Breathers....

cobraracer46

Banned
The PCV system uses intake manifold vacume to vent the crankcase from blow by caused by combustion chamber gasses going past the piston rings and recurculates the blow by wich is a pollutant back into the intake to be reburned. eliminating the PCV system and adding breathers is an bad mod that contaminates the engine oil with blow by gases and rusts internal engine parts amoung ather problems because some type of vacume source is needed to properly evacuate and vent the crankcase and obviously breathers don't do that. :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Uh oh, here we go again. About every six months this debate comes up about taking the PCV valve hose out and replacing it w/ a breather. There's some pretty good reasons pro and con but for some reason the debate always gets really nasty over this and ends w/ folks calling each other names.

I'd say if you're wanting to eliminate the all the oil residue that ends up in the intake tract from the PCV valve ( take a look at the inside of your intake manifold if you don't know what I'm talkin' about ) you may want to consider one of these oil seperators from Steeda:
http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/555-3710.htm

There's also instuctions on this sight somewhere on how to make one of these from parts that you can get at Wal-Mart

TnPaulMan

Banned
Bahh **** it. Rip that shit off! I did. No problems. Perfect idle. And best of all, my fuel is not contaminated by oil vapors being fed back into the intake and eventually into the fuel mixture. Oil in fuel lowers the octane of your fuel. Just another prevention of detonation in my book.

Paul

REX-RACER

Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
Bahh **** it. Rip that shit off! I did. No problems. Perfect idle. And best of all, my fuel is not contaminated by oil vapors being fed back into the intake and eventually into the fuel mixture. Oil in fuel lowers the octane of your fuel. Just another prevention of detonation in my book.

Paul

. . . ahem, HERE WE GO!

:pop:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i ran breathers with my old motor. in 8500 miles and close to 2 years, it accumulated zero RUST on the internals.

with a blower id say you really don't have a choice but run breathers. The stock pcv will suck oil and that will reduce the octane of the gas.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
i have mine deleted also and have had no problems, but if you live in a area where they have pollution controls i wouldn't take it off. just for the fact that there is a hefty fine to go along with it if you are caught.

REX-RACER

Established Member
blown01cobra said:
i have mine deleted also and have had no problems, but if you live in a area where they have pollution controls i wouldn't take it off. just for the fact that there is a hefty fine to go along with it if you are caught.

That's a really good point!

chuckstang

Established Member
I am still undecided as to just keep the stock pcv or go with a breather...I put a breather where my oil cap used to go and oil would find its way out of my motor because the filter just could not trap all of the oil as the engine got hot...so I put my old plastic cap on and no problems. I only liked the breather because I thought it looked cool.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
PCV is one of the greatest innovations made for the internal combustion engine. Not only does it burn off harmful crankase vapors, it also creates a slightly negative pressure in your crankcase. This slight crankcase vacuum has actually been proven to add horsepower by promoting a better piston ring seal. Usually enviromental implemented parts hurt power but this is not so with the PCV.

I would not run one in a boosted application because I would be fearfull of detonation, but on an N/A engine I definitely would run them. Besides a little oil buildup on the intake, there is absolutely no side effects. There are more positive things about the PCV system then negatives.

On a non boosted street engine I would absolutely run one.

Paul

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
grandestang said:
I would not run one in a boosted application because I would be fearfull of detonation

Explain please? Are you are talking about a boosted application sucking oil into the intake and thereby lowering the octane of the gas?

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Explain please? Are you are talking about a boosted application sucking oil into the intake and thereby lowering the octane of the gas?

Yes. Although I believe even Lightnings and 03/04 Cobras come with PCVs stock and they are blown, I just would not want any lower octane level than I could get at high boost. I believe alot of Lightning owners actually get the oil seperator thing.

If I didn't run a PCV though I would change the oil more often then I do with the PCV system. If you change the oil often I don't think it would too harmful not running a PCV. I don't see why you wouldn't on an N/A car, taking it the PCV off can only hurt engine power.

Paul

Mach0ne351

Established Member
get the breathes. ive been using them for the longest time, and have had NO issues. if u every see what the PCV system does to the intake manifold, you will want to do this asap. its a "bloody" oil mess.
-marek

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Back in the day I debated this until I was blue in the face. Oh wait, that was just 2 months ago. As long as you change your oil like you should, you will be fine. Todays oils can take the extra abuse. I used a breather setup on both sides of my 98 cobra the whole time I owned it, and I use a breather on the P side of my 04 Cobra now, and a oil separator and PCV valve on the D side. That is a nother option that you should take a look at.:)

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
i was thinking about that. tryin that STEEDA oil-separotor on my D-side.also. it kinda drizzy tonight coming home.parked the car in the garaged. and checkd the Air-Filter(JLT CAI) and it had some wetness on it. does it effect anything or its ok. + when i wash my car it tends to get soaked. am i ok ??

CY98Cobra

Established Member
after taking my intake off and cleaning the quart of oil out, i ditched the pcv on my car. been running that way for a long time and no problems, not burning oil, same gas mileage. no noticeable effects except a clean intake:)

Users who are viewing this thread