Breathers....

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Drivers side, Once again they will get most of the oil out but not all of it. And they still let all that hot air into the intake. What is the point of a high dollar CAI (Cold Air Intake) if you still have tons of hot air coming in.

Breathers are the better way to go, period.

If you are determined to use an oil catch can, save yourself a bunch of money and do it yourself. http://www.omslaw.net/tech/catchcanmod.htm

cobraracer46

Banned
Some more food for thought for those of you who insist that breathers are a good idea. Take a look at the engine bay of the most powerfull mustang Ford ever build, the boss cobra and see what kind oil ventalation system it uses :)
boss9.gif

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Some more food for thought for those of you who insist that breathers are a good idea. Take a look at the engine bay of the most powerfull mustang Ford ever build, the boss cobra and see what kind oil ventalation system it uses :)
boss9.gif

What am I looking at? It looks to me like it is venting to atmosphere (the tubes from the valve covers appear to go down under the car.

RioRed4v

Established Member
quick question..i'm sure it was covered..but going on 6 pages kinda has me lost.

i havent ordered my breathers yet, but once i do, am i going to get alot of oil on valve covers from the filters leaking out the soaked up oil?

Snake Eyes

Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
Thats an awefully nice picture dude, but Ford is required to use the PCV, federally regulated.
That wasn't a production car, it was a concept car, therefore it is not subject to emission laws.

RioRed4v: No you wont. But come on, just read the thread. If you want information about the subject being discussed then you should read the entire thread.

Rio this isn't on you, just a comment on an overall situation. People need to do searches rather than posting a question that has been answered 1000 times and if you are in a thread and you want information about the subject, read the posts rather than just ask the question right away, it may have already been answered. I am sick of "which shifter is the best" or "what gears are the best" threads. Come on people do a little "leg work" and look for the answer before asking others to give it to you.

I just needed to vent to the atmosphere a little. :cuss: :thumbsup:

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
RioRed4v said:
quick question..i'm sure it was covered..but going on 6 pages kinda has me lost.

i havent ordered my breathers yet, but once i do, am i going to get alot of oil on valve covers from the filters leaking out the soaked up oil?

naa bro. i saw clean it once a month(depending on how much your drive and how hard) use the K&N Cleaner kit should't take that long. and youll be good to go :thumbsup:

ScaryGT

Established Member
I have a friend with a 9 second 1970 Chevelle... he has the best setup yet. I guess all the old school guys do it. The put a hole in the front of the valve covers and run pipe from the front of the valvecover back to the collectors of their headers. The header exhaust sucks the crank pressure out with ease. They put the breather tubes in the front of the valvecovers because when you punch wot all of the oil will be forced to the back of your valvecovers.. this prevent it from easily being sucked out of the breather holes. Our cars have the pcv stuff setup in the middle of the valvecovers so we get more oil wanting to escape from them.

If you look in a Jegs or Summit catalog you will see the crank case evac kit that hooks up to your long tubes. I may just go that route and be done with it.

Look into it I'm sure you'll agree that it is probably better than what most of us have discussed thus far.

Ralph

cobraracer46

Banned
TnPaulMan said:
Thats an awefully nice picture dude, but Ford is required to use the PCV, federally regulated.

Paul
Actually, in that really nice picture, Ford did not use a PCV valve to vent the crankcase. Instead, the hoses you see attached the valve cover oil caps connect to the long tube headers just before the collector to use the venturi vacume caused by the rapidly moving exhaust gasses. Obvoiusly, running this type crankcase vent system on a cat converter equipped vehicle would not be a good idea as any residual oil vapors can ruin the cats,but since the boss was a one off vehicle, Ford did not need to meet any emmision regs. :burnout:

Last edited:

LaserCobra 98

Established Member
Just ordered mine from fox-performance.com

I can't wait.

I'm hoping that the PCV system is causing my puff of white smoke at start up.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
It probably is but you will have to either clean the lower manifold and soak up all the pooled oil (there is lots of it) or wait for it to burn off before the smoke will go away.

LaserCobra 98

Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
It probably is but you will have to either clean the lower manifold and soak up all the pooled oil (there is lots of it) or wait for it to burn off before the smoke will go away.

I'll wait to see what it burns off first. I'll clean it if I get impatient. :D

Sure is embarrassing cranking up around people right now :nonono:

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Alrighty then! I installed my breathers yesterday and my personal impression is quite negative. Oh the smell! Sitting at a red light you can definitely partake in the wonderful aroma - not to mention when I got home and the car is in the garage. Strong enough to make you gag and I am not joking. I'm second thinking this breather filter after this experience and am looking now into the oil separator mod instead. :xpl:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I haave had breather on my last two cobra's, and I could never smell anything. Or maybe I just liked the smell and discounted it. :shrug:

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I haave had breather on my last two cobra's, and I could never smell anything. Or maybe I just liked the smell and discounted it. :shrug:

Are you kidding? No smell? Albeit I just installed them and drove for about an hour, it was really pungent! I even opened my vanilla air freshener all the way inside the car and it would not go away! :lol1:

I'm open to trying this for a few days, but right now I'm not so sure.

LaserCobra 98

Established Member
I can't smell s h i t over the raw fuel spewing out of my exhaust. I literally feel bad for the people behind me in traffic. So I'm not too worried about this news.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
The smell will go away for the most part. The PCV system doesn't do a very good job of venting gasses (it's intended job) especially after you have accumulated a lot of miles because the oil clogs it up. With the breathers on the valve cover will slowly exchange all the old stale air with clean air and the smell will subside. Just be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread