background check gone bad

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Apparently there is a guy with my same name, middle
Initial, and dob roaming around Colorado that has multiple warrants out for his arrest in the state of Colorado. The kicker is I'm 6'3, and he is 5'1 or something like that. I was held for about an hour in 2006 until the height issue was brought up at a traffic stop.... Same thing happened with a little fender bender in 2012. I hope you get it sorted out, and get your job

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Whoever did that background just stepped in it - deep. Don't be surprised if they attempt to hide behind a liability clause citing you not providing "all" or "accurate" information; you should know that somebody has used your social security number, blah, blah, etc. Fingerprint checks are the ultimate solution, but not everybody does them as part of the background. Cost issue. Good luck!

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Great, now I'm going to have to steal a new identity.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Thanks for the help everyone here is an update so far today:

I called the background report agency and disputed all records that were incorrect (all criminal history essentially). They apologized for the information provided and promised to immediately look into the situation and resolve it as soon as possible. They also sent an email to HR at the company I applied for to let them know I was disputing information on my background check and to keep my application open.

After finishing with them I called the manager of the company and informed him of the situation. He told me he was trying to hire me when HR told him I was a no go. He said the position is still open and he would like to have me fill the spot as long as I can get the criminal charges cleared and proven it was in fact not me.

So far so good as long as the company does the right thing and clears this report asap. If not I will be pursing an attorney and possibly a lawsuit. I don't want to take that course of action but this is a job I've been trying to get for some time and I expect them to pay the consequence of reporting inaccurate information.

Again thank you all for the help and suggestions you have provided. I'll update more as this progresses.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but now it's starting to make sense why a sportbike was gonna cost you $6K a year. Lol

You seem to be a high-risk liability. :lol:

Troponin

Established Member
Something similar happened to my father. The creditors started blowing up his [phone, he started getting denied for loans etc. His boss pulls him in to the office one day and stated there were people from the IRS calling etc. Turns out, another person with his same name was apparently the cause of all of this, and they neglected to check the social security numbers. Good luck. My father was able to clear it up, but not before it caused a big headache.

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
Update #2:

After reviewing my credit report, 2 of the agencies reported accurate results. The other had merged myself and someone else with the same name. My accounts are in perfect standing whereas his has 17 different companies he owes money to. I disputed everything and have gotten my "corrected" report back. They did in fact remove him and his addresses from my report. However they only deleted 2 accounts he owes debt to, and are now claiming the other 15 are verified as my accounts. This is a nightmare -_-

Edit** keep in mind this post is only speaking of my credit report, not my criminal background. Criminal background is going to take a little longer before I hear anything

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, it really sucks that the third reporting company won't/can't find the errors that are killing your credit rating. Unless the other person stole your identity and has your personal information, I can't understand how they can't figure out that those accounts are not yours. Are they saying those accounts have YOUR address?

SHOdown220

Established Member
Wow, it really sucks that the third reporting company won't/can't find the errors that are killing your credit rating. Unless the other person stole your identity and has your personal information, I can't understand how they can't figure out that those accounts are not yours. Are they saying those accounts have YOUR address?

I didn't understand either and first thing on my to-do list today was to contact them again. Thank fully I don't have to, I woke up with an email for a 2nd updated report and all is good now. The other 15 accounts that were not mine have been deleted. Sure is a big relief to see nothing but green blocks for all my accounts!

jenkins_1120

Established Member
good to hear its getting worked out i could only imagine the absolute nightmare that it would be to deal with this. have you talked to the company that wouldnt hire you? would they reconsider?

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Awesome news - Glad it all worked out in the end

Congrats on new job as well right or are you still waiting for an update?

Speedwagon

Established Member
Sounds like its time to lawyer up... Someone is using your SS# and it isn't you.

SHOdown220

Established Member
good to hear its getting worked out i could only imagine the absolute nightmare that it would be to deal with this. have you talked to the company that wouldnt hire you? would they reconsider?

I have spoken with them and they are awaiting my updated results. Should be a green light if they get those back soon

Awesome news - Glad it all worked out in the end

Congrats on new job as well right or are you still waiting for an update?

Still waiting for updated information but thank you I hope everything works out soon

98slowbra

Established Member
I hope it all works out for you bud, I have lifelock ultra plus to keep my stuff to me, it is like $330 a year. They call you if a account is opened even if it is by you, they also send you emails when sex offenders are registered in your zip code. It has worked out well for me.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Sounds like its time to lawyer up... Someone is using your SS# and it isn't you.

You need to contact a lawyer. The right attorney will be familiar with this and take ownership of making the necessary corrections to help get this rectified and hopefully get you the job. It would be money well spent.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
This happened to me back in 2001 when I got into the insurance business. Company ran a background check and called me to advise that I had multiple warrants for my arrest and a long arrest record. The company that did the background check sent me a copy of the report, which showed they had me mixed up with someone else. I ended calling several sheriffs departments to make sure I did not have any warrants and come to find out the criminal profile they pulled was for my twin brother. I ended up getting a letter from the two sheriffs departments advising that the background check was on my brother and not me. they also enclosed my clean report showing I was not a fugitive and I got the job without any problems. I had to jump through a bunch of hoops for 3 or 4 days, but it got cleared up pretty quick. My brother on the other hand ended up getting busted about a year later and sat in the county jail for about 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread