Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
GOOD progress today. Feels good, doesn't it. Hmmm, I hope you take time off from your labors to rest and unwind. Something tells me that working on your Mustang IS how you in part relax.
Thank you Bob. It does feel good when I see progress being made. And it feels even better when I see parts I bought a while ago on the car and looking as I had hoped.

I was really happy when the hood pins aligned since I had to cut the mounting point and reweld it in the correct position. Nice to know I got it right.

I do take time off when I need to. However, when I don't work on the car I feel like I'm losing time that could be used to make progress lol.

And you're right, working on my car is therapeutic for me. Although it is a stress reliever when things go right, it also causes frustration when things don't work out. Such as my paint failures lol. So, it's kind of a catch 22 for me at times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Are you painting the hood LR too?
Hello 98 svt. Great question. I was going to pose that question here and ask if I should paint it LR.

But, after looking at the car and thinking about it I feel the car wouldn't look right, to me, with the hood being LR.

So, the hood is staying black.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
What the hell. Let's get a consensus...

Who thinks I should keep the hood gloss black and who thinks I should paint it Laser Red?

I like it black and feel it's "MY" car with a black hood.

But I'm looking for others honest opinion.

What say you guys???

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Granted, I haven't seen the whole big picture together as one with the black hood, but I personally think it might look a little....unfinished? Maybe that's not the right word.

Whenever I see a car with a different color hood (that isn't carbon fiber) I figure they got a new hood and either couldn't afford to paint it or just haven't had the time to get it painted yet

JMHO

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Granted, I haven't seen the whole big picture together as one with the black hood, but I personally think it might look a little....unfinished? Maybe that's not the right word.

Whenever I see a car with a different color hood (that isn't carbon fiber) I figure they got a new hood and either couldn't afford to paint it or just haven't had the time to get it painted yet

JMHO
I normally agree with you 100% Boogie Man. I also think a car looks unfinished with a non body color hood.

In my case I was going more for a race car look and the look of the muscle car Mustangs with black graphics on the hood.

I feel it looks like "MY" car with the black hood. However, most high end builds have a body color hood or body color hood with graphics.

I don't feel my car looks unfinished with a black hood because I know the look I was going for, but I definitely understand how it looks that way to others.

Keep the feedback coming brothers...

C2tuck

Established Member
Trying to visualize it in black and agree it may come across as unfinished, but I do get why you would want to leave it black.

What about painting it red between the cowl and fender edge and leaving it black in the center?
b5df1bffea6ad99f5d5b4ad978bed27e.jpg

FJohnny

Established Member
Such a great project.

If you like black contrasting areas how about whole hood red and the vertical sides of the raised center section black? (Long, narrow triangle.)

Wiewed from any side angle it would highlight and accentuate the lifted section and tie in with the black ovals on the hood pins.

After laying down the red you could mock up one side in black tape to check the look to see if it works.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wouldn't choose a black hood, either, because in my head it takes away from it being a high quality build restoration build. But that just what I would do. And, your other mods (especially the engine) don't reflect a period restoration. So there's no real reason that YOU would want to switch to a red hood. You like the black hood in a strong way, so it isn't something you did as a quick unthought out decision. So stay with what YOU want, because in the end if you change it to body color you probably won't be truly happy and satisfied with the end product.

IMO the finished Mustang, with the black hood, is going to look really good. And you'll definitely get lots of compliments. DON'T drift away from what YOU want, Glenn.

Check out these bad-ass high quality early Mustang builds with hoods that are not body color.
can-you-spot-the-cougar-eliminator-part-on-this-custom-1965-ford-mustang-161043_1.jpg

ringbrothers-1965-mustang-splitr-is-a-70-liter-track-star.jpg

I love this one!!!
41b16f8efe58368c18b45f640a7d182c.jpg

And lastly, THIS photo of a Mustang hood that I found that explains maybe why the owner did some "unconventional" mods on his fine Mustang build. LOL.
wallpaper4.jpg

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I wouldn't choose a black hood, either, because in my head it takes away from it being a high quality build restoration build. But that just what I would do. And, your other mods (especially the engine) don't reflect a period restoration. So there's no real reason that YOU would want to switch to a red hood. You like the black hood in a strong way, so it isn't something you did as a quick unthought out decision. So stay with what YOU want, because in the end if you change it to body color you probably won't be truly happy and satisfied with the end product.

IMO the finished Mustang, with the black hood, is going to look really good. And you'll definitely get lots of compliments. DON'T drift away from what YOU want, Glenn.

Check out these bad-ass high quality early Mustang builds with hoods that are not body color.
can-you-spot-the-cougar-eliminator-part-on-this-custom-1965-ford-mustang-161043_1.jpg

ringbrothers-1965-mustang-splitr-is-a-70-liter-track-star.jpg

I love this one!!!
41b16f8efe58368c18b45f640a7d182c.jpg

And lastly, THIS photo of a Mustang hood that I found that explains maybe why the owner did some "unconventional" mods on his fine Mustang build. LOL.
wallpaper4.jpg
All 3 cars you shared don't just have a "non body colored" hood, other body panels are also a different color (roofs, top of front quarter panels, etc...).

That is drastically different than a different color hood

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Wow! Amazing feedback. I love it! Thank you guys.

@C2tuck I do like that idea as it really mimics the muscle car Mustangs like the 70 Boss 302 with the center section of the hood blacked out. Good option to consider.

@98 svt When people see this car up close I don't think they will think this belongs to a kid LMAO!! However, I definitely get the point you're making. As I mentioned above, on other cars I see a black hood as unfinished, but on my car it works, at least in my head LOL.

@FJohnny Thank you for your compliment my friend! I was thinking that if I painted the hood Laser Red that particular area would need something. I was thinking about a 427 graphic, but I already have enough 427 markings on the car. I don't want to get into gaudy territory LOL. Then I was thinking about putting cowl induction or fuel injection in that area, but that's what GM did on their muscle cars and I don't want GM anything on my car. So, your idea is definitely something to consider.

@CobraBob I can always count on you to provided feedback from all perspectives. I understand you are not in the black hood camp either (thank you for letting me know that BTW). But your feedback is the only one that truly relates to what I'm feeling/going for here. I'm trying to build something special and unique. Without the black hood my car is just another red Mustang from a distance. The cars you posted have an overall graphic theme and the entire design works. Mine is not quite to that level, but you seem to understand my thought process the most. Thank you for that my friend!

@BOOGIE MAN Again, thank you for providing feedback and for playing devils advocate on the designs. I hear what you are saying and agree with you premise. My counter is other body panels on my car do have "some" black. My fenders, doors and QTRs have black side stripes. Also, my taillight panel is black. On the old Shelby's the car had dual stripes running down the center of the car. I didn't want to do that because I feel those center stripes do not work well on the coupe body style. Which is another reason I went with the black hood.

You guys all make great suggestions. This is why I love this site. I don't think I have all the answers and I don't feel I know what's the best route to go sometimes. Your feedback means a lot to me. As car guys you guys know what works and what's not quite hitting the mark.

I was thinking about this all last night. Even my wife asked me if I was going to paint the hood red when she was helping me LOL. I think I came up with something that might work.

I do want "some" black on the hood as I feel it will compliment the rest of my build. I seen someone put updated hood pins on their classic Mustang and I liked it.

So, what do you guys think if I paint the hood Laser Red and add hood pins that look like this? I'm going to be painting the hood anyway. now is the time to revamp my design if I'm going to.
Hood pins.jpg

Then the hood will be laser Red and this amount if black will give it a different look/feel. This will also get red of the lanyards I have on my old hood pins. Those lanyards ended up rubbing on my paint and fading it, which is why I need to repaint the hood now.

Any thoughts on those hood pins and if you feel that's enough black? Any other ideas guys? Appreciate you guys and your time!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
How about painting the upper roof panel black?
Or perhaps the top of the fenders?

Why do you feel the need for hood pins? I'd axe the pins too.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
How about painting the upper roof panel black?
Or perhaps the top of the fenders?

Why do you feel the need for hood pins? I'd axe the pins too.

I hear you 98SVT, but the roof and fenders have already been painted. And I'm not going to respray them again. I'm tired LOL.

I have to have the hood pins as they are the only way for me to secure the hood. I removed the latching mechanism from the car and filled the holes in the radiator support. So, hood pins are a must now.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I hear you 98SVT, but the roof and fenders have already been painted. And I'm not going to respray them again. I'm tired LOL.

I have to have the hood pins as they are the only way for me to secure the hood. I removed the latching mechanism from the car and filled the holes in the radiator support. So, hood pins are a must now.

Why did you remove the latch etc? To smooth it out? I'd think you would want the exterior to be the smoothest looking area.
Again, just my thoughts.

Sounds like you decision was already made. Black with hood pins. :LOL:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Why did you remove the latch etc? To smooth it out? I'd think you would want the exterior to be the smoothest looking area.
Again, just my thoughts.

Sounds like you decision was already made. Black with hood pins. :LOL:

The hood I have did not come with any provisions to add a latch. Then the mechanism that attaches to the radiator support I removed to smooth it out and because with the Shelby valance you can see the brackets in that area. I did not like that, so I removed it.

I wasn't going to post the question because I thought it looked great black. But since you asked I thought I would get a consensus. So far everyone here and on the vintage site has said to paint it red. Bob is the only one who said paint it red, but black looks good too and posted examples of Mustangs with black hoods.

I understand it is my car and I have to live with it. However, picturing the hood Laser Red with black hood pins does look good in my minds eye.

So, a final decision hasn't been made just yet, but I am partial to the black hood look.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
All 3 cars you shared don't just have a "non body colored" hood, other body panels are also a different color (roofs, top of front quarter panels, etc...).

That is drastically different than a different color hood
You missed my point. I posted those photos to show that subtleties/differences like a black paint hood, white hood with black, black & white hood and top, etc., can work very nicely to portray a design style/look. It's all about what the owner/designer wants to communicate through the exterior design, or even the interior design. It is what "art" is all about. It's what modern restomods/retromods are all about. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread