Barndominium TN, NC, SC?

DRTYAPE_SRT

Established Member
I’ve been in AZ for a little over a decade now and after the influx of Californians and a record breaking summer I’m ready to move.

I want to look at properties in the Knoxville Tennessee area and my wife wants to check out the outskirts of Nashville.

I’m also interested in other eastern areas of TN as well and North Carolina and even South Carolina.

Anyone have any suggestions and feedback or live in any of these areas?

Any specific areas I should check out in any of these three states?

I would like some cold weather and changing “seasons”. Looking to purchase 5-20 acres.

I have a picture in my mind of this barndo sitting on top a hill looking over the smoky mountains.
6C68789A-1992-476F-98EF-BB70C51052D6.jpeg

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
East Tennessee is GREAT! PLENTY of areas around Knoxville. That "barndo" would ALSO look beautiful on one of the MANY lakefronts in East Tennessee due to TVA.

Don't overlook Chattanooga area, either. No state income tax, VERY affordable land...and the BEST people on Earth as neighbors.

STAY AWAY from Nashville area, unless you like being surrounded by drunk bachelorettes every weekend. Mid-State Tennessee is < East Tennessee.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Nashville has changed more in the 13 years I have owned a home here than my hometown changed 40 years. I can’t wait to get out of this increasingly crime ridden, Liberal shithole.

I’d look closer to Monteagle if you want to be near I24.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DRTYAPE_SRT

Established Member
East Tennessee is GREAT! PLENTY of areas around Knoxville. That "barndo" would ALSO look beautiful on one of the MANY lakefronts in East Tennessee due to TVA.

Don't overlook Chattanooga area, either. No state income tax, VERY affordable land...and the BEST people on Earth as neighbors.

STAY AWAY from Nashville area, unless you like being surrounded by drunk bachelorettes every weekend. Mid-State Tennessee is < East Tennessee.
I like what I see so far! I need to get out there soon and poke around. How’s the Knoxville area?
Nashville has changed more in the 13 years I have owned a home here than my hometown changed 40 years. I can’t wait to get out of this increasingly crime ridden, Liberal shithole.

I’d look closer to Monteagle if you want to be near I24.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Where do you pan on moving?

Call me Chief

Established Member
Check out Person, Caswell, and Rockingham counties in NC. Just south of the VA border in the middle of the state. Very rural but close enough to Raleigh, Durham, etc.
Seen some very nice barndominiums , also seen what look like old single wides put inside a prefab warehouse building.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I like what I see so far! I need to get out there soon and poke around. How’s the Knoxville area?

Where do you pan on moving?

East and North of Knoxville is nice with the mountains.

South and West Knoxville are country too. I could deal with being closer to Knoxville or Chattanooga than Nashville.

We will eventually be moving to Florida.

@GNBRETT wants to be Jake Paul’s reverse cowgirl.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I'll back up what others are saying - avoid Nashville unless you like liberal areas. Same goes for Knoxville (city, but not Knox County as a whole). Chattanooga is a happening area but I don't think that's what you're looking for. I would look into the Cleveland area which is a few miles outside of Chattanooga. Chattanooga is the land of eternal road construction, which sucks.

I'd suggest avoiding Knoxville as a whole and shooting for areas close to Knoxville. Look into Loudon County (Lenoir City) as well as Blount County (Maryville) as there's plenty of rural, plenty of views, and only 15 minutes from West Knoxville which is the best part of Knoxville. Loudon has lower property taxes and less regulation, and people are way more spaced out. Lots of mountain and lake view properties, just be ready to spend some $ for them.

If you do decide to shoot for Knoxville, I'd go for either West or South Knoxville. North and East Knoxville are lot rougher areas, and there is some gang activity in North Knoxville. The Knox County Mayor is former WWE wrestler Kane, but the mayor of Knoxville is a major liberal, as well as the city council.

Tennessee is a firmly red state, but the urban areas of Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga and Memphis are hard blue.

We were considering a Barndo, but decided to do a traditional stick build for a number of reasons. Be happy to chat about them via messenger if you'd like.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
This entire country is becoming a shithole. It'll double its "shitholeness" in the next 10 years. Not many places to run to anymore.

Agreed. We are going to either WY or MT when I retire in 5 years. Many of the locals we spoke to there said everyone who moves there leaves after the first winter :D

However, being born and raised in northern Iowa, cold and snow doesn't bother me.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
We thought about moving inland. Been Florida, SC beaches, Texas beaches plus Navy beaches my entire life.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Agreed. We are going to either WY or MT when I retire in 5 years. Many of the locals we spoke to there said everyone who moves there leaves after the first winter :D

However, being born and raised in northern Iowa, cold and snow doesn't bother me.
Exactly where I want to go.

To the top of the tallest mountain so I never have to talk to another person as long as I live.

Subscribe to my onlyfans

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
This entire country is becoming a shithole. It'll double its "shitholeness" in the next 10 years. Not many places to run to anymore.

This is my number one fear. The wife and I want out of CO and we want to move somewhere hardcore RED. I am now thinking the options one list will be extremely small in 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IA Shelby

Established Member

Rapid City/Spearfish are nice as well.

Curious where did you grow up in northern IA?

MG0h3

Established Member

My dad and stepmom live in Whitefish.

Been going up there to visit a couple times a year since 2011.

There’s gotta be 12 weed dispensaries with 5 miles now. Smell weed regularly while out and about.

Only thing that will keep the losers out of there is how expensive everything is.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread