Calling out Shaun Perry - time to settle this on the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbt

Banned
Apologies for not replying until the (PST) Olympic Ceremonies are nearly over...

KD, fair enough. :) Though I'd merely point out that you didn't attack it quite like that, either in letter or spirit of your first title, and post, for this thread.

I suspect that these types of discussions get misconstrued/miscontorted (often innocently by both sides) over time as we forget what the original discussion point was, until it is convenient for us to remember points salient to our case...

(skip a few leaps in logic...)

It seems to me that if Mr. Perry challenged Mr. WBT (apologies for not knowing your name, kind sir,) but Mr. WBT did not explicitly accept, then that challenge is separate from the one Mr. Danner issued to Mr. Perry.

Now, if Mr. Danner is the second to Mr. WBT, that is certainly a point I don't debate... except I'd point out that it doesn't explain why Mr. Danner issued a second challenge, on behalf of Mr. WBT. I don't think the Code Duello explicitly discussed such a scenario... merely my interpretation, now--but I believe the code expected that he who throws down the guantlet (according to Mr. Danner in his challenge, is Mr. WBT throwing down the guantlet to Mr. Perry,) would only do it in person, himself, in front of the challenged. Thus, one (Mr. Danner) cannot challenge someone (Mr. Perry) on the part of another (Mr. WBT).

That is to say, per the ancient dueling codes, Mr. Danner cannot issue a challenge on behalf of Mr. WBT--Mr. WBT must issue it himself.

Since Mr. Perry has issued a challenge to Mr. WBT, Mr. WBT must choose the time and place. But he has technically entrusted such a decision in the hands of his second, Mr. Danner, who has issued another challenge in return, a technical violation of the Code Duello, as the challenge had already been issued. Mr. Danner would be within rights to recognize Mr. Perry's challenge and declare his (Mr. WBT's) preferred venue, if he did it in such a format to recognize the original challenge from Mr. Perry. He would not be correct to issue a brand-new challenge to Mr. Perry.

So, long road to a small house... Mr. WBT should cite the original challenge from Mr. Perry and declare his preferred battlefield, then declare Mr. Danner as his Second. Mr. Perry should accept or turn down said challenge, and/if upon acceptance, declare his Second.

Should Mr. Danner see fit to publish a separate SVTP thread (as he did) that states "Calling out Shaun Perry - time to settle this on the track" then he (Mr. Danner) must see it as a separate challenge, given the language of said post, or rescind said post and and allow Mr. WBT to re-post the intent to call out Mr. Perry in the first place, as it's own stand-alone post. Or, if the intent is to accept Mr. Perry's original challenge, then that must be made clear up-front. (i.e.: Sir, per your post on xx Month 2012, xx:xxhrs, #xx of thread "xxxxx", where you so challenged me to a race to determine "xxxxxx xxxxx", I do accept your challenge and declare "xxxxxx" as my selected race venue.")

Now in laymen's terms: If Shaun really wanted to challenge WBT, Shaun should post a new thread making this very clear. Alternatively, WBT should dig up said offense/challenge and post a new thread explicitly accepting Shaun's implied challenge. Either way, challenger offers challenge and challenged makes it clear that he accepts. THEN the "seconds" step in and arrange per the intent of the key players. Preferably outside the public forum. Or, the challenger backs down and apologizes, and the challenged then has the option to accept.

Just my opinion and interpretation on the ancient code of duelling. Over to you gents if it means anything in our present context.

:pepper:
Now I'll go back to wondering why my steering wheel is vibrating... probably a damned bent rim. :shrug:

Semper Fidelis!

USA! USA! (We're all on the same team, after all...)

Quite the wordsmith. :beer:

Keeping this to the point and on topic, kdanner discussed this with both JJ and myself before making this thread. He had our acceptance and therefore posted on behalf of both of us as a coordinator of such an event.

For review:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...aun-perry-time-settle-track.html#post12026126

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...n-perry-time-settle-track-6.html#post12043450

It's really quite simple. Shaun makes an appearance at NMRA Houston or not. Based on his responses thus far, he is out.

twistedneck

Established Member
Quick side thread question
-----------------------------------
Would someone please help extract all of the great information these guys have mentioned in the last few weeks whilst battling it out? add it to another thread or something. Then we can actually benefit from this thread i mean, since these guys are the fastest out there and all have some serious awesome ideas even if we can't make it to their upgrade shops.

Some of Shaun's ideas are in his tunes, we can easily purchase those and he gives awesome advice beyond that. But for all of the other stuff i've seen like kdanner does not write tunes for sale but he obviously has a very fast coyote - how should it be done the kdanner way?

Also, the trap speed would be the best indicator for us since traction will always be variable - trap speed seems to indicate power vs. weight ratio well. Five.slow was kind enough to share his motor issues and add a lot of info on what to look for what to avoid (altitude, octane, etc..). wbt, mike, beefcake, all the others..

So based on this thread battle, ignoring gear ratio, slick sizes, and all traction adders - what should us Mustang folks be working on to hit 125mph trap speed?

Back on topic.
----------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread