Built engine time.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
JDM cams are too big for 80% of the cars out there. They got massive overlap and lift and really tax the timing components and make drivability funky, especially with a 6" throttle body. Thankfully he has Lund and can tune around them. My cams are extremely mild in comparison and don't thump nearly as hard but I'm looking at broad power range vs peak power and I wanted smooth operations as well.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Understanding you're still on the base tune, could you provide more details on your statement :
" They're beast cams for sure, driveability is a little crazy, " .....thanks..
The car is lazy below 2k rpms, what I mean by that is you have to give it a good amount of gas off the line to get it going. The cold start with these cams is beyond insane. I'd say that's the one thing I hate about them, the car will idle at 2k for the first 30 to 40 seconds, once it calms down they sound amazing.

Now the good stuff, after you pass 2k RPMs the engine wakes up big time, and as long as you're above 2k in any gear the car has crazy TQ. Now that I have gotten use to how the car drives its not bad and it's a lot of fun, it just took some time getting used to.
Every cam'd car ive driven lost low speed drivability compared to stock meaning, it will have the tendency to buck or hiccup lugging it around slowly. You have to learn to use the clutch around parking lots to keep the car running.

Also, traffic jams on the highway will become a nightmare.

this gets worse with more aggressive cams, ... the milder cams (NSR) and the like should not suffer from this as much.
You're exactly right, the super stock cams are very aggressive and I probably wouldn't recommend them in a stock 5.8/5.4, the NSR cams are more street friendly.
JDM cams are too big for 80% of the cars out there. They got massive overlap and lift and really tax the timing components and make drivability funky, especially with a 6" throttle body. Thankfully he has Lund and can tune around them. My cams are extremely mild in comparison and don't thump nearly as hard but I'm looking at broad power range vs peak power and I wanted smooth operations as well.
Agreed, I probably wouldn't recommend anyone with the stock 5.8/5.4 to run them. When I had the engine built I did Ferrea valves, new FGT lifters/rockers, Accufab secondary chains and tensioners, billet oil pump gears and billet crank sprocket, I did everything they told me to do that would make the engine live a long life. From everything I've looked at these cams are very similar to MHS stage 3 cams. They're aggressive as hell lol.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
The car is lazy below 2k rpms, what I mean by that is you have to give it a good amount of gas off the line to get it going. The cold start with these cams is beyond insane. I'd say that's the one thing I hate about them, the car will idle at 2k for the first 30 to 40 seconds, once it calms down they sound amazing.

Now the good stuff, after you pass 2k RPMs the engine wakes up big time, and as long as you're above 2k in any gear the car has crazy TQ. Now that I have gotten use to how the car drives its not bad and it's a lot of fun, it just took some time getting used to.

You're exactly right, the super stock cams are very aggressive and I probably wouldn't recommend them in a stock 5.8/5.4, the NSR cams are more street friendly.

Agreed, I probably wouldn't recommend anyone with the stock 5.8/5.4 to run them. When I had the engine built I did Ferrea valves, new FGT lifters/rockers, Accufab secondary chains and tensioners, billet oil pump gears and billet crank sprocket, I did everything they told me to do that would make the engine live a long life. From everything I've looked at these cams are very similar to MHS stage 3 cams. They're aggressive as hell lol.
You're still on the small 8mm chains though and even if you are on the 10mm chains, they are a wear item. They should be replaced at some point and huge cams on a street car with alot of miles needs to replace them every year or couple of years. The more you drive, the more wear on them.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You're still on the small 8mm chains though and even if you are on the 10mm chains, they are a wear item. They should be replaced at some point and huge cams on a street car with alot of miles needs to replace them every year or couple of years. The more you drive, the more wear on them.
I do wish I had done the 10mm chains, but JDM didn't make it seem like a big deal and the 8mm chain would be ok.
Now that the engine is broken in i'm going to be cutting back on driving it so much, the car currently has 12,890 miles on it and I don't see it going up much.

Justin do you know what the cam specs are on your cams? From what I've seen these are the specs for the super stock cams 238/247 @ .050 Duration and .545”/.545” max lift. The MHS stage 3 cams are 246 / 254 @ .050" and .550" / .550 lift.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
You got more exhaust duration and lift. What's your LSA?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1645554701211.jpg
    FB_IMG_1645554701211.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 85

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
So a well known tuner told me once
"Where do cams like to operate at, higher RPMS"
"Where do stock engines NOT like operating at, higher RPMS"

So I guess, question is, and might be an all together different thread topic, does anyone agree with this? I would think cost of cams on a stock motor having to stay under 6400rpm is a WASTE

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member

So I guess, question is, and might be an all together different thread topic, does anyone agree with this? I would think cost of cams on a stock motor having to stay under 6400rpm is a WASTE
If you stay under 6700rpm, stock cams do really well. But the quickest and fastest 13/14s have cams and live over 7k rpms. Not all rods leave the block

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
I'd be interested in OP's thoughts BUT--

Every cam'd car ive driven lost low speed drivability compared to stock meaning, it will have the tendency to buck or hiccup lugging it around slowly. You have to learn to use the clutch around parking lots to keep the car running.

Also, traffic jams on the highway will become a nightmare.

this gets worse with more aggressive cams, ... the milder cams (NSR) and the like should not suffer from this as much.
Thats good info.thanks.They say they make up to 100hp.Some claim to have gotten that and more!!

Cobra Therapy

Established Member

I agree,a big waste!!Big cams and a built block equals from what i hear and have seen on some videos is between 7400-7800.JDM engineering says with those came their COBRA JET cars went up to 8000 RPM!!

dale.baker

Established Member

I just took my timing cover off in November to inspect my 10mm timing components with 3700 miles and 6 years of service from my JDM build. Everything looked almost new with no wear noticed on any of the components. FYI this should put to bed your concerns for wear on the drivetrain/cam related components. Yes I had JDM do the work in NJ. Got to find a better route than I95, its a killer trailering a car!!!! Hope this helps.

dale.baker

Established Member
I agree,a big waste!!Big cams and a built block equals from what i hear and have seen on some videos is between 7400-7800.JDM engineering says with those came their COBRA JET cars went up to 8000 RPM!!
Mine went 13 pulls on JDM's dyno at 7600. One pull was at 8,000 to find the rev limiter. FYI

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
I just took my timing cover off in November to inspect my 10mm timing components with 3700 miles and 6 years of service from my JDM build. Everything looked almost new with no wear noticed on any of the components. FYI this should put to bed your concerns for wear on the drivetrain/cam related components. Yes I had JDM do the work in NJ. Got to find a better route than I95, its a killer trailering a car!!!! Hope this helps.
Atleast you pulled your timing cover. Recommend that every couple years depending on how you use the car. If it's a dyno queen or cars and coffee cruiser with minimal miles, timing components probably go a long way

dale.baker

Established Member
8000 mmmmmm thats screaming !!Did it make power up to 8000 or just up to 7600?
No more power but I'm on the stock fuel system pumps and we had 12* of timing and we were at 11.80 A/F ratio and did not want to go any further. Outside temp was 36* so very good D/A. Jim Sr. has got so much experience with these engines and fuel management systems that when he said we could not make any more power because we were out of fuel I was really excited. 806HP @ 7600 RPM on 93 pump gas with 12* of timing was all I could ask for. Jim did say if I was to install the third fuel pump and run 100+octane race fuel he could bump the timing up to around 20* and this would have resulted in a gain of about 100 RWHP. I can't hook up the 806 RWHP so why spend any more money or time and just leave it alone. I have not touched a wrench on this engine in six years. As Jay (Bimini) said there is no reason to wring these motors out. My shift light is set at 6200 and my slow 65 year old reflex's probably let it rev to 6700 when shifting. Get it in high gear and let this engine pull like a freight train through the traps. Sorry for rambling.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great stuff in here. Too bad it’s too cold to drive my car.
As mentioned earlier you don’t drive a cammed car like one with stock cams but overall I’m very happy with my combo and it checks all the boxes I was after.
I may inspect the engine next winter but the used oil analysis and plugs aren’t giving me any signs of trouble, so it’s hard to justify tearing into it.
-J

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Lots of great info and knowledge in here, it's awesome hearing from all you guys especially everyone running the super stock cams and engines built by JDM. that's a big reason I went with them. Fingers crossed my engine stays happy and healthy for a long time to come.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You got more exhaust duration and lift. What's your LSA?
I have no idea what my LSA is, JDM doesn't show what the actual specs are on the SS cams, the info I have is from other guys that have had the cams checked out.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Fun pro tip Steve.
I just enjoy cruising the car. When you’re doing say 45-55 on the roads or really even slower roads, when you become up on red lights, I just kick it in neutral and let it idle coming up to red lights. No engine braking or bucking, just using the brakes and coasting to slow down while listening to the cams and engine. It’ll cruise in 5th/6th gear under 2000rpm and not buck or have bad manners. Im not the most techy person but I really need to get the 360 camera mounted on the glass roof to film some good old American muscle fun.
Hopefully the Holley EFI fixes my only complaints with the factory computer idiosyncrasies.
If you keep it at 9/10ths I think you can keep the factory ECU and be happy.
It’s really just the DBW TB fail safes and load limits and BS tgat have taken enjoyment out of it for me. I’ve enjoyed having aftermarket EFI in the past and if I can keep the car as is and incorporate Holley EFI I’ll be happy.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread