Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

01yellercobra

Established Member
I bet only you would have caught that curve and only after looking back a few times(after correcting the front fenders) I am glad to see that you have the motivation and talent to fix that can of worms. When you are done it will be at that level of quality that you hoped for. Many people will ask who built that for you and drop the big names. I am loving this build more every update! I have something to chase down on air cleaners that my buddy has on his 67 coupe on a Webber setup, it’s 4 small filters but just chrome smooth tops he bought several years ago in Vancouver (Snow Mexico) will find out if still available and if they fit the borla

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I was wondering why he was getting ready to paint again. Then saw the picture of the stripe. That's one of those things only the owner will notice because he's the one that gets at the right angle to see it while cleaning the car. But it's good Glenn can take care of it himself.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I bet only you would have caught that curve and only after looking back a few times(after correcting the front fenders) I am glad to see that you have the motivation and talent to fix that can of worms. When you are done it will be at that level of quality that you hoped for. Many people will ask who built that for you and drop the big names. I am loving this build more every update! I have something to chase down on air cleaners that my buddy has on his 67 coupe on a Webber setup, it’s 4 small filters but just chrome smooth tops he bought several years ago in Vancouver (Snow Mexico) will find out if still available and if they fit the borla.

Hello geoffmt. Thank you for your very kind post. To be honest everything got by me when I accepted the car. Otherwise I would have made the paint shop fix the QTR panel. That stripe was WAY off. The curve in the door is very difficult to notice, but I see it. I'm OCD like that LMAO!!! When the car was running no one ever pointed out the stripes being off.

I hope people think one of the big shops built this car. I am trying to take some of their ideas and incorporate them into my build. Would be awesome if people actually think it's to that level.

That's cool on the air filters. It sounds similar to the Roush set up. I called Roush and they said the manufacture wasn't making them anymore due to COVID.

It looks like this
427IR.JPG

I was wondering why he was getting ready to paint again. Then saw the picture of the stripe. That's one of those things only the owner will notice because he's the one that gets at the right angle to see it while cleaning the car. But it's good Glenn can take care of it himself.

Hey Bob. Besides the stripes being messed up the door doesn't match the fender. So, I need to match the door to the fender and I'll have to paint the QTR as well since the side stripe goes into the QTR panel. Also, I need to repaint my taillight panel as I pulled the 347 emblem off and it left a mark in the paint that cannot be buffed out.

So, I'm officially announcing that I'm just going to repaint the whole car. My painter friend is real busy and cannot help me right now. I do not know how to blend and while working on the car today I have noticed areas that need attention. So, I might s well just repaint it.

Can of worms official opened. LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Was out in the garage today sanding off the side stripes. Damn was that lot of work LOL. I had to completely remove the stripes otherwise I would get ghost stripes showing back up in the new paint.

Here is where I started. The driver's side was the worst as far as the graphic itself. The upper stripe in the door is crooked.
20211016_081324.jpg

Here is the side stripe on the driver's side QTR. Way off. Not even symmetrical. Cant have that LOL.
20211012_103952.jpg

Since I had to go through the clear, the red paint and the black paint I was pretty aggressive and used 80 grit sand paper.
20211016_093644.jpg

After that I hit the roughed up area with 180 grit sand paper.
20211016_095441.jpg

I then finished everything to include the bottom of the rocker panel and above the upper stripe area with 320 grit.
20211016_103344.jpg

In the upper part of this picture you can see where I sanded the clear and a spot that looks like a pair of eye glasses is visible. That is dirt in the paint that the original paint shop missed during the polishing process. This is another reason I want to repaint the car.
20211016_103408.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Then I got started on the passenger side.

This side was the worst when it came to actual damage. Here is a rust bubble at the front of the door.
20211016_105029.jpg

Here is a dent that looks like something inside the door fell and caused this damage. It pushed out and cracked the paint.
20211016_105036.jpg

I did the same sanding process, but after the 80 grit I had to do do some body work first, before moving on to the other grits. Fixing the rust spot.
20211016_123551.jpg

I had to use a body hammer to push the dent back in and then used some filler to level it out.
20211016_123556.jpg

Going to use 80 grit to shape the body filler
20211016_123606.jpg

Here it is after the 80, 180 and 320 grits.
20211016_131523.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Man, I hereby present to you the Lifetime Perseverance Award! You really strive for perfection in a good way. When you completely finish the project, open a 6-pack of your best beer, set a nice comfortable chair by the car, and just smile and drink!

Belching Beaver Deftones Phantom Bride

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After all the sanding and body work was completed it was time to primer. I had to put etching primer on places where I went down to the metal. Then it was time to spray the filler primer.

Okay got everything masked up. Put plastic to the ground so I won't get overspray under the car. Also, on areas where the primer meets the tape I folded the tape over on itself to form a lip in order to make a soft edge and not a hardline between the primer and original paint.
20211016_144619.jpg

20211016_144639.jpg

Here is the etching primer applied. Once it dries I have to go over it lightly with 600 grit to prepare it for the filler primer.
20211016_150352.jpg

20211016_150403.jpg

20211016_150429.jpg

Filler primer applied. You can see I made sure I got the entire underside of the rocker panel. Last time the painter left this area dry/unfinished looking. I actually had to lay on the floor to spray this area LOL.
20211016_160458.jpg

20211016_160524.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After everything was done I unmasked the car and cleaned it up.

I will let the primer dry overnight. Next I will begin working on the taillight panel area. I need to remove the bumper and taillights.

I'm actually VERY happy with the results. And the edges are very soft which will make them easier to sand and prepare for the base coat.

After all this hopefully I can get the stripes laid out correctly LOL. Sure would hate to screw this up. I'm probably going to cheat (or be resourceful depending on your point of view) and use my laser level to make sure they are straight.

20211016_162047.jpg

20211016_162107.jpg

20211016_163419.jpg

20211016_163437.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Here are some areas I have noticed while working on the car that need attention. This is contributing to my decision to repaint the whole car.

Here is my QTR panel extension. You can see the clear is peeling off.
20211016_161921.jpg

Here is a spot on the driver's QTR panel that looks like what was on my front bumper.
20211016_161937.jpg

This is where my 347 emblem was on the taillight panel.
20211016_161955.jpg

Here you can see some bad spots on the corner of my trunk lid and my QTR panel extension.
20211016_162003.jpg

This is my rear bumper. You can see on the edge the paint is not sprayed properly on it. Leaving it looking dry
20211016_162019.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Man, I hereby present to you the Lifetime Perseverance Award! You really strive for perfection in a good way. When you completely finish the project, open a 6-pack of your best beer, set a nice comfortable chair by the car, and just smile and drink!

Hello Bob,

Thank you sir! I don't think I'm a perfectionist, but I do know how I like things. Those side stripes were driving me crazy LOL. Also, since I painted the fenders off the car the doors do not match the fenders. I have to get that paint to match LOL.

I agree that once it's done I will stare at it for a while. I see things on it now that I wonder how I did that LOL.

I'm very happy with how far this build has come. I still have a little ways to go, but I think the paint and the engine tune are my last hurdles.

I don't drink alcohol (nothing wrong with it. I just never acquired a taste for it). However, I'm a sodaholic LOL. So, I'll be sure to have a few soft drinks while I sit back and smile my friend.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well the can of worms got me today LMAO.

I showed you guys this picture of my QTR panel extension and said the clear coat was peeling. Well, it was a totally different case LOL. That is actually body filler and it is cracking.
20211016_161921.jpg

Apparently my brother tried to put body filler on with the extension in place. That is a flex point and if you try to bridge the filler the body will flex and the filler will crack. So, I had to remove all that filler and take it back down to the bare metal. Going to be a long day for me LOL.
20211017_110031.jpg

Here is the side taken down to bare metal. Time to start the repair process. Challenge accepted can of worms LOL.
20211017_110037.jpg

Here is the extension put in place. You can see the gap that needs to be addressed.
20211017_110100.jpg

The top is way off after cleaning out all that filler. No wonder my brother did what he did LOL.
20211017_110116.jpg

This is the driver's side. This is how it's supposed to look.
20211017_111604.jpg

This is my goal on the passenger side.
20211017_111609.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, to make this repair I need to use fiberglass filler as it is stronger than body filler and will fill in the gaps. I will use the body filler to do the final shaping.

Here is the fiberglass applied.
20211017_111355.jpg

It doesn't look pretty, but it works LOL.
20211017_114937.jpg

Okay, the side is looking really good.
20211017_121314.jpg

However, the top is just not cooperating.
20211017_121329.jpg

Time to apply body filler and see if I can get it closer.
20211017_122152.jpg

Okay, side is perfect.
20211017_135253.jpg

However, the top is still way off. Time to get creative.
20211017_135312.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay I decided to put the extension in place and then put body filler on top of it. Then I'll sand the filler down to the extension. I'll remove the extension and finish the body filler off.

Extension in place and filler applied over body and extension.
20211017_140326.jpg

Okay sanded the filler down to the same level as the extension.
20211017_141520.jpg

Now I got it. SWEET!
20211017_141528.jpg

Extension pulled off and glazing putty applied to fill in pin holes and other minor defects.
20211017_143200.jpg

20211017_143205.jpg

Okay, now that all the body work is completed (my repair area), I used the tape to outline my work area. I have to go beyond the repair area to make sure the sanding scratches are completely removed. Otherwise they will show up in my paint.
20211017_144440.jpg

20211017_144451.jpg

Okay, work area completed. I used 40 grit and 80 grit to shape and form the body filler. Then I used 180 grit to sand the repair area and work area. I finished of the whole area with 320 grit.
20211017_150527.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Now it is time to mask off and apply etching primer and filler primer. Almost there. It only took me all day to do this LOL. This is why this is a hobby and I do not work in the industry. I'm too slow LOL.

Okay, area masked off. Again, the area where the tape meets the primer, the tape is folded over on itself to create a lip. This lip will allow for a soft edge and make it easier for me to blend the primer in with the paint when it comes time to sand the car.
20211017_152459.jpg

20211017_152505.jpg

Etching primer applied to areas where there was bare metal. Had to let it dry and then go over it with 600 grit.
20211017_152951.jpg

20211017_152957.jpg

Then I applied 3 coats of filler primer. This area will get sanded with the car. I'll go over the entire car with 400 grit and then 600 grit. Once that's done I'll clean the car with wax and grease remover. Then hit it with a tack rag and then finally spray it. Still have a ways to go before that happens though......
20211017_162458.jpg

I need to let it dry overnight before I can put the extension back on and see the final fitment.
20211017_162505.jpg

I wanted to show you guys this comparison. Don't know if you guys remember me telling you that my passenger fender didn't match my driver's fender when I was painting them.

Well, here we are again. My passenger extension doesn't match my driver's extension. This is a product of blending where the color kind of fades from one panel to another. The transition is very subtle and fools the eye. Unless you do a side by side comparison you will probably never notice the difference. Again this is another reason I'm repainting the car.
20211017_142229.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now it is time to mask off and apply etching primer and filler primer. Almost there. It only took me all day to do this LOL. This is why this is a hobby and I do not work in the industry. I'm too slow LOL.

Okay, area masked off. Again, the area where the tape meets the primer, the tape is folded over on itself to create a lip. This lip will allow for a soft edge and make it easier for me to blend the primer in with the paint when it comes time to sand the car.
View attachment 1724436

View attachment 1724437

Etching primer applied to areas where there was bare metal. Had to let it dry and then go over it with 600 grit.
View attachment 1724438

View attachment 1724439

Then I applied 3 coats of filler primer. This area will get sanded with the car. I'll go over the entire car with 400 grit and then 600 grit. Once that's done I'll clean the car with wax and grease remover. Then hit it with a tack rag and then finally spray it. Still have a ways to go before that happens though......
View attachment 1724440

I need to let it dry overnight before I can put the extension back on and see the final fitment.
View attachment 1724441

I wanted to show you guys this comparison. Don't know if you guys remember me telling you that my passenger fender didn't match my driver's fender when I was painting them.

Well, here we are again. My passenger extension doesn't match my driver's extension. This is a product of blending where the color kind of fades from one panel to another. The transition is very subtle and fools the eye. Unless you do a side by side comparison you will probably never notice the difference. Again this is another reason I'm repainting the car.
View attachment 1724442
All day? Crap, if I did that repair I'd be a good week....probably more. LOL.

I can easily understand why you want to paint the whole car. If you don't, YOU are going to see the paint imperfections every time you go into the garage.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
****ing phenomenal! Love it!

Thank you geoffmt! You are way to kind my friend, but it is greatly appreciated.

All day? Crap, if I did that repair I'd be a good week....probably more. LOL.

I can easily understand why you want to paint the whole car. If you don't, YOU are going to see the paint imperfections every time you go into the garage.

Thank you Bob! You are also too kind my friend. Believe me, I'm not trying to downplay how difficult it is to do this. If it were not for all the practice I got on the engine bay I'm not sure I could tackle this type of work on the body where my work will clearly be seen LOL.

Another reason I'm doing this is I have been watching YouTube videos on this process. There is a guy on there and his channel is called Paint Society. I believe he is a body and paint guy for a dealership. He has all kinds of great tips and tricks on painting a car. The one thing he says makes me feel confident in trying this. At the end of all his videos he always says "And remember, don't over think it, It's just paint."

That saying makes me look at the project a little light heartedly. That doesn't mean I don't take it seriously, but it makes me look at it from a different angle. It kind of takes the stress off me because really, it's just paint and I know how to work with it. Been painting diecast cars for years. The process is the same. The scale of the project is what's changing for me.

I went from diecast to automotive body parts. I think it's time for me to step up to the whole car level LOL.

Thanks again guys. Your comments motivate me and help me want to attempt to do this. (y)

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL. I pretty much separated you from diecast car painting once this thread got going. Now, it's connected again. You've done well with both diecast models and full size cars.

It is amazing how helpful some of those YT videos are for projects like yours. I've been saved multiple times from giving up or getting lost on projects, after viewing related YT videos. Back in the day, it was all about repair and project manuals. Today, it's videos....for just about anything.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It is amazing how helpful some of those YT videos are for projects like yours. I've been saved multiple times from giving up or getting lost on projects, after viewing related YT videos. Back in the day, it was all about repair and project manuals. Today, it's videos....for just about anything.

Man, that's the truth Bob. I have used YT videos to fix my dryer, water heater and blower motor in my homes heater/A/C. Very valuable tool/resource that has saved me a bunch of money on technicians fees.

Users who are viewing this thread