Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Over on the classic site they have a Ride of the Month (ROTM) thread. For the past couple of months no one was really making any submissions. Well, this month some pretty nice cars made their submissions. So, I decided to throw my name in the hat.

I was notified this morning that my car won ROTM for August. SWEET!!!

This is what the winner receives:

Votes for the month's winner will be tallied by the number of "Likes" your post has on the last day of the month. The winner at the end of the month will win a free 1 Year Premium Membership for the forum and a custom flair under their username.

Here is a link if you guys want to check out the thread and see some of the other cars submitted for August.

As mentioned before this car is just too much fun. And yes, I'm loving the reactions to my build. Really cool that so many people appreciate what I created in my garage.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Hello Everyone,

Over on the classic site they have a Ride of the Month (ROTM) thread. For the past couple of months no one was really making any submissions. Well, this month some pretty nice cars made their submissions. So, I decided to throw my name in the hat.

I was notified this morning that my car won ROTM for August. SWEET!!!

This is what the winner receives:

Votes for the month's winner will be tallied by the number of "Likes" your post has on the last day of the month. The winner at the end of the month will win a free 1 Year Premium Membership for the forum and a custom flair under their username.

Here is a link if you guys want to check out the thread and see some of the other cars submitted for August.

As mentioned before this car is just too much fun. And yes, I'm loving the reactions to my build. Really cool that so many people appreciate what I created in my garage.
That’s awesome, congrats!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

I went to my buddies shop and installed the belts. Since my car had the lap belt mounting provisions installed from the factory this install was pretty straight forward.

Got the car pulled into the shop and positioned so I could open everything up.
20220903_125156.jpg

20220903_125240.jpg

Got seats removed.
20220903_125214.jpg

Then it was time to get it in the air so I could find my mounting locations.
20220903_133118.jpg

Here is the factory mounting location on the transmission tunnel. I used a Philips screwdriver and heated up the tip with a torch. I then pushed it through the hole so it would burn through my sound deadening and my carpet revealing the mounting hole inside the car.
20220903_133128.jpg

Then it was just a matter of bolting the belts in. Yes, I had to make a hole in the floor behind the seat. Once the hole was made I used the same technique to punch through the sound deadening and carpet.
20220903_143247.jpg

Here the passenger side is just laid over the seat loosely. But the belts "are" bolted to the car.
20220903_160239.jpg

Once I got home I test fitted the drivers side belt while I was sitting in the seat. I got it to fit well and snug enough that I wouldn't hit anything if I was in an accident and flew forward, but had enough slack to shift gears and move around. Then I pulled the belt tight as if I was displaying the car at a show. I like this look for display purposes. However, the belts do have enough slack to lay them behind the seats if I want a cleaner look.
20220903_182528.jpg

This is just to show how the rear belt looks and how it is mounted.
20220903_182639.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the driver belt in display mode and the passenger belt just placed loosely over the seat.
20220903_182552.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the install, look and function. However, I may tweak this design once I have a little more time and talk to my fabricator to get his input on a harness bar. Although the belt does hold me in place, since my seats do not lock and can just be pushed forward there is some forward movement due to the seat back not locking in position. So, I may still need a harness bar to keep my upper body in place.

However, for now, this will do......

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well, I'm continuing to get the car ready for my trip out to CA next month.

I called my buddy to see if I could go to his shop, but he said he was busy this weekend.

So, I figured, I built the car in the garage, why not make my repairs there? LOL.

So, I put the car up on the jack stands and got after it.

20220910_133708.jpg

20220910_133731.jpg

First thing I did was drain the rear-end. Both the drain plug and fill plug were seeping. The fill plug was worse, but both were leaking.
20220910_133923.jpg

20220910_133912.jpg

So, I used a liquid thread sealant that's gas and oil resistant.
20220910_163300.jpg

20220910_163312.jpg

This is what I used.
20220910_134022.jpg

After that I wrapped my H pipe. My wife was complaining stating the floorboard was too hot. I have a cowl hood and my headers are ceramic coated. So, I figured the heat was radiating off the H pipe. Now I just need to drive it and see if this header wrap material works.
20220910_140646.jpg

20220910_163218.jpg

20220910_163239.jpg

I didn't take any pictures, but I needed to adjust my emergency brake. There is an adjustment window on the back of the plate. However, due to my leaf springs, lowering blocks and Caltrac bars I cannot get to it. So, I had to remove the wheel, caliper and rotor. It's a lot more work, but I feel it's easier to adjust that way. I can turn the adjuster easier and can "feel" how the rotor goes back on to see how much resistance there is.

Only thing left to do now is drive it and see if anything else needs to be fixed or tweaked, but I think I'm good on the mechanical side. Still waiting on my tuner to come back out and tune it under load.

After that I will need to do some touch up painting (i.e. where my clutch MC leaked) and a final detail and she should be ready for the big days in Cali.......

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like the unwrapped pipes so much more, especially on a classic like yours. But, I totally get that you have to do what you have to do.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I like the unwrapped pipes so much more, especially on a classic like yours. But, I totally get that you have to do what you have to do.

I agree with you Bob. I don't love it wrapped, but I don't hate it either. Besides, you really cannot see that H pipe and, besides my wife's complaint, I'm worried about my ECU as it is mounted under the dash on the passenger side. I don't want it to over heat.

The good thing is when you look at the car from the rear you see the shinny unwrapped tailpipes. So, I'm good with it as it is. (y)
20220604_113924_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Sent an email to Shawn (AutotopiaLA) asking if everything is still a go for October 6th. He responded we are all set! Sweet!

So, I'll contact him one last time at the beginning of October to make final arrangements.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with you Bob. I don't love it wrapped, but I don't hate it either. Besides, you really cannot see that H pipe and, besides my wife's complaint, I'm worried about my ECU as it is mounted under the dash on the passenger side. I don't want it to over heat.

The good thing is when you look at the car from the rear you see the shinny unwrapped tailpipes. So, I'm good with it as it is. (y)
View attachment 1761259
I agree that the wrap isn't all that bad. Gotta keep the wife happy; that's #1. I also agree that no one is going to see the wrap unless it's up on a lift or you have mirrors under the chassis. From the rear, she stunning!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
looks oil cooler size but my initial guess was power steering cooler

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner, Your initial guess served you well. It's a cooler for my P/S.

I'm running my Ford pump with my rack and pinion. Every time I'm done driving the car the P/S pump is so hot I can't even touch it. To me, this is not normal. So, I'm not sure if the two components are not compatible or if my lines are so short the fluid doesn't have enough time to cool before being pressurized again.

I have heard of P/S pumps getting so hot they seize up. Since I'm going to be doing some VERY spirited driving for the AutotopiaLA shoot and I'm going to have to drive a good distance from my buddies house to the big Mustang car show in San Diego I want to add the cooler to see if it will help. My only other option is to buy a new style P/S pump with remote reservoir if this cooler doesn't work.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner, Your initial guess served you well. It's a cooler for my P/S.

I'm running my Ford pump with my rack and pinion. Every time I'm done driving the car the P/S pump is so hot I can't even touch it. To me, this is not normal. So, I'm not sure if the two components are not compatible or if my lines are so short the fluid doesn't have enough time to cool before being pressurized again.

I have heard of P/S pumps getting so hot they seize up. Since I'm going to be doing some VERY spirited driving for the AutotopiaLA shoot and I'm going to have to drive a good distance from my buddies house to the big Mustang car show in San Diego I want to add the cooler to see if it will help. My only other option is to buy a new style P/S pump with remote reservoir if this cooler doesn't work.

you could always take an extra length of hose and loop it (if there's an inconspicuous place to hide it) to add some more volume to the system but just the hose runs and cooler itself adding some should help

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
you could always take an extra length of hose and loop it (if there's an inconspicuous place to hide it) to add some more volume to the system but just the hose runs and cooler itself adding some should help
I already have the idea planned out DSG. I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now, but just pulled the trigger today. My pressure line should be fine. I'm re-routing my return line. It will run along the bottom of the frame rail, up to the P/S cooler (which will be located in my front valance area) and then back along the bottom of the frame rail and into the P/S pump housing/reservoir.

This should really help get the fluid cool. And since the AC Cobras run an oil cooler in the front grill area, my set up should mimic that look and look good as well as function at the same time.

I just have to figure out how to remove the Mishimoto "M" logo off the cooler. Hopefully it's not on both sides and I can display the side without it :D.

Thanks for the idea DSG. There really is no place to run a looped hose. My engine compartment is very open, so it would be visible.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

I have received several suggestions on how to "show" people my build. Some have suggested a build book that I could display with the car and provide some mini explanation about the build. Some have suggested a mini display board that provides some pictures and bullet points about the car. Lastly, others have suggested handing out business cards that have the links to my build threads.

Out of all the suggestions, I like the business card idea the best. I don't want people grabbing a book off my radiator cover or reaching in the car to grab it off the passenger seat. I really don't want to drag a display board around. So, I think the business card idea works best for me. Small, light, easy to carry, hand out and people can look at my build when it's convenient for them, not while standing in front of the car at a car show.

I went to a website and created a DRAFT of what I thought was cool. The idea is to provide my screenname, the 2 websites the build is posted on and the thread titles, my name, the fact the car was a garage build and my YouTube channel. There is no contact information as I am not trying to say I can build a car for someone else. So, this is purely for informational purposes only.

This is what I came up with. What do you guys think of the design/card overall? Is it easy to understand? If I were to hand this to you at a car show would it make sense to you with very little to no explanation? I have not placed my order yet. So, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Business Card.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
card looks good but they're going to have to search for your threads.

I would look at setting up something like Link tree and include a QR code. The QR code would take them to link tree and you link tree page would have a direct link to each thread, your youtube channel and anything else you want to add later. They dont even have to take cards. Hell you could put a plaque/poster on the car with the QR code even

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Agree the YouTube would be easy to find but without a link to your vmf mustang thread or svt it would be hard to find.

Did you media blast the car? Or how did you get rid of any rust spots. I missed that step if you did it.

Users who are viewing this thread