Build date for 14's that might have 15 engine parts?

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Take your VIN, got to Ford OEM parts site, find pump/heads, compare part number with a 15. I would do it but I don't have the VIN for a late '14.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Take your VIN, got to Ford OEM parts site, find pump/heads, compare part number with a 15. I would do it but I don't have the VIN for a late '14.

This is completely UNreliable, says my early 13 and late 14 use the same part number torque converter which is not at all compatible so how can engine part numbers be reliable? Now I'm definitely not saying my car has any 15 year model parts , just that we can't necessarily tell from checking the ford parts site.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Strange things do happen, but within reasonable limits. For example my 2013 5.0 did not have piston cooling jets, even though by VIN parts record it supposedly left the factory with them.

agree.. i referenced this earlier in the thread.

This is completely UNreliable, says my early 13 and late 14 use the same part number torque converter which is not at all compatible so how can engine part numbers be reliable? Now I'm definitely not saying my car has any 15 year model parts , just that we can't necessarily tell from checking the ford parts site.

+1... those sites dont do much for what we are trying to find out here.

92 Couper

Established Member
15(or the late 14 head that came off my car)
20141114_155724.jpg

Referring to FATHERFORD's cylinder head picture, here is my thinking. Based on those large flanges on the intake ports, this is definately a different casting than the ones used on the majority of 11-14 coyotes. If we assume that this is the same casting as the 2015 head, then it also safe to assume that it would have the larger (BOSS 302 sized) valves of the 2015 (Can't see them having an interim casting that would have 15 like flanges but small valve seat area). And if we assume that these heads have the larger valves, then we would also have to assume that they have the 15 pistons with the larger valve reliefs to support the larger valves. Just a theory, but will be very anxiuos to see some late production 2014 tear down pics to know what is inside..

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Just checked mine: build date on the door sticker says 6/14. 3 bolt water pump pulley if that means anything for real.

Vert

Established Member
False... My friends 2014 GT had a 4 bolt, my 14 has a 3 bolt.
Lol, I see someone in the future getting pissed when they have to change the water pump out. Head to the parts store, put the new pump on, then Damn, the pulley won't bolt up.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Lol, I see someone in the future getting pissed when they have to change the water pump out. Head to the parts store, put the new pump on, then Damn, the pulley won't bolt up.

Yep, Same thing happened mid 01 year model on 4.6's in Mustangs, they went from a long to short snout water pump...

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Just looked at a brand new 14' F150 and it had the 3 bolt water pump. I also found pics of a 15' intake manifold and they do require the extra material on the heads for the intake port to seal just like the pics FATHERFORD posted have. Anyway, that certainly is'nt proof they are one in the same i know. Hey FATHERFORD, how about getting that shop to measure your stock valves when you get the chance?

clinton2003

Established Member
just because the water pump has a different pulley doesnt mean the whole engine is different. I would assume that the water pumps are interchangeable... so you may have a 14 motor with a 15 spec water pump.. they may of just stopped producing the 4 bolt... werent they on back order a year or so ago... soooo food for though.. (not saying that that they dont have 15 heads/internals, just saying that the Water pump is probably interchangeable.)

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Stock valves are gone. I doubt I could find them.

My heads were ported/polished and valves changed out.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Water pump change is menial--FATHERFORDs car having 2015 style heads though.. that's very interesting.

Any update on pics of the rods fatherford? I'm going to pull my intake off one of these days and look at my heads as my car has a build date of 6/14

Users who are viewing this thread