Before/After E85 Numbers

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
It's magic.....

Seriously, somebody smarter than me would know, but it has really high octane and furthermore cooling properties because you are using so much more fuel.

Exact reason I also posted that second number with no changes in timing, to show that it's not just all in the tune.

E85 also has a more powerful explosion. When it ignites it does so with more force at a much cooler burn rate. Bigger boom=more force pushing the pistons up and down=more powah.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
EDIT x 2: Just re-read that you were in Cali on 91...i bet the computer was pulling timing with that swill...the small amount of extra horsepower that E85 adds combined with the higher octane and no more timing retard probably did the rest. I bet just putting 93 in your car would have seen some kind of gains on your original tune.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I'm in CO....

I know bro, hard to believe... No way in the world did I expect 100 hp from fuel, tuning or not. Now that I do think about, although the commanded timing wasn't changed, I believe the datalog said it was adding a degree of timing over what was commanded. It wasn't pulling any on pump, commanding 17 and seeing 17, but I believe the first pull on e85 was 18......Still that's not a huge factor in the power difference. Even with 4 more degrees of timing, it didn't pick up alot more power relatively speaking....

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
Only thing I can guess on why the car gained so much without any timing/tune changes is the cooling effect. It is injected so close to the cylinder you wouldn't think it would have as big of an effect on charge temps as shooting some meth further upstream, but not sure how else it would gain on the same tune/timing unless it was run a little leaner on e85 than gas.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
E85 also has a more powerful explosion. When it ignites it does so with more force at a much cooler burn rate. Bigger boom=more force pushing the pistons up and down=more powah.

or for a slightly more detailed version

what do the fastest top fuel cars run for fuel?

oxygenated alcohol.

what is e85?

oxygenated alcohol.

as ethanol burns, it actually RELEASES oxygen into the burn. In a cylinder, the explosion burns top-down. As it gets to the bottom of the "explosion" with gasoline, you run out of oxygen and end up with unburnt fuel that provided no energy. Ethanol doesnt do this because as it burns top-down, it releases oxygen which keeps the burn completing to the bottom.

Secondly is cooling effect. EGT's can be 200-400* lower with e85 over gasoline.

Since we're injecting it in the manifold, you get a pre-cooling effect as well which allows you to ignore your typical IAT temperatures. Guys running this in track cars are making 1500 hp on a non-intercooler turbo setup running 200*+ IAT2's.

Lastly, due to all of this and its enhanced octane rating, you can add more timing.

Tiny chance of detonation, push off worrying about IAT's, and oxygenated make e85 the bomb!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Great post 65fastback, thank you!

no problem man

Im a huge e85 aficionado.

My stock heads/cam/eaton Lightning runs 21* of timing through the entire 1/4 mile and never pulls any timing :eek: This is on a stock intercooler system minus a 2 gallon reservoir that I can throw ice in.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Incredible..... not only that but it is a super clean/efficient burn as well. Not that I'm a tree hugger, but better for the environment.

It's a trip, on pump gas, with a 11.2 AFR on the dyno, my car spits out a decent amount of black smoke. On E85, with a 8.0 AFR or whatever it is, there is no sign of smoke!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
It's a trip, on pump gas, with a 11.2 AFR on the dyno, my car spits out a decent amount of black smoke. On E85, with a 8.0 AFR or whatever it is, there is no sign of smoke!
Reminds me of this video.

[youtube_browser]WOAyoCo3xXA[/youtube_browser]

Bud

Established Member
Let's just hope it sticks around and the government doesn't do something stupid like get rid of it......

I believe the tariff/import tax went away with the subsidies so Brazil should be shipping up tons of their ethanol if we are lucky. The Renewable Fuel Standard act also requires more ethanol in our fuel market here whether it is stupid to make it from corn or not.

So good news is even though it is bad to make ethanol from corn, us racers will should still have good access to it for years to come :banana:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I believe the tariff/import tax went away with the subsidies so Brazil should be shipping up tons of their ethanol if we are lucky. The Renewable Fuel Standard act also requires more ethanol in our fuel market here whether it is stupid to make it from corn or not.

So good news is even though it is bad to make ethanol from corn, us racers will should still have good access to it for years to come :banana:

I'll buy that for a dollar!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Henry Ford said:
"The fuel of the future is going to come from fruit like that sumach out by the road, or from apples, weeds, sawdust -- almost anything," he said. "There is fuel in every bit of vegetable matter that can be fermented. There's enough alcohol in one year's yield of an acre of potatoes to drive the machinery necessary to cultivate the fields for a hundred years."

Also, Ford's first vehicle, ran off ethanol. And the model T was designed to run off ethanol or gasoline.

Users who are viewing this thread