background check gone bad

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'll try to keep this short. About a month ago I interviewed for a job I really wanted, interview went great and I was essentially told pending my drug screen and background check I had the job. So a few days after the interview I fill out all my background check information and set my appt for my drug screen. Drug test passed no problem now I'm just waiting for a call after my background check goes through. After I few days I contact them and they said they are still awaiting results, no problem I'll keep waiting. Week goes by, nothing, 2 weeks and so on up until today.

Today I receive a letter in the mail stating due to my background check I am not being offered the job. Included with my letter is a copy of my background check and whoa was it shocking. Keep in mind I have never been arrested, I even have my carry permit (which required an extensive check). According to this check I am a felon, I've been arrested multiple times in multiple states, spent 9 months in prison, assaulted a few people and broke into a lot of cars.

What the hell? Sure I have a common name but listed on each so called record was MY social security number! I am furious, a job I've been wanting and waiting on finally opens and I get screwed because of this!

Sorry for the long post but I had to rant. First thing in the morning I am calling both my interviewer and the company who ran my background check to see if I can't get this straightened out

Krn737

Proud To Serve
Established Member
Damn SHOdown220, That sucks! I'd be pissed off. I'm in the military and had to go through a really thorough background investigation. They look at every little bit of our background. Go talk to our neighbors, our old friends, more friends, more neighbors, prior employers, etc. They even look at our credit... That would F my clearance up with something like that.

oldmodman

Established Member
You might want to check with all three credit reporting agencies too.

With all that incorrect information stuck in your file it's probably coo-mingled with your credit info too.

An d you might need to contact an attorney to sue under the freedom of information act. There might be false info that could get you arrested as soon as a cop runs your ID.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Man that sucks and you know what's going to be worst part, when you call the company that interviewed you and tell them it's all a mistake they are going to think your lying and blow you off. They will believe the digital records over you.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Here is what you do … Call the company, Thank them for sending you the copy of your background check, and tell them that the stuff on there is NOT you. That you have a CCW and if that stuff were true you would not have that. Then tell them you are going to have to get it cleaned up. IF they listed the company that did the background check call that company and tell them you are consulting an attorney about a lawsuit since they obviously ****ed up. if they didn't list the company tell them you want to know who they used.

then work on getting that shit cleaned up. FIRST thing you do is pull your credit report from all three and go through them with a fine tooth comb. dispute everything that is on there that is not you. I would probably go to the local PD and ask to have your records pulled and work with them to get your shit cleaned up. take your ID, SS card, a bill or two in your name and your birth certificate with you. They can tell you how to best proceed from there.

it is possible you are a victim of identity theft and if you are that is going to suck big time but you can eventually get it cleared up.

I'll try to keep this short. About a month ago I interviewed for a job I really wanted, interview went great and I was essentially told pending my drug screen and background check I had the job. So a few days after the interview I fill out all my background check information and set my appt for my drug screen. Drug test passed no problem now I'm just waiting for a call after my background check goes through. After I few days I contact them and they said they are still awaiting results, no problem I'll keep waiting. Week goes by, nothing, 2 weeks and so on up until today.

Today I receive a letter in the mail stating due to my background check I am not being offered the job. Included with my letter is a copy of my background check and whoa was it shocking. Keep in mind I have never been arrested, I even have my carry permit (which required an extensive check). According to this check I am a felon, I've been arrested multiple times in multiple states, spent 9 months in prison, assaulted a few people and broke into a lot of cars.

What the hell? Sure I have a common name but listed on each so called record was MY social security number! I am furious, a job I've been wanting and waiting on finally opens and I get screwed because of this!

Sorry for the long post but I had to rant. First thing in the morning I am calling both my interviewer and the company who ran my background check to see if I can't get this straightened out

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Dissociative identity disorder is difficult to come to terms with, sorry.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
hopefully its not identity theft and someone using your SS# every time they get arrested. i would think they would change it up though...

probably a mistake in the computer system. that definitely blows. hope it works out for you and in time to still possibly get the job. :nonono:

va boy

Established Member
Yep sucks. Oddly that echos very closely what happened to me after finishing college and applying for my first "real" job. I don't even have a very common name at all either, so it was a shock. I was interviewing at a place that my father had worked at for 30+ years, so the HR department gals knew me, like since I was a kid! They hedged in even telling me what the background check turned up because they thought it was maybe true and felt weird confronting me with what they found, or maybe they were scared? It was some felony charges, burglary, assault charges. Like I said, I knew these folks and it was still a hassle. Good luck with it all, may take some doing, but surely you can prove it's not you. That CCW I would think may be your ace in the hole for getting their attention that it's not you, they aren't just obtained overnight. Again, good luck.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys really helps out and gives me a place to start. Luckily I'm off tomorrow so I will have all day to get some stuff taken care of hopefully. Thanks again

nxhappy

Established Member
Here is what you do … Call the company, Thank them for sending you the copy of your background check, and tell them that the stuff on there is NOT you. That you have a CCW and if that stuff were true you would not have that. Then tell them you are going to have to get it cleaned up. IF they listed the company that did the background check call that company and tell them you are consulting an attorney about a lawsuit since they obviously ****ed up. if they didn't list the company tell them you want to know who they used.

then work on getting that shit cleaned up. FIRST thing you do is pull your credit report from all three and go through them with a fine tooth comb. dispute everything that is on there that is not you. I would probably go to the local PD and ask to have your records pulled and work with them to get your shit cleaned up. take your ID, SS card, a bill or two in your name and your birth certificate with you. They can tell you how to best proceed from there.

it is possible you are a victim of identity theft and if you are that is going to suck big time but you can eventually get it cleared up.
this X 1000000000

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

This and also check with your local DOT where they issue your license. A friend who they registered as a sex offender had to go here to straighten his back round check as well. Friend was never a sex offender lol.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
RDJ's recommendations are spot on! Do everything he said and hopefully in the end the company might re-consider your employment IF they haven't already hired someone. To lose an excellent job opportunity over an incorrect background check is serious. Let us know how you make out.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Contact your attorney. If you do not get a job that you were essentially guaranteed because of this you may have a cause of action.

Satyr

Established Member
Similar thing happened to me during an apartment application. Ended up pulling a guy's record with the same name but different age, middle initial and state of residence. Thankfully, the check included a picture so the rental people knew it was incorrect. I had to contact the background company privately and have them resolve it. Your situation sounds even worse. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread