Best shifter-currently

Which shifter do you think is best currently

• Total voters

Trmin8r

Established Member
I have a UPR that I bought from a guy on here. I have been very happy with it, but I went from Stock to the UPR, and have not had any different. I had a Steeda in my 98 and 89, and Pro 5.0 in my 93. I had a B&M in my 89 and took it out because I did not like it. So far, I have been most happy with the UPR.

Babino

Established Member
Just installed my MGW with Red Handle today and... WOW!!!! I love it. I feel like I have a new car.

I did have a Pro 5.0 on my GT and had nothing but good to say about it. It was a quality product that enhanced my driving experience.

DanVoels

Mustang Addict
Established Member
Cobra Bob to the rescue!

I installed my Steeda Tri-Ax today to replace my Kirban. 100% improvement IMHO. This is the 2nd Tri-Ax I've had on the T56 trannies. I love it, but the noise used to drive me nuts. This time I installed a set of the gaskets made by CobraBob. Problem solved. They are great! Buy one today. :beer:

tankerman1981

Established Member
Just got my MGW Shifter in last night with the "NEW" orange handle.... waiting for my CobraBob Gaskets to come in today so I can put it in.... can't wait to get this MGW shifter in..with all the good reviews I know it should be great...

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
UPR. At first it sucked(notchy and noisy). Installed the Cobra Bob gaskets and most the noise went away and I guess it "broke-in" because it is much smoother. Seriously at first I was going to pitch it, but its very good now. :thumbsup: And it was very cheap $99 at FFW, no shipping no tax.

tankerman1981

Established Member
Yellow cobra said:
Hey, any body help me where can i get MGW shifter?

you can only get them at www.mgwltd.com just put mine in on friday and I love every min of it... little notchy at the moment but still breaking it in.... but the general feel of it and the distance of the throw is absolutely wonderful best shifter out there on the market and well worth the small price he charges....

also new orange handle is great :pepper: :pepper:

03Cobra-Vert

Established Member
You guys are killing me with this forum!!! :bash:

Ok, I've had my 03 vert for about 6wks or so, and I've already put a Magnaflow CB on it, and as of Fri I ordered:

- MGW "orange" shifter
- CobraBobs gasket set
- RP Synchmax tranny fluid
- LCD freeplay kit.

and now my wife thinks I'm CRAZY for replacing parts on a new car!!! :eek:

Oh well... she just doesn't get the addictive nature of CARS!!! :thumbsup:

AWESOME FORUM!!!!!!

kilroy

Powered by Ford/FRPP/ATS
Established Member
Tri-Ax to MGW convert.

I didn't mind the Tri-Ax at all, but once I swapped in the MGW, all became quiet again ;-) . I use the red handle & shift stroke seems the same as my Tri-Ax in its shortest stroke config.

tankerman1981

Established Member
MGW shifter broken in well now and loving every min of driving this beast... shortest shifts i've ever experienced... one great product especially with the cobrabob gaskets...

InArmyWPride

Venomous Productions
Established Member
03Cobra-Vert said:
You guys are killing me with this forum!!! :bash:

Ok, I've had my 03 vert for about 6wks or so, and I've already put a Magnaflow CB on it, and as of Fri I ordered:

- MGW "orange" shifter
- CobraBobs gasket set
- RP Synchmax tranny fluid
- LCD freeplay kit.

and now my wife thinks I'm CRAZY for replacing parts on a new car!!! :eek:

Oh well... she just doesn't get the addictive nature of CARS!!! :thumbsup:

AWESOME FORUM!!!!!!

OK WHATS THE LDC FREEPLAY KIT???????????????????????? I HAVE NOTHEARD OF THIS ONE! :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

03Cobra-Vert

Established Member
The freeplay kit is basically a shim and spring on the end (trans side) of the clutch cable that removes the pedal freeplay when you've installed an aftermarket quad/firewall adjuster. One other benefit is it actually pulls the forks away from the t-bearing.

I just installed all my mods in this weekend and must say EVERYTHING was a piece of cake to install and awesome quality!!! The MGW shifter is built like a tank, and short, smooth, rock solid shifts. The FIORE firewall adjuster and clutch quad are quality built and work great!! The Cobrabob gaskets made the shifter install easy as could be, and the Royal Purple fluid made my shifts easier and quiet as a mouse.

I would HIGHLY recommend all of these parts to anyone.. and would say it's one of the 1st mods anyone should do!! :beer:

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
I absolutely LOVE the MGW shifter and only have 1 complaint about it...

It might just be me, but has anyone had a problem with shifting from 3 to 2 when you go to shift from 3-4? Don't get me wrong at all, I like how quiet and crisp the MGW shifter is but I literally have to twist my arm 90* downward so when I go to shift from 3-4 my palm is vertical facing the passenger side door. That way I when I make the 3-4 shift I apply pressure towards the passenger side door to keep the shifter from going towards the 2 gate, all while pulling back to bring it into the 4 gate.

Total it has happened 2 times to date, both being at speeds slow enough that it didn't mess anything up or cause me to oversping the engine/tranny. It absolutely scared the shiot outta me and for that I had to change my shifting techniques.

If any of you guys have this problem then please share.

THC

rmgtc01

Established Member
I had that with my UPR (wanted to shift to 4th, but got 2nd), but since this handle is fully pivotal around the axix of the handle, I have not done that anymore. Just play with it till you find the sweet spot.

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
rmgtc01 said:
I had that with my UPR (wanted to shift to 4th, but got 2nd), but since this handle is fully pivotal around the axix of the handle, I have not done that anymore. Just play with it till you find the sweet spot.

What position around the clock do you have your handle at? I had mine at 6:30 and I think that is why I was getting the 3-2 shift instead of the 3-4. I think I was pulling the shifter a little towards myself also when I shifted, and the fact that the handle was kocked towards me didnt help at all.

Thanks in advance,

THC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread