Build date for 14's that might have 15 engine parts?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I guess the only thing concrete now is that some late 14's did indeed have the 15' head castings as many have been able to verify. Where the cutoff date is, who knows. Mine is a 06/11/14 build and it does have the 15' castings.

The next question is what valves, rods and pistons were used in these engines with the newer castings. I have no plans in the near future to teardown, but I'm sure as time goes on cars built in the last month will be modded and pulled apart. It would be nice to keep this thread on the educational path and note build dates and then we can really narrow down when the 15' head casting switchover occurred.

I think some other member said their torque converter was different in their late 14' 5.0. Would be nice to verify what the difference was and what that build date was since the 15 got a different converter.

Absolutely. My car had the later style torque converter and does not accept the 11-14(early) versions. Circle D has since updated their product to accommodate the later 2014 style(and presumably the 2015 is the same).

EDIT: My car build date is 6/14 and also has the 15 style head castings.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
I will post pictures of my heads later, I couldn't see the difference you guys were talking about. I will be swapping the oil pan on my motor over the weekend hopefully. Is there anyway to look at the bottom end and tell if I have 15 parts? I really doubt I could see anything but I was just curious.

4VFTW

Established Member
I will post pictures of my heads later, I couldn't see the difference you guys were talking about. I will be swapping the oil pan on my motor over the weekend hopefully. Is there anyway to look at the bottom end and tell if I have 15 parts? I really doubt I could see anything but I was just curious.
the Boss rods are beefier on the side beams...post some pictures if you can.

Turbo5.0

Established Member

Look at post 63 and 65 and study where the casting makes a curve on the early heads and goes straight across on the later heads. Also on the lower side of the port, notice how there is much more material on the later head casting.

What is your build date? On your door jamb sticker, look at the small numbers on the lower part of the sticker. It will look like this X YYYY MM DD ZZZZ Where Y the year, M is month, D is day.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
I have a coyote crate motor. The box from FRPP said 7/17/14 and the bar code on the valve cover said EG 397 AA. I will look at the pics of my heads again and see if I see it. I will have to upload them to an image hosting site and link them in. I haven't had a chance to yet with the holidays, but later today when I get to a laptop I will. Bolts to lift the motor still haven't come in from Fastenal even though they should have been in yesterday, so unfortunately they won't be here until Monday. Class 10.9 bolts are uber gay and hard to come by, and unfortunately that's what you need to safely lift one of these motors. So if all goes according to plan we should have the pan pulled on monday night.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
Ok here we go, what does everyone think 14 or 15 heads? I also have the 3 bolt water pump pulley.

https://flic.kr/p/qyw171

https://flic.kr/p/qypSvF

Is the difference in the amount of material around the bolt highlighted in yellow or the shape of the port?

Painted 2.jpg

Last edited:

Turbo5.0

Established Member
Ok here we go, what does everyone think 14 or 15 heads? I also have the 3 bolt water pump pulley.

https://flic.kr/p/qyw171

https://flic.kr/p/qypSvF

Is the difference in the amount of material around the bolt highlighted in yellow or the shape of the port?

View attachment 31993

Yours looks like the 15 style casting from what I can see. Not exactly where you drew the yellow, but you see where that housing bolt is and the casting goes toward the rear of the engine from what I would say is the mid low area of bolt. On the 11-14 heads, that area where you drew the yellow would follow further up (toward the driver side) before making a "U" and turning around the port.

Your pic shows the casting taking a sort "90" or rounded "L" from the bolt and not a "U" shape. I say you got the 15 style casting. If you really study the pics the differences become clear.

If you pull the pan, please take any pics of the rods/pistons if you can....inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
I will be sure to! Just hope I will have everything I need to do it by Monday. :rockon:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
You'll have to pull the windage tray in addition to the pan but I can assure you us fellow late 14 owners would greatly appreciate it.

AKDMB

Established Member
Yeah man, I will. Swapping to a Moroso pan so the motor will fit in a Factory Five Mk 4 Kit ('65 Cobra Replica). I see the difference in the heads now, Thanks Guys. There's no denying they are different heads. I will get out my actual camera not my phone and try to get every angle I possibly can. I will likely end up with more than 20 or 30 different shots of the bottom end just to be sure you guys have as much info as possible as to decide if the bottom end is from a 15 or not. Just got my workspace nice and lit up tonight with some new work lights.

ford20

Established Member

AKDMB

Established Member
Here's the portion of the motor that we are talking about, at the right front corner of the intake manifold

16099722456_84c954e4d0_z.jpg

And for the people like me that didn't see the difference we were discussing at first

2014 Head

Awesome 14 Head.jpg

2015 Head

Awesome 15 Head.jpg

Last edited:

SoSlowGT

Established Member
Ok, I'll chime in. read this thread and went to check out my car this morning. My GT has a build date of 2014/03/07, It has the 3 bolt water pump, engine code EG 405 AA and what appears to be 2015 heads.

Is there a way to find out from Ford with the engine code, what all was used in the build?

IMG_3707 by aelia2011, on Flickr
IMG_3709 by aelia2011, on Flickr
IMG_3708 by aelia2011, on Flickr

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Any of you guys had your cars dynoed to see if they make more hp then the 11-13 cars?

98Cobraman

Established Member
I don't think the numbers will be seen because we would still be tuned for the cam timing on gt cams and not for the cams of the 15. The small difference the heads would make could be as close to different numbers from a different dyno. I talked to my tuner today and he said the boss cam timing is quite a bit different than the gt. Also shaun said that some 14s seemed to run worse stock than other 14s and all 13s maybe this is a hint not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread