Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice to see you puttin' some miles on it!
Thank you kazman! Yeah, when I was building it some guys told me I was making it to pretty to drive. My intentions have always been that it's going to be a VERY nice street car, not a show car.

Besides, it's too much fun to just let it sit there.

When I got out of the car Sunday night the odometer said 77 miles. So, it is being driven, but I have a lot more driving to do LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Enjoy the ride. Bet it's a beast when you nail it.

Thank you Grabber! Man, that 427 with the 5 speed manual is a hand full. My test hit videos don't do it any justice on how much power that car is making. I asked my wife, during our cruise, if she wanted to feel the power and she said hell no LMAO!!!

The guy that brought his convertible over the other day. I took him for a ride and hammered it. This was his reply in my vintage build thread.

"The pleasure was all mine today, your car is insanely awesome. Went for a quick ride, and let me tell you - that 427 is a beast. The car is so beautiful from bumper to bumper!"

So, I thought that was very cool of him to say.

I think that 427 is amazing, but nice to know others do too. I love that car. It is so much fun to drive.....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Holy crap! Things just keep rolling for me with this car. I love it!!!

As most of you know I'm taking my car out to San Diego in October to attend the Mustangs by the Bay car show.

Also, some of you seen that video I posted of the crash of the blown red 64 Comet. That video was posted by a guy named Shawn and he has a YouTube channel called AutotopiaLA.

Shawn features a lot of cool cars on his channel and I have been a fan of his channel for a while now. I like his channel because he will feature cars from professional builders local to him as well as guys like me who build their car in their garage.

Well, I wrote him an email and provided the link to my build compilation video. I also provided some background on me and my car. I explained to him that I will be in San Diego in October and would love to have my car featured on his channel.

Well, I received a reply from him today. This was his response:

"Hi Glenn and thanks for the email. I appreciate you watching what we do and that accident was definitely a brutal one but I trust the actual enthusiasts/hobbyists will take away some hard learned lessons and hopefully it saves some lives or at least injuries.

Your Mustang looks great and I’d love to shoot it for our channel! Not only looks like a great build but I love the story of ownership, military service and ultimately the end product.

Let’s figure out a time/day that works to shoot it in October.

Thanks
Shawn"

SWEET! I think that is so awesome! Can't wait for this to happen. It's going to be so cool having my car filmed and featured on his channel. I don't have a business or anything, but to have my build featured and to show my ideas/skills is going to be amazing!

I've said it before, this hobby/car is so much fun and it is giving me access/exposure to some really cool people!!!!

ToddW702

Established Member
That’s bad ass. I watch his channel sometimes as he has sediment stuff on there. Your car will be one of the finest mustangs he has had on the show. Looking forward to seeing the episode.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That’s bad ass. I watch his channel sometimes as he has sediment stuff on there. Your car will be one of the finest mustangs he has had on the show. Looking forward to seeing the episode.

Thank you Todd! Very kind of you to say sir. He has featured some professionally built Mustangs on his channel. Devious and Vicious for example. However, for a garage build I think my car will hold its own compared to other Mustangs he has featured.

I'm just stoked he is willing to do an episode on my car. Definitely another feather in my cap for this build.

Thank God for social media, YouTube and other modern technologies that have allowed me to get in contact with these car guys.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, the longer you drive your new build the more bugs you find LOL.

In my case it happens to be several things.

The fist is my P/S pump is leaking. The reservoir (can) itself is leaking. I guess I did not get the outside O ring to sit properly. I tried to put a band aid on the situation and tried to put some RTV, but it did not work.
20220729_150840.jpg

I have been compiling my problem sets. So, I already have a new seal kit for my P/S pump. I'll remove the reservoir and install the new O ring. I've been watching P/S pump rebuild videos. So, I think I know the trick this time.
20220729_151427.jpg

This is the bad one. Apparently my clutch MC is leaking out the back. I'm not sure if I have my pedal set up wrong and I'm over stroking the piston in the MC or if there is just too much pressure required to move the throw-out bearing and it caused the internal seals to fail.

Here you can see that because the system operates on brake fluid and I didn't notice it in time it ate some of the paint on my frame rail.
20220729_151341.jpg

I'm not worried about this too much. It's in an area where you really don't get a clear visual perspective. So, I'm going to hit it with some touch up paint. If it doesn't come out right I'm going to make a plate. I'll paint the plate and then install it with some Velcro or something. That way if it happens again I can remove the plate, strip it, repaint it and reinstall it.
20220729_151223.jpg

I already purchased a new MC kit. Going to try and install it this weekend and verify my pedal stroke. According to the instructions this MC only has 1.12 inch of stroke. So, I will need to insure that when my pedal hits the floor the piston in this MC has not traveled more than 1.12 inches. If it does I'll have to make/install a stop.
20220729_151450.jpg

If the Wilwood set up fails after this I'm going to completely redo this set up. I already found a pedal system with the MC built into the pedal and all the engineering has been done for me. I'll just have to reroute my lines for the new system.

MalWood USA 1964-1966 Mustang Hydraulic Master Cylinder Clutch Pedal Kit (Billet Reservoir) - MalWood USA
20220729_151511.jpg

Lastly, the night I took my wife for a ride she wore slippers and shorts. She said during the ride the floorboard got very hot and was uncomfortable for her.

When I'm driving the car I feel the heat she is talking about as well. I always have shoes and jeans on, so it's not unbearable for me. However, I think it needs to be addressed. So, I purchased some DEI exhaust wrap. I'm going to wrap the H pipe which is below the front floorboard and go past the front seats.
20220729_151646.jpg

So, even though the car is running, some things still need to be addressed. As I address them I'll be sure to post up so you guys can see my progress.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a shame the leak messed up the paint, but like you said, it isn't that noticeable from above so touch-up paint should work. I like you idea of using a plate (even with the touch-up paint applied) to contain a future leak. I would think once you solve the MC issue you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That's a shame the leak messed up the paint, but like you said, it isn't that noticeable from above so touch-up paint should work. I like you idea of using a plate (even with the touch-up paint applied) to contain a future leak. I would think once you solve the MC issue you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.
Thank you Bob! I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but realized it was a possibility. I thought I needed something that can cover the area, but also be removable in case this happens again.

So, I thought a metal plate would work. I still need to make it. So, we will see if it looks good or not. I mean it sounds good in theory LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Got back to work on the car today.

First thing I did was replace the clutch MC. Once I removed it from the firewall mount the fluid came pouring out.
20220730_102031.jpg

The fluid had a lot of "Black" in it. At first I thought it might have been the black powder coat from the MC itself. But, when I looked at it closer it seems to be the seals have deteriorated from the Amsoil fluid I was using.
20220730_165601.jpg

Even in the reservoir bowl you can see dark fluid and what appears to be pieces of seal.
20220730_165733.jpg

I got everything cleaned up and got the new MC re-installed. However, since it appears the seals have deteriorated I'm going to use Wilwood's fluid this time around. So, I will place an order and once it arrives I'll bleed the system. I already flushed the system. Used my liquid vacuum to pull all the fluid out.
20220730_165755.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The next thing I did was replace the O ring on my P/S pump. This one was a little more difficult, but I got it done.

The last time I rebuilt this pump I did it on the bench. So, I got the reservoir orientation a little off. If you look at the filler hole it points to the driver's apron. It's supposed to point a little more straight up.
20220730_120948.jpg

Got the pump out.
20220730_122402.jpg

Now I need to remove the reservoir.
20220730_122415.jpg

This thing was really on there. It's just press fit on. I had to use a brass punch to knock the reservoir off the pump itself. I took a closer look at the O ring and found a nick/cut. When I tried to pry the O ring off it snapped at that defect location. I'm assuming that's where the leak was coming from as well.
20220730_130953.jpg

So, I got the new O ring installed and reassembled the pump to the reservoir. Since the pump is on the car this time I was able to realign the fill hole in a more vertical orientation. This also makes it easier to fill. It also places the return line in its proper location as well.
20220730_173316.jpg

I haven't started the car yet, but the P/S fluid has been sitting in the reservoir for a few hours now and no leaks. However, the real test will be once the fluid is pumped through the system and there is some pressure introduced. But, it looks good so far.....

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, this week I made a compilation video showing you 2 years of my life LOL.

Here is the video showing you where I started with the car and the complete build process.

This video is 30 minuets long and, like my other videos, has some metal music to enjoy while watching it.

So, if you like the music crank it up, if you don't hit the mute button LMAO!!!!
Great video man!
Bunch of us cars guys enjoyed it at the cookout!
-J

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Here is an update for those who may be interested in seeing this car in person/meeting up or for those who may want to see the feature on AutotopiaLA.

I finalized my travel plans for San Diego (everything has been paid for and reservations confirmed, so it's a done deal....) and I actually talked to Shawn from AutotopiaLA for initial coordination.

This is my current itinerary:

Oct 5: Drive from my house straight to Los Angeles. I'm going to meet Shawn at his facility and drop my car/trailer off for overnight storage.

Oct 6: Head over to to Shawn's facility to begin the shoot at 11. Once everything is finished I'll load up and head to San Diego. Once I arrive in San Diego I'll meet up with @01yellercobra to drop my car and trailer off at his place.

Oct 7/8: Spend some time with the family and hang out at the beach and do some sight seeing.

Oct 9: Attend the Mustangs by the Bay show sponsored by the San Diego Mustang Club (Been looking forward to attending this show with my completed 65 for years now).

Oct 10: Head back to @01yellercobra place to load up the car and trailer and make my way back home.

Hopefully some of you can make it out. Would really be cool to meet some of you folks who have been along for the ride with me on this build.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
For the longest time I have left my windshield wipers off. I do not plan on driving this car in the rain. However, my wiper arms are in the trunk in case of emergency LOL.

I bought these wiper post covers. What do you guys think? I like them. Better than looking at the wiper posts themselves LOL. Also they kind of match my hood pins.

20220816_172333.jpg

20220816_172313.jpg

20220816_170803.jpg

20220816_170925.jpg

ToddW702

Established Member
Those look good. They match the theme well. That car is a stunner. Great job.

Users who are viewing this thread