Breathers....

RioRed4v

Established Member
off-topic, but to clean the maf, just get some electrical cleaner and spray it down.

i personally wouldnt ever touch the wires.

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
imma clean the Air Filter & MAF this weekend. and imma try and run the CAI without the gasket Screen. maybe the ECU learned itself with the JLT on for 500+miles or so.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
01BlueCOBRA said:
imma clean the Air Filter & MAF this weekend. and imma try and run the CAI without the gasket Screen. maybe the ECU learned itself with the JLT on for 500+miles or so.

I got rid of the screen when I got the Denscharger and have never had a problem. If you want to resset the ECU just disconnect the battery for 10 - 15 mins or so.

BTW you'll need cut the screen out of the middle of the gasket, otherwise you'll end up w/ a gap right before the MAF ( if ya didn't already know that . . . )

Good luck! :beer:

Firme

Established Member
one thing to note about the CAI, to add onto what emosley01 said, some CAI cause leaner conditions due to bends before the MAF. Now, you can get a MAF that is calibrated to work with one bend, but the reality of it is when you have a bend before the MAF, you have air traveling at different velocity on the inside of the bend, than air on the outside, thus the MAF readout can be throw off.

The GOOD thing about the JLT CAI is that it puts the MAF in the fender right after the filter, before the bend, so that air comes straight into it, and then hits the bend after it is metered.

Just food for thought.

kaos

Established Member
REX-RACER said:
BTW you'll need cut the screen out of the middle of the gasket, otherwise you'll end up w/ a gap right before the MAF ( if ya didn't already know that . . . )

Good luck! :beer:

Nope, I've never used the screen on the JLT or when I just had and open ended filter. Oops.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Firme said:
one thing to note about the CAI, to add onto what emosley01 said, some CAI cause leaner conditions due to bends before the MAF. Now, you can get a MAF that is calibrated to work with one bend, but the reality of it is when you have a bend before the MAF, you have air traveling at different velocity on the inside of the bend, than air on the outside, thus the MAF readout can be throw off.

The GOOD thing about the JLT CAI is that it puts the MAF in the fender right after the filter, before the bend, so that air comes straight into it, and then hits the bend after it is metered.

Just food for thought.

Good call Firme!

I know the Densecharger can have either one or two bends before the MAF depending upon how you set it up and I know some people had driveability issues w/ them.

Sounds like another good reason to go w/ the JLT!

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
Firme said:

Just food for thought.

i agree with you on that one. with a 90 deg bend infront of the MAF will through the readings outta wake. does it matter what direction/place the MAF is postioned on the JLT ?? makes any diff ?? right now i have it as the INSTRUCTIONS says's. wire connections should face the driver-side panel and top of MAF should face the Rear of the car. any try diff postions ??

PSNOUS

Established Member
Thanks for your informative posts Snake-Eyes. This explains a few issues I was having. Do you suggest a breather on each side? Would you suggest that oil seperator that steeda has or does the breathers eliminate the need for one?

Thanks

scotmach

Established Member
Another question regarding this thread, I have a wire that runs off of my pcv. Do I just let that hang there if I want to run a breather?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
scotmach said:
Another question regarding this thread, I have a wire that runs off of my pcv. Do I just let that hang there if I want to run a breather?

Wire??

cobraracer46

Banned
LaserCobra 98 said:
I second that- wire? :shrug:
The wire harness that connects to the PCV valve every one is wondering about is the heater curcuit for the PCV system that was introduced on the 2004 mach 1. this new system allows the computer to control and monitor the PCV system for faults and set service codes when the PCV system has a malfunction. I think its a good idea and mabye Ford introduced it on mustangs first because it might have noticed that certin vehicle owners have foolishly disabled thier PCV systems.

scotmach

Established Member
Well I have a 03 Mach1 so that answers that. If I disconnect the wire my check engine light might come on. Damn Ford. :(

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
The wire harness that connects to the PCV valve every one is wondering about is the heater curcuit for the PCV system that was introduced on the 2004 mach 1. this new system allows the computer to control and monitor the PCV system for faults and set service codes when the PCV system has a malfunction. I think its a good idea and mabye Ford introduced it on mustangs first because it might have noticed that certin vehicle owners have foolishly disabled thier PCV systems.

Right...just like Ford put on downstream O2 sensors because some owners 'foolishly removed their catalytic convertors'. :rolleyes:

My guess is that it's an emissions monitoring device, not so Ford can see if you have or haven't disabled the PCV system. One more sensor to set a damn CEL and have you come into the stealership for service. Also one more damn sensor to go wrong.

I'll bet there is a way to disable it to - you might ask a tuner and see.

Users who are viewing this thread