Build date for 14's that might have 15 engine parts?

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I bought what I think is a late production 14 GT and just read some of them have 15 internals/heads. Maybe that's bogus, thought I would ask just so I know. Thanks!

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
In no way is this possible.

Say 2017 you blow your motor, you're not getting a 2015+ Motor. So yeah, sorry to disappoint, believe me I too wished I had the '15 motor in my car.

Last edited:

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I thought it might be bogus, just thought I'd humor myself. That I did! Maybe Boss internals???? :)

Vert

Established Member
I highly doubt it. Thought I read a thread awhile back with the op thinking some GT's might have had the remaining boss rods and pistons installed on early 14 builds. All is wishful thinking.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I'll be working at a Ford dealer again starting December 1, so I'll look into it there.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I love this forum.

Truth is none on you know what Ford actually did on late production 14s.

Its a well known fact that the 13+ motors have improved pistions and ring lands. It's also a well known fact that some come with piston cooling oil jets and some do not.

Why is it such a stretch to imagine that some of the late 14s had a 15 motor installed?

While doubtful in my eyes as well... i dont see it impossible.

This guy believes his 14 has a 15 motor and has torn it down and proved it...... http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1042041-My-2014-build

FATHERFORD

Established Member
I know for sure my heads on my 14 are 15 heads. My engine builder said the rods and pistons look different then other 11-14 motors he built, so I am assuming my rods/pistons were 15's as well. He also mentioned about the water pump being different. The pulley is 3 bolt like the 15 and not 4 bolt like the 2011-14?

If I am reading my sticker right, it is made 05/08/14

Last edited:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Do we even have a clue what/when the build dates might for some lucky 14 owners? Deeysha? Very interesting. Mine was build late Aug 13 and pretty sure I'm out. LOL

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Not sure on the engine but my May 22 2014 built car required a different torque converter than early 14's.... Is there any way to identify the heads while the engine is still in the car? My car has the 3 bolt wp pulley as well. I really don't care if mine has any 15 parts or not as the motor it has will handle anything I'll ever do BUT I am curious as how to visually know the difference.

Last edited:

Way2QWK

Established Member
Ok you made me go check mine......it has 3 bolts also built may 5. That would be sweet to have some 15 parts.

stags

Established Member
I read another post on the blue oval forum which indicated the last day of production for MY 2014 was 6/20... My car was built 6/20... and the sequence number is 7190... can anyone confirm what the VIN on the last 2014 produced was? (GT and all mustangs). Would be hella cool to have one of the last made cars

I don't doubt the OP's statement based on pure business logic. Not saying I am an expert in automotive production, but I do have some business experience. And I am bored and moderately drunk (NOT DRIVING!!!) so I will provide this hypothetical

Summary is at the bottom for TLDR folks

Let's say you're the Ford production manager. Your demand planning team estimates you will sell 1000 (Number pulled out of my ass for example purposes) units in MY14. SO at the beginning of the run you order the sum of the parts you need to make your thousand units while accounting for possible defective and damaged units. Say then that the car is a wild success, you're sitting halfway through the year, and you've already been able to sell 700 units. Now, basic economics tells us that you will continue to produce the cars as long as there is a marginal benefit to doing so (eg a buyer and profit to be made). So you call dial up the supply chain and tell your people you now forecast sales of 1300 units for the model year so you need components to produce an additional 300 units. All of your suppliers internal and external are continuing to produce and deliver components in a just in time fashion. But Foundry XYZ which produces your engine internals is a busy group so they made a mass run of your units, stored them in a warehouse, and promptly retooled for another customer. Retooling for a 300 unit run is cost prohibitive. So you say well hell how do I get some internals and still be able to make money on this car? A few days pass and a design team engineer says hey, we just sent an order to Foundry XYZ to get our internals done for our 2015 model year and they are compatible with the other components needed to make the MY14, so why don't we tag on an additional 300 units? So you do it. You make the cars and make money even with a slightly lower margin because the MY15 pistons cost more. And some very delighted 14 customers are tickled speechless.

So key takeaways (TLDR):
Modern production is about running as lean as possible to maximize return on investment. So when Ford orders it's parts the accountants decree that you get the X# parts to make Y cars assuming Z% defective/damaged parts.
Because dormant capital doesn't make $$$ owners will run production lines 24/7/365 if they can sell units. This may mean using the same line for multiple parts in different production runs.
Forecasting is like playing craps. I don't know much about the build process but I do know that forecasts are badly wrong more often than they are ballpark correct.
Miss your forecast but can sell more units with a marginal benefit and you'll do it even if your bottom line is smaller in the additional units. Missing low is also better than missing high.
So, we can conclude that the forecasters probably screwed the pooch, Ford wanted more units sold because they could still make money, even if they had to use 15 pistons because it would have been cost prohibitive to retool a line to make 14 pistons

If you doubt this consider the alternative of this story; We don't know how many units we are gonna sell so we are gonna order a crap ton of parts and what ever we don't use we will roll over into the S550. Might have worked between 13 and 14, but not 14 and 15. The moment it was found out it would be a PR nightmare for Ford and everyone who had just bought an S550 would be steaming mad. But in the inverse scenario above... If my car has 15 parts I will be presently surprised.

92 Couper

Established Member
I know for sure my heads on my 14 are 15 heads. My engine builder said the rods and pistons look different then other 11-14 motors he built, so I am assuming my rods/pistons were 15's as well. He also mentioned about the water pump being different. The pulley is 3 bolt like the 15 and not 4 bolt like the 2011-14?

If I am reading my sticker right, it is made 05/08/14

Hey FatherFord,

Can you pop off you driver side coil cover and tell us what you engine code is? Mine was built on 6/17/14 (last week of production) and is a code of EG405AA. Would like to see what code yours is to compare.

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread