Bye bye number 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Without proof of a bad piston, (Write up or pictures) this thread is just a rumor mill starting to roll down hill. Its momentum needs to be stopped.

Sosick

Established Member
Rumor mill? Geesh guys I love Ford as much as the next guy. I'm not trying to start shyt. I don't personally understand why anyone would go through making some shyt up. I told you guys what happened. Check my posts I don't care. I never bought a tune because of the failures. I don't know about you guys but I don't have the money to replace a motor so I didn't go that route. Yes I put up a friends items for sale. I posted his exhaust too but nobody mentioned that... I'm sorry I don't check this every ten minutes to see who posted. Point is the air intake idol issue was like six months ago or more. I seriously doubt that caused this so much later. No need to lie. There was no tune on the car. They were supposedly going to check that when they put in the trans though I'm not sure why that matters on a manual... My thing is why didn't I have any symptoms of a blown number eight when I took the car in? The casr was giving me no signs at all.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Did you get the official ford diagnosis, yet? A guy on s197 forums blew his and had a legit ford diagnosis... The stock engines are failing now, it was only a matter of time. The tunes people were putting on the cars just quickened the resulting effects. I'm pretty sure if enough of these stock engines start breaking ford will release a TSB and all will be good.

Sosick

Established Member
By saying without proof are you insinuating I'm lying or that Ford is wrong? I mean I'm just telling you guys what I was told. They are sending down a tech from Detroit. I'll make sure to update you guys on his findings so I'm not labeled as whatever it is you guys want to call me.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
By saying without proof are you insinuating I'm lying or that Ford is wrong? I mean I'm just telling you guys what I was told. They are sending down a tech from Detroit. I'll make sure to update you guys on his findings so I'm not labeled as whatever it is you guys want to call me.

I am very interested. If you legitimately trashed #8 on a stock, untuned motor, that is significant.

Mike

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I don't care if they have knock sensors to pull timing when they start to knock from running 87 octane, they were built to run premium gas. Running 87 octane, and beating on a car with high compression aren't 2 things that mix well. On top of that, the car had problems with air flow from leaving the air box loose. The PCM can only do so much to save a motor before damage starts to occur.

Running 87 isn't why this guy's engine blew, if that is what really happened.

BV600

Established Member
didnt the OP say a piston in the back of the motor?
Isnt #8 up front

Sosick

Established Member
25,000 miles. I'm telling you guys my motor went up with no tune on the car. I have no reason to lie about that. If I had a tune then motor went boom and I took it off I wouldn't have even posted... There was no tune. Now my question is shouldn't there have been a sign other than a check engine light?

dan02gt

Established Member
Sosick you had to know that you were going to get called a lier for saying that a non tuned stock car blew #8. I've been told by people on the internet that #8 doesn't let go period on stock cars, and your stupid if you think otherwise.

All joking aside I'm really curious to see what they find when they tear it down. Please post up some pictures if you can get some.

Benchracer

Established Member
As far as running 87 octane. Whether it is safe or not, Ford is to blame not the OP. If it was unsafe then Ford shouldnt have said that it is ok to run.

Mika

Established Member
Time will tell. One way or the other. I really want this #8 to be a non issue for Ford.

Mika

dan02gt

Established Member
I want it to be a non issue for Ford too, but if it is I don't want them to stick their heads in the sand and blame it on tunes or whatever. I would like them to come out with a fix. Like the coolant mod guys used to do to the old 32v 4.6 to keep the back cylinders cooler.

If it is a problem with the engine resale is going to be crap on these cars unless it is addressed.

I don't know if Ford is concerned about these issues or not, but people here are blaiming gas and K&N air filters which is a massive stretch. It's like they don't want to believe it could be a problem with the design.

davidhuff

Established Member
25,000 miles. I'm telling you guys my motor went up with no tune on the car. I have no reason to lie about that. If I had a tune then motor went boom and I took it off I wouldn't have even posted... There was no tune. Now my question is shouldn't there have been a sign other than a check engine light?
I think your motor held up great for 25,000 miles with you beating the hell out of it.Do you want a free ride from Ford Motor Company?

Quickstang5o

Established Member

I couldn't feel anything when mine lost compression. Just that light.

Shaun@AED

I've personally talked with those that have lost stock motors due to the same problem. Stock, never modified, never tuned motors. They don't post the story for fear of being bashed.
At PRI we got wind of a stock Boss losing a #8 on a Track Key tune.

If it was Aftermarket Tune related, no Boss should ever go on a TK tune.

I don't want to start any drama, but based of the info we've collected from those that have torn down these motors, those owners that have had thier motors blow, and actual data logs of factory tune issues with A/F readings, IMO the factory tune is the cause, and I've seen eveidence to support this. Adding a Cold air, and a tune with added timing/turned off Knock sensors simply makes things happen faster.
It also takes a certain kind of driving in some cases.... There are timers in the calibrations.... They are long enough that a 1/4mile blast won't trigger the ECU to change the tune, but a 150mph speed run can.

There are some other contributing hardware factors, like Mod Motors all running hotter on the #8, oil consumption thru the PCV into the intake and the #8 runner being the back most intake runner where most of the oil will be under hard acceleration, etc.
The entire motor is seeing the condition, #8 has more physics against it and therefore it goes first.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I think your motor held up great for 25,000 miles with you beating the hell out of it.Do you want a free ride from Ford Motor Company?

I think a stock motor should hold together for the life of the car, even if the driver is pounding on it every day with enthusiasm. This is a 412 hp Mustang, not a Scion XB. These cars are built for performance and sold as tire burning, "muscle" cars. I think he certainly does deserve a new engine, courtesy of Ford.

I've personally talked with those that have lost stock motors due to the same problem. Stock, never modified, never tuned motors. They don't post the story for fear of being bashed.
At PRI we got wind of a stock Boss losing a #8 on a Track Key tune.

If it was Aftermarket Tune related, no Boss should ever go on a TK tune.

I don't want to start any drama, but based of the info we've collected from those that have torn down these motors, those owners that have had thier motors blow, and actual data logs of factory tune issues with A/F readings, IMO the factory tune is the cause, and I've seen eveidence to support this. Adding a Cold air, and a tune with added timing/turned off Knock sensors simply makes things happen faster.
It also takes a certain kind of driving in some cases.... There are timers in the calibrations.... They are long enough that a 1/4mile blast won't trigger the ECU to change the tune, but a 150mph speed run can.

There are some other contributing hardware factors, like Mod Motors all running hotter on the #8, oil consumption thru the PCV into the intake and the #8 runner being the back most intake runner where most of the oil will be under hard acceleration, etc.
The entire motor is seeing the condition, #8 has more physics against it and therefore it goes first.

Here you go, I think this is known as sage wisdom.

Mike

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I want it to be a non issue for Ford too, but if it is I don't want them to stick their heads in the sand and blame it on tunes or whatever. I would like them to come out with a fix. Like the coolant mod guys used to do to the old 32v 4.6 to keep the back cylinders cooler.

If it is a problem with the engine resale is going to be crap on these cars unless it is addressed.

I don't know if Ford is concerned about these issues or not, but people here are blaiming gas and K&N air filters which is a massive stretch. It's like they don't want to believe it could be a problem with the design.

sounds like a 6 post engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread