Best shifter-currently

Which shifter do you think is best currently

• Total voters

rmgtc01

Established Member
I have had a UPR shifter now, and got it when I first got the car.
I recently went to a car show and felt an MGW shifter. That night I went home and bought it.

Came in yesterday and I must say it is the best shifter I have ever had.
NO MORE VIBRATION transmitted from the tranny, shorter and more solid shifts. Best quality.

Just curious if I am crazy and what other people opinions are.
There haven't been too many current posts about MGW on here. Other than the Super Official thread.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

not too many posts about MGW? sorry man, but you must be smoking something good.

the MGW shifter has been posted weekly at least and everyone has the same feeling about it as you. I love mine and would never get anything else. Not only that but they have the best customer service around.

rmgtc01

Established Member
WUTWINE said:
not too many posts about MGW? sorry man, but you must be smoking something good.

the MGW shifter has been posted weekly at least and everyone has the same feeling about it as you. I love mine and would never get anything else. Not only that but they have the best customer service around.

I did a search for it, maybe I am retarded. :shrug:

03SonicStang

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I'm good with the Tri-Ax & comfort pro handle!

I'm glad to hear someone say they still like their Tri Ax; I'm installing one tonight on the Cobra! It has the MGW handle and I will be installing it with CobraBobs gaskets.

rmgtc01

Established Member
The cobrabob gaskets were good. The one for the base of the shifter came right up with no mess.
I just got tired of transmission noise and the cheaper feel of the shifter. This is about a 50% difference over Tri-Ax IMO. Mainly no noise and the tightness of the shifts with no real play in the shifter while it is in gear.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
had the steeda tri-ax, nice and notchy, clunky, and noisey as hell.
finally switched to a mgw shifter, omg, smooth, short, and wow the noise is gone. mgw is superior, hands down winner.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
My Steeda must be special because everyone else's seems to be notchy etc. but mine isn't! Even a few guys in my MACA club says the same. :shrug: I love mine! The Steeda comfort pro handle makes it 10x better. I replaced my MGW handle with the comfort pro.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
interesting

Does anyone of pictures of their handles?
MGW Red?
Comfort Pro?

I have thought about shopping for a shifter

Subscribing... :read:

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I haven't had any troubles with my Steeda so I'll stick with it for now. When I have an issue, I'll definitely consider what's on the market then. Frankly, anything was better than the stock shifter that somehow never found 3rd gear.

rmgtc01

Established Member
87whitevert said:
Does anyone of pictures of their handles?
MGW Red?
Comfort Pro?

I have thought about shopping for a shifter

Subscribing... :read:

No pics but jsut go to each website to see.

Steeda comfort pro handle is "fixed" meaning it comes one way and bolts up to the shifter. Those two bolts can come loose from time to time and without the rubber dampner between handle and shifter you will get alot of noise/vibration transfer.

The MGW red can be positions in an 360 degree position b/c it clamps around a tubular base. Obviously the 9 o'clock to 5 o'clock positions are not feasible for shifting, but you can adjust it to your personal feel. The shifter is very solid and does not transfer noise or vibration. The shifter then uses 2 allen bolts to clamp tight the shifter to its position. Very smart idea. So you can adjust it anyway from the get go, rather than have to purchase the extra handle and rubber isolator later after you had found out about it.

The key here that is evident in all the posts is that the quality shows and is proven!

Last edited:

nugen

Established Member
I love the feel of my Pro 5.0. I didn't like the drag length handle though, so I replaced the upper shifter handle with something more comfortable. The shifter itself feels solid and every shift is firm and sure. Pro 5.0 for me!

T.O.Snake

Established Member
rmgtc01 said:
I have had a UPR shifter now, and got it when I first got the car.
I recently went to a car show and felt an MGW shifter. That night I went home and bought it.

Came in yesterday and I must say it is the best shifter I have ever had.
NO MORE VIBRATION transmitted from the tranny, shorter and more solid shifts. Best quality.

Just curious if I am crazy and what other people opinions are.
There haven't been too many posts about MGW on here.

Just got mine (blue handle) installed 2 days ago. So f-in' sweet, it's not even funny. Had a pro5.0 on my 01 GT and this just blows it away. No tranny whine under deceleration, shifts seem even shorter and more precise. Plus it falls perfectly under hand thanks to the fully adjustable arm/handle.
As for threads about MGW, there have been a ton around here, and it was all those favourable reviews that helped make up my mind :beer:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
WUTWINE said:

Yeah you're tokin something good!!!! The MGW threads are almost as bad as the CAI threads used to be!! BTW MGW gets my vote....I ditched the 5.0 w/ tri-ax handle that came with the car and am much happier.....

Users who are viewing this thread