Build date for 14's that might have 15 engine parts?

imeyers302

Established Member
I am not talking about a roush blower, I am talking about a roush car from a dealer. Comes with warranty. I have searched mustang broken rod, mustang failed rod, coyote broken rod and coyote failed rod. Found one from a 4.6 and one from a 2012 boss but that's about it. One other one where guy was running high boost and over 750whp and beating the hell out of it. If I am searching for the wrong thing then direct me to a post where it happened. All of the people from this thread must be real lucky.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?961980-Longevity-of-a-coyote-motor-supercharged

Not trying to argue against a built motor. If going for high hp and you are gonna race the hell out of the thing its necessary but for the average street mustang driver the coyote will handle reasonable levels of boost without issue. I mean Jesus does someone really need more than 600-650whp for the street? Thinking about it this could be the wrong place for a question like that.

Last edited:

Krace

Established Member
ive seen 2 stock coyote motors fail in person both 2014 cars. One had the wrist pin brake away from the piston " this one made over 700tq turbo", and the other had a rod crack from hydro-locking the motor, this one failed after about 2 weeks of beating on it "600tq TVS".

JTS_7

Established Member
I am not talking about a roush blower, I am talking about a roush car from a dealer. Comes with warranty. I have searched mustang broken rod, mustang failed rod, coyote broken rod and coyote failed rod. Found one from a 4.6 and one from a 2012 boss but that's about it. One other one where guy was running high boost and over 750whp and beating the hell out of it. If I am searching for the wrong thing then direct me to a post where it happened. All of the people from this thread must be real lucky.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?961980-Longevity-of-a-coyote-motor-supercharged

Not trying to argue against a built motor. If going for high hp and you are gonna race the hell out of the thing its necessary but for the average street mustang driver the coyote will handle reasonable levels of boost without issue. I mean Jesus does someone really need more than 600-650whp for the street? Thinking about it this could be the wrong place for a question like that.

Im talking Roush car from a dealer. They are an absolute shit ton of money, big deal if they end up having to replace a short block under warranty, which doesn't cost them much. Furthermore on that subject, if you have ever examined a Roush tune or just had a pretty good understanding of the copperhead ECU, you would see the various and MANY things they do to eliminate or prevent such situations. Basically like gambling, they know you most likely will not ever need to warranty because of the manner in which they set their tunes up minimizing/limiting certain things.

I would say 650-700hp on good fuel and a good tune is pretty do able long term. But it's a ticking time bomb past that for sure.

As for the snapped rod. Sometimes people don't post online, sometimes it's in a random
thread such as this. Or they just get lost in the search. But I can assure you I've seen over 5 on this forum alone, a handful local, and more on other social media sites. Just call up a reputable shop like JPC/Rev Auto/AED/PBH. These are mass produced rods we are talking about, that's why you see some people snap them at 400 wheel then you have people like Justin running 8s.

imeyers302

Established Member
Im talking Roush car from a dealer. They are an absolute shit ton of money, big deal if they end up having to replace a short block under warranty, which doesn't cost them much. Furthermore on that subject, if you have ever examined a Roush tune or just had a pretty good understanding of the copperhead ECU, you would see the various and MANY things they do to eliminate or prevent such situations. Basically like gambling, they know you most likely will not ever need to warranty because of the manner in which they set their tunes up minimizing/limiting certain things.

I would say 650-700hp on good fuel and a good tune is pretty do able long term. But it's a ticking time bomb past that for sure.

As for the snapped rod. Sometimes people don't post online, sometimes it's in a random
thread such as this. Or they just get lost in the search. But I can assure you I've seen over 5 on this forum alone, a handful local, and more on other social media sites. Just call up a reputable shop like JPC/Rev Auto/AED/PBH. These are mass produced rods we are talking about, that's why you see some people snap them at 400 wheel then you have people like Justin running 8s.

Agreed 100%. Past 600whp is asking for trouble but all things being equal FI with a good tune with 600whp or under should safe. Should being the operative word. And if keeping to 500-550whp (which makes for a really fun street car) some superchargers like edlebrock can be bought with a powertrain warranty. Edlebrocks warranty is free for stage 1 kits. Roush offers up to a 5 year powertrain warranty. I believe vortech also offers powertrain warranties for stage 1 superchargers. All offer over $10,000 in engine coverage alone. What would the install cost be to have a set of forged rods and pistons installed?

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news...in-warranty-for-e-force-supercharger-systems/

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=261

Knightwolf

Hi guys:

Just joined cuz this thread intrigued me.. came from Anything Coyote.. so I went out and took photo's of my door jam, and as best I could of the heads. What it looks like to me, is my car was built in June 2014, however, the engine code is EQ 405 AA. Also, from what I can see underneath my Cj intake, the driver's side is in fact a 2015 head casting, but the passenger side is a 2014 head casting.... Wtf? Look at the extra material on the driver's side vs the curves that follow the intake exactly on the passenger side.. totally different :/

Photo's added here...

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Knightwolf70/library/14 Mustang GT Trk Pk Engine

XTC

Established Member
My car has a build date of March 2014, and an engine build date of January 24th 2014

Whats the actual build date for the cut off... mine is obviously pretty early

XTC

Established Member
Great vid. My car has the 3 bolt water pump so does that automatically mean it has 15 parts... even though it was built january 2014?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Great vid. My car has the 3 bolt water pump so does that automatically mean it has 15 parts... even though it was built january 2014?

No, unfortunately not. My new car is a February 2014 build and has the 3 bolt water pump pulley but the older 11-14 style heads.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
i have the 3 bolt water pump and the 15 heads, if they are actually 2015 heads. too lazy to look at my build date but i bought the car strait off the trailer in December of 2013.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
holy crap not good. Did you see it coming or did the jeep get you completely off gaurd?

Hope everyone is ok and look forward to what comes next!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
holy crap not good. Did you see it coming or did the jeep get you completely off gaurd?

Hope everyone is ok and look forward to what comes next!

Didn't see it coming (thankfully).

And thank you, new whip should do well :)

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Damn! Tough luck for the car. Didn't your previous Mustang get hit also? I am wondering if the inertia switch worked on the Fore setup. Did the pumps shut down when it was rear ended?

liter of cola

Established Member
my 2014 gt performance pack was built 05/2014 and has a Shelby oil cap. I bought the car brand new... didn't notice until I took it in for the first oil change and they asked me if I added that. weird.

UPDATE: just checked and I also have the 3 bolt water pully

also has anyone noticed if this is a pattern with performance pack cars? will check my heads soon... just thinking that maybe its performance pack cars with the different heads

Last edited:

FATHERFORD

Established Member
my 2014 gt performance pack was built 05/2014 and has a Shelby oil cap. I bought the car brand new... didn't notice until I took it in for the first oil change and they asked me if I added that. weird.

UPDATE: just checked and I also have the 3 bolt water pully

also has anyone noticed if this is a pattern with performance pack cars? will check my heads soon... just thinking that maybe its performance pack cars with the different heads

I had a base model GT...

Users who are viewing this thread