Bye bye number 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Do you seriously think ford put the same tune strategy in the F150? I'm lost with you asking why the horsepower is less on 87 than 91, because it has to pull timing.

The air leak could of been the big problem depending how long he drove like that. The 87 octane gives less safety margin than 91+ will, even with timing pulled, compression is still compression and if he got bad gas, combined with the K&N, leaning the air already and the leak, i wouldn't doubt the motor issue

I in no way think Ford used the same tune for both the truck an the mustang. But there share the same engine which is why Ford is able to use 87 on both f150 an mustang with no issues. You don't under stand how the new pcm works its change a lot compared to the old one. It detects the gas rating when it does that it then can chose what strategy to run an when running on 87 it detunes it self. When it runs 91 it then runs at its full performance. But it doesn't matter what rating it is because ford made it to run on either an does it safely. Now if he got bad gas it still wouldn't matter if its 87 or 91 it would of still caused an issue.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I in no way think Ford used the same tune for both the truck an the mustang. But there share the same engine which is why Ford is able to use 87 on both f150 an mustang with no issues. You don't under stand how the new pcm works its change a lot compared to the old one. It detects the gas rating when it does that it then can chose what strategy to run an when running on 87 it detunes it self. When it runs 91 it then runs at its full performance. But it doesn't matter what rating it is because ford made it to run on either an does it safely. Now if he got bad gas it still wouldn't matter if its 87 or 91 it would of still caused an issue.
Focus is the same way but they recommend 87. But there are some noticible performance improvements when running 91. Not a huge change but noticible

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I can see the air leak being a contributing cause, but I doubt the K&N would even come close enough to leaning out the mixture. I datalogged my car on the stock tune with LTs. catted X, and catback and at WOT the car was running a .77 lambda. i know that it is obviously post maf but the car was obviously compensating for the increased exhaust flow.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Focus is the same way but they recommend 87. But there are some noticible performance improvements when running 91. Not a huge change but noticible

I can believe that. With the new pcm Ford shared a lot of same tunning tech across there whole line. Even better the new focus is direct injection

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I can believe that. With the new pcm Ford shared a lot of same tunning tech across there whole line. Even better the new focus is direct injection
Yeah and I love mine :thumbsup:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yeah and I love mine :thumbsup:

I havent driven a new one. But its a win win. More power an better mpg with direct injection. Id like to see the new st with the Eco boost.

Last edited:

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Op probably isn't fessing up to a tune and/or any other issues or mods in fear of it being traced back to him and him not getting his work covered under warranty.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Op probably isn't fessing up to a tune and/or any other issues or mods in fear of it being traced back to him and him not getting his work covered under warranty.

Well good luck to him on that I've been hearing Ford can see if its ever been tuned an is denying most of the engine replacements from tunning.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
this is where I would put my money

I havent driven a new one. But its a win win. More power an better mpg with direct injection. Id like to see the new st with the 2.0 Eco boost.
I wanted an ST but could wait the 8 or 10 months it was going to be so I ordered up a loaded titanium 5 door. 33 mpg while doing 75-80 is awesome.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

I wanted an ST but could wait the 8 or 10 months it was going to be so I ordered up a loaded titanium 5 door. 33 mpg while doing 75-80 is awesome.

Cant complain about that you get all the nice new features. There very sporty on the inside. I think they did a nice job on the style inside an out. Congrats on the new car.

SicShelby09

Banned

Lolol. You obviously know more than a certified ford tech huh?? Because that's what he is. A damn great one at that. I trust him with my car and so do tons of other people I know.

01bluesnake

Established Member

Yes, the PCM just runs different timing table's depending what feedback it gets from the knock sensor, but still gets feedback via the knock sensor once it actually detects engine knock and not octane.

I can see the air leak being a contributing cause, but I doubt the K&N would even come close enough to leaning out the mixture. I datalogged my car on the stock tune with LTs. catted X, and catback and at WOT the car was running a .77 lambda. i know that it is obviously post maf but the car was obviously compensating for the increased exhaust flow.

I meant that the K&N just added to his problems allowing more air to through the motor combined with the air leak, not that it is a problem by itself.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Lolol. You obviously know more than a certified ford tech huh?? Because that's what he is. A damn great one at that. I trust him with my car and so do tons of other people I know.

Lol, thanks.

We could keep going back and forth about octane levels and compression, but the fact is compression requires octane to run properly. Timing can be pulled and tunes detuned which is fine, but when someone drives the car like its running the optimal octane and using it's to its limits is when things can happen. The knock sensors are a ton better than previous systems, but all still depend on knock to do their job which in any motor is a bad idea.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

That's nice :banana:.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member

It would make sense, since he is selling or talked about a handheld programmer. Not sure on details, I didn't look it up but I think someone else did.
Something just doesn't add up. I wonder where the OP is?

Those things are awesome, a buddy of mine has one and I like it a lot. Fun car, really nice and good gas mileage. The technology is cool to mess around with too. :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread