Best Mods to start out on a stock 03 cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
JLT Intake, Whatever Exhaust, FLSFC, MGW Shifter with a Cobra Bob Gasket, Skip the IRS Brace and replace the Diff Cover with a Ford Racing Cover. Lower the car! Save towards the Full Tilt Boogie IRS Bushings. :beer:

Last edited:

8oh4terminator

Novice Termonator *****
Established Member
WOW, thanks for all the advice everyone! I think for now all im going to do is intake and exhaust because I would like to learn the car first and i will take it to the drag strip every now and then but its going to be my DD so im not going to beat it but so much and like jimmysidecarr said, I am a bit weary of modding it too much because I dont want to be replacing parts left and right especially since it has 70K on it. And i have to ask why should I replace the diff. cover?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
WOW, thanks for all the advice everyone! I think for now all im going to do is intake and exhaust because I would like to learn the car first and i will take it to the drag strip every now and then but its going to be my DD so im not going to beat it but so much and like jimmysidecarr said

smart man! :thumbsup:

best of luck with it, and enjoy :beer:

hotcobra03

Established Member
WOW, thanks for all the advice everyone! I think for now all im going to do is intake and exhaust because I would like to learn the car first and i will take it to the drag strip every now and then but its going to be my DD so im not going to beat it but so much and like jimmysidecarr said, I am a bit weary of modding it too much because I dont want to be replacing parts left and right especially since it has 70K on it. And i have to ask why should I replace the diff. cover?

use search function...rear diff...you will see that going wot off line will cause wheel hop,,than cover explodes...o see cost of cover,,you will shit

if you dont know already,,this car stock will smoke 4 gears no problem...i get tire spin at 70mph stock

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Cold air and exhaust.

AND THAT'S IT!

I recommend driving it for a minimum of 2 months before you mod anything else.

FIRST< verify the OE I/C pump is 100% operational and that the cooling fan is not also ready to tank.

Make sure the coolant has been changed at least once, preferably twice.

These are not new cars any more and a lot of these cars are a little long in the tooth.

Save some money to fix stuff that might break or wear out.

Plus by driving it close to stock for a while gives you a better chance to learn the little quirks of the car while it is still relatively sane(safe). You will appreciate the power insanity much more if you drive it (semi)stock awhile longer.

READ THESE LINKS AND FAQs!!! http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-you-post-read-terminator-faqs-hot-links.html

:rockon::beer:

That is what I did back in 07!! Steeda CAI and Steeda Catback. Drove it for a few months, then upgraded to a 2.93 pulley, 4 idlers, tune and MRT H Pipe. Wow, huge difference but also understood the characteristics of the car. I never drove the car hard enough to need a diff brace or cooling mod..:shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Here is your answer!
P1060537.jpg

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum.../820649-broke-cobra-worse-than-i-thought.html

Don't put a solid rear axle in it, do a little preventative measures instead, I have ZERO wheel hop and still retain all the benefits of having a relatively stout IRS in the car. Then again I am no longer a big fan of drag racing.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/773003-blown-diff-cover.html
SWEET-> :rockon::beer:http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/787888-new-ford-racing-irs-diff-cover-girdle.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/713811-did-i-blow-my-rear-end.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/465325-blown-rear-diff.html

SoCaDan

Established Member
Totally agree with what Jimmy says. I bought mine over 9 months ago. It too was bone stock with 14k miles. After a few months I added a cat back and CAI. Cars runs and drives like new. Spend some time with it and get a feel of it before modding too much. I'm still deciding on what to do next although I'm in no hurry to do so.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Very good advice. Jimmy will not lead you astray.

I think most of the mods suggested here are great. I would throw the FTBR kit for the IRS at the top or close to the top of the list. It really should be the first mod made to any cobra. Ask around. You will see what I mean.

Congrats on the new car btw!

Cold air and exhaust.

AND THAT'S IT!

I recommend driving it for a minimum of 2 months before you mod anything else.

FIRST< verify the OE I/C pump is 100% operational and that the cooling fan is not also ready to tank.

Make sure the coolant has been changed at least once, preferably twice.

These are not new cars any more and a lot of these cars are a little long in the tooth.

Save some money to fix stuff that might break or wear out.

Plus by driving it close to stock for a while gives you a better chance to learn the little quirks of the car while it is still relatively sane(safe). You will appreciate the power insanity much more if you drive it (semi)stock awhile longer.

READ THESE LINKS AND FAQs!!! http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-you-post-read-terminator-faqs-hot-links.html

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I totally agree with the diff cover! I had mine pullied and such first. But I was nervous about even beating on the car especially in first gear as I didn't want to blow out the cover. Might as well do the Full Tilt Boogie Racing diff bushings at the same time!

EDIT: Especially if you plan on doing ANY drag racing!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would recommend the same thing that I did when I bought mine in January of 2003.
Step 1 - Intake and exhaust (midpipe and catback)
Step 2- Pulley (I loved my 2.90), 4-piece billet idler set (to help eliminate belt slip and because the factory stamped steel idlers are crap), and a tune.

I'll toss in a Step 1A which would be a set of lowering springs to get rid of the horrid factory 4X4 look.

A lot of good advice posted above. And you're smart by making a decision now that you don't want to put a lot of money into a lot of mods. :thumbsup:

In closing, I recommend you read through my Terminator FAQs. Good reading!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I would recommend the same thing that I did when I bought mine in January of 2003.
Step 1 - Intake and exhaust (midpipe and catback)
Step 2- Pulley (I loved my 2.90), 4-piece billet idler set (to help eliminate belt slip and because the factory stamped steel idlers are crap), and a tune.

I'll toss in a Step 1A which would be a set of lowering springs to get rid of the horrid factory 4X4 look.

A lot of good advice posted above. And you're smart by making a decision now that you don't want to put a lot of money into a lot of mods. :thumbsup:

In closing, I recommend you read through my Terminator FAQs. Good reading!

Don't forget Step 3: CobraBob Shifter Gasket :thumbsup:

Bob, your above description is exactly what I had done on my CO and loved it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL! Thanks Justin. Definitely include a shifter gasket kit.

8oh4terminator

Novice Termonator *****
Established Member
there is sooo much info on this site! I barely know where to begin but all the advice helps out alot everyone but like I said im in no rush to change a whole lot of things so I think Ill take my time and change things here and there but im all about preventative maintence so the rear diff cover is a looking like a must and subframe connectors dont seem to be a bad idea either

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'm new to this too!

I just bought an '03 with 7,000 miles on it! I'd like to have some recommendations on a pulley size too!

Good luck with your search!
he, like you, apparently don't believe in a "search". if you did you would have used the search function and had your questions answered already

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
imo
remove blower and clean intercooler, pvc delete ,egr delete,change plugs,fuel filter,clean maf,sct w/canned tune,$10 MAf adapter,$40 9in k&n filter,offroad x pipe,full tilt boogie racing bushings ,drive it for 2 months and go from there. stock intake tube and mufflers will flow for your needs(at first:dancenana:)
if you don't do the bushings make sure you torque the axle nut every two oil changes

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This thread is 4 years old!!!!!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
imo
remove blower and clean intercooler, pvc delete ,egr delete,change plugs,fuel filter,clean maf,sct w/canned tune,$10 MAf adapter,$40 9in k&n filter,offroad x pipe,full tilt boogie racing bushings ,drive it for 2 months and go from there. stock intake tube and mufflers will flow for your needs(at first:dancenana:)
if you don't do the bushings make sure you torque the axle nut every two oil changes

I check my axle nuts randomly every 9 months or so and there rock solid tight everytime, can't even move em a 32n'd of a turn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread