just wondering why the OP and his builder can't actually put the cams at the correct number. Seems to be having trouble with a lot of shops doing it incorrect. If your builder can check them, and he's telling them they all are wrong, maybe he should degree your cams, just an observation. I've degreed a few sets now, and the hardest part is setting the degree wheel up, getting tdc and finding the centerline's which your builder seems to have down to a science.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
This thread confuses me. The op's builder knows how to check the cams, obviously has a degree wheel and dial indicator set, but can't degree the cams?? Just wondering why the OP and his builder can't actually put the cams at the correct number. Seems to be having trouble with a lot of shops doing it incorrect. If your builder can check them, and he's telling them they all are wrong, maybe he should degree your cams, just an observation. I've degreed a few sets now, and the hardest part is setting the degree wheel up, getting tdc and finding the centerline's which your builder seems to have down to a science.

I said the same thing awhile ago.:shrug:

BobCat

Established Member
I would make a video on how we do it but we use a Digi-cam digital degree wheel and a milling machine to make keys to the exact dimensions we need. Once it is all installed straight up and measured it is simple math of cutting the keys on the mill to move the cams to where we want them and torque them down. This method saves us a ton of time and we can get them to within 0.1* if necessary.

fredfred

Established Member
Well wanted to update. Finally got a phone call from Fastlane. They are sending the guy that degreed my cams to check them at the dealership. They said they were degreed correctly. We will see. Should be out Thursday.

fredfred

Established Member
Well they never came out and checked there work. So I am F___ed. I am getting the Cloyes gears and doing it myself!!! I will never send anything to them or recommend them.

Swervedriver

Established Member
Well they never came out and checked there work. So I am F___ed. I am getting the Cloyes gears and doing it myself!!! I will never send anything to them or recommend them.

I've got all cloyes sprockets. Their secondary chains are total bullshit though. The links are. 010" thinner than the stock chains and have a lot more slop. I searched for user feedback on them and found a 75% failure rate! Don't gamble your valves, pistons, & heads on their rebranded Dodge chains. I just got my car together for the third time when I discovered these chains are an issue so it's right back out on the garage floor and the stock chains are going back in.

Accufab & Mmr sell a true upgraded chain& passenger side tensioner kit but personally I feel the stock chains are plenty strong for 1k HP motors as long as the cams get a good oil supply.

Users who are viewing this thread