Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

C2tuck

Established Member
Wow! Amazing feedback. I love it! Thank you guys.

@C2tuck I do like that idea as it really mimics the muscle car Mustangs like the 70 Boss 302 with the center section of the hood blacked out. Good option to consider.

@98 svt When people see this car up close I don't think they will think this belongs to a kid LMAO!! However, I definitely get the point you're making. As I mentioned above, on other cars I see a black hood as unfinished, but on my car it works, at least in my head LOL.

@FJohnny Thank you for your compliment my friend! I was thinking that if I painted the hood Laser Red that particular area would need something. I was thinking about a 427 graphic, but I already have enough 427 markings on the car. I don't want to get into gaudy territory LOL. Then I was thinking about putting cowl induction or fuel injection in that area, but that's what GM did on their muscle cars and I don't want GM anything on my car. So, your idea is definitely something to consider.

@CobraBob I can always count on you to provided feedback from all perspectives. I understand you are not in the black hood camp either (thank you for letting me know that BTW). But your feedback is the only one that truly relates to what I'm feeling/going for here. I'm trying to build something special and unique. Without the black hood my car is just another red Mustang from a distance. The cars you posted have an overall graphic theme and the entire design works. Mine is not quite to that level, but you seem to understand my thought process the most. Thank you for that my friend!

@BOOGIE MAN Again, thank you for providing feedback and for playing devils advocate on the designs. I hear what you are saying and agree with you premise. My counter is other body panels on my car do have "some" black. My fenders, doors and QTRs have black side stripes. Also, my taillight panel is black. On the old Shelby's the car had dual stripes running down the center of the car. I didn't want to do that because I feel those center stripes do not work well on the coupe body style. Which is another reason I went with the black hood.

You guys all make great suggestions. This is why I love this site. I don't think I have all the answers and I don't feel I know what's the best route to go sometimes. Your feedback means a lot to me. As car guys you guys know what works and what's not quite hitting the mark.

I was thinking about this all last night. Even my wife asked me if I was going to paint the hood red when she was helping me LOL. I think I came up with something that might work.

I do want "some" black on the hood as I feel it will compliment the rest of my build. I seen someone put updated hood pins on their classic Mustang and I liked it.

So, what do you guys think if I paint the hood Laser Red and add hood pins that look like this? I'm going to be painting the hood anyway. now is the time to revamp my design if I'm going to.
View attachment 1737057

Then the hood will be laser Red and this amount if black will give it a different look/feel. This will also get red of the lanyards I have on my old hood pins. Those lanyards ended up rubbing on my paint and fading it, which is why I need to repaint the hood now.

Any thoughts on those hood pins and if you feel that's enough black? Any other ideas guys? Appreciate you guys and your time!

I honestly don’t like those hood pins on older cars. To me those will look out of place with everything else period correctish.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I honestly don’t like those hood pins on older cars. To me those will look out of place with everything else period correctish.

Good point brother. I was looking at them because of the lanyard issues I have. Guess I can always just remove the lanyards LOL.

Besides, those newer style pins do look like they will be a chore to install LOL.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
That is one AWESOME Mustang, paint and design wise, Paul. Can you post a photo of E.A.'s SN95 Cobra?

DSC02921.jpeg
DSC02901.jpeg

ToddW702

Established Member
I like a black hood. It reminds me of the old Group II trans am cars from back in the day. They usually did the top of the fenders as well though. I vote keep it black. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I like a black hood. It reminds me of the old Group II trans am cars from back in the day. They usually did the top of the fenders as well though. I vote keep it black. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Thank you Todd. I wasn't going for the Trans Am look in particular, but I was going for the race car look without trying to use the Shelby center stripes.

I get everyone's point of view on the unfinished look. But, it seems you and @CobraBob are the only ones who understood what I was trying to do by going with a black hood. So, it appears my style is in the minority.

I just got off the phone with my dad and my brother. My dad said do what you want LOL. My brother is with you Todd and said he liked the black hood, but it was my choice LOL.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback. It's nice to get the perspective of others at times.

I'm still leaning towards going back to black, but I'm really liking the idea of a Laser Red hood with black hood pins. Not the ones I posted (I agree with @C2tuck now that I think about it), but painting my old Shelby hood pins black and then making the Shelby lettering silver. That image in my head is very appealing to me.

What I have decided against is a Laser Red hood with the cowl painted black. If I had a hood scoop I would paint that black, but I don't want to mess with trying to make an outline of the cowl. I mean do I take the black all the way to the front edge of the hood? How far back do I go from the front edge of the hood with black? If I go back how do I make the outline of the edge (i.e. solid or with a pin stripe)? Just too many questions concerning the design aspect I don't want to get in to.

So, it's all black or all Laser Red at this point and the hood pins would be my black accents if I go Laser Red.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
HA HA HA... This is GREAT!

Mustang.JPG

BTW, I googled "Red 65 Mustang with black hood" and this image popped up. SWEET! Seems someone had it posted to their Pintrest account.
65 w BLK Hood.JPG

BTW, this is what it would kinda look like with an all red hood.
65 w RED Hood.JPG

65 w RED Hood a.JPG

Last edited:

C2tuck

Established Member

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
A plus one for this idea!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Thank you Geoff. Always appreciate when you comment brother. (y)

However, I had mentioned in post #1426, 2nd to last paragraph that option is off the table. And after looking at the 2 images above I think the black hood option just looks better than an all red Mustang.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
that pic helps a lot, the black hood with clear coat works, the flat/satin black hood would definitely look unfinished.

Good thing is now that you've got this painting thing down it's not a huge ordeal to change it up

As much as I like the new style hood latches I agree the pins work better on that car

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
that pic helps a lot, the black hood with clear coat works, the flat/satin black hood would definitely look unfinished.

Good thing is now that you've got this painting thing down it's not a huge ordeal to change it up

As much as I like the new style hood latches I agree the pins work better on that car

Thank you DSG! Yeah, I was amazed when I found that picture with the cowl hood in all red. To me it really demonstrates what I will have if I go the all red route. I do agree gloss black is the only way to go. Flat or satin black is cool in some applications, but I don't think it fits on my build.

Yes, it sure is nice to be able to paint my own parts. Makes the project go a little faster and it's done the way I want it LOL.

I think I'm going to keep the hood pins I have on there now. Just clean them up and do some detail painting.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'd say rock the gloss black hood. You do your own paint work so if you hate it down the road just paint it then!

I agree 100%. Probably the route I will go. Once the car is complete it wouldn't be to difficult for me to remover the hood and change the design if I wanted to.

Good point mariusvt!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was going to suggest the old Boos style paint with the matte black paint in the middle bordered by the body color. But after seeing that pic I think it would look better with the hood painted red. Doing something to the side of the cowl as mentioned would help break up all the red.

But just remember, we're not the ones that will walk by it every day in the garage.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm digging the gloss back hood too Glenn based on the pictures above.

Hello Brad. Wow, I didn't know you were checking out my build. That's cool and thanks for checking it out.

Thank you for providing your point of view too. It is greatly appreciated my friend! Also, because you didn't suggest to paint it pink this time. ROFLMAO!!!

Users who are viewing this thread