Calling All Cobra Guru's

PuffAdder03

Speed Limit? What's That?
Established Member
I'm having an inconsistent problem with my cobra. 03, full exhaust (BBK LT's, BBK O/R, and Magnaflow CB), CAI, pully, and tune. Now the problem is when I get on the throttle and run through the gears everything goes as it should. When I start to slow down and come to a stop the rpm's drop very quickly and the car will die. If I catch it when it happens I can coast and give it a little throttle and raise the rpm's until I stop. Now the thing is it's not a constant problem so I can't figure out what it causing it. I'm not too much of a car guy and I can't seem to figure out what it is.

It will do it when the car is cool and sometimes when it's warm and at normal temp. I don't run it hard when it's cold because that would be stupid, but it seems to happen more when it's cold. I hope I'm making sense of this so someone will understand what I'm trying to say. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

96badvenm

Established Member
could be the tune. Or i was also thinking it could be the IAC sensor that is on top of the plenum near the throttle body

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
It's the classic stall most likely. It needs to be retuned if so. This can happen out of the blue. My first car had the same tune for 2 years and then had it happen. your tuner will need to mess with the dashpot. It will hang your idle a little higher when you are coming to a stop. It could also be the IAC sensor but 90% of the time you see the stall happen on these boards it just needs an adjustment in the tune.

Last edited:

metaman

Established Member
Mine started doing that very severely a couple of weeks ago. I went through the normal diagnostics of checking the vacuum, the vacuum lines, the plugs, changed out the IAC valve, and datalogged looking for the problem. I could not find anything, so I figured time to do some research. I did not think it was the tune that was in the car because I had driven around with that tune for at least 2 years and it never stalled.

I had not given up on it, but I had taken a break from looking for the problem. Then one day my intuition just popped in there and said, "Read the Owners Manual". I had no idea why I needed to do this, but it seemed like a good idea. I got to the area in the book that talked about changing the battery. It said that if you disconnect the battery for any reason then you have to follow a certain procedure after you reattach it. Apparently, when you disconnect the battery it clears out all of the Long Term and Short Term fuel trims which are part of the computers learning curve to adapt to your driving and car set up.

All of this has to be done before the car is shut off.

Start the Car
Let it idle with the AC off for 60 seconds
Let it idle with the AC on for 60 seconds
Drive the car around for 15 min. using different driving styles

I did this and the car started behaving like it used to without the stalls all of the time. All of this from changing the battery and not reading the owners manual first.

PuffAdder03

Established Member
You know I thought the same thing too. Sometimes when it would stall the battery light would come on. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I thought that it might be the battery or the tune. I will do both because I have a ATS ported blower, tb, and plenum that I want to put on. So I'll get the tune checked out when I do that. The battery thing will be done today. Thanks for the help ya'll.

O and that's nice pit you got there philly. I'm hoping to get another one sometime soon. I had to give my two up when I got stationed in washington. Sad sad day.

Digital

Established Member
It's the classic stall most likely. It needs to be retuned if so. This can happen out of the blue. My first car had the same tune for 2 years and then had it happen. your tuner will need to mess with the dashpot. It will hang your idle a little higher when you are coming to a stop. It could also be the IAC sensor but 90% of the time you see the stall happen on these boards it just needs an adjustment in the tune.

X100000
/thread.

This is exactly the advise you need to follow.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
X100000
/thread.

This is exactly the advise you need to follow.

Yup....for some reason these cars "learn" the tune. You see this on a lot of Terms running the same tune for a while. It will all the sudden start to stall. The long time members on this board have seen it enought to tell the newbies. Believe me I changed every sensor I could before I got it retuned and thats what it was after 2 years on the same tune with the same mods.

Jroc

Established Member
Its the stall and it sucks balls. A tune with the latiest Ford updates will probably cure it, but my car, and a few other cars on here are just stubburn stallers that aren't fixed by a tune.(trust me I've been fighting it for years)

Tryed adjusting the TPS below 1, replaced IAC valves, repositioned the MAF, etc. The only thing that really works for me is to cut the idle up to about 1,100 rpms during the cooler months, and then back to around 900 or so during the warmer months.

I just swapped from TR6's to AR103 to see if that might cure it as TR6's have a crappy idle, and my stall issue really reared its head after I went to the TR6's. The AR103's seem to have a similar idle to the TR6's though.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Yup,mine had it.The tuner fixed this issue when I did my upper.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
My current tune has the classic terminator stall. For me it only happens on slow moving left turns. Annoying as hell...

Oh well getting a new tune anyway....

TRBO VNM

to the OP, as already covered, it is most likely just a tune adjustment, which they should be able to make the change and email it to you.

My current tune has the classic terminator stall. For me it only happens on slow moving left turns. Annoying as hell...

Oh well getting a new tune anyway....

thanks for posting. sucks that you have a stalling issue, but it does prove my point that it isn't just draw thru MAF setups that stall on turbo cars and is something that needs to be accounted for in the tune.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The majority of new custom tunes should include the code for the stall fix. At least that has always been my understanding.

PuffAdder03

Established Member
Thank you everyone for your input. I figured it would be the tune so the first chance I get I will get it taken care of. Thank you again everyone

Users who are viewing this thread