I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
thumbs down.gif

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The 3.0L Diesel in the SIlverado is set up the same way. The timing components are sandwiched between the engine and transmission.
The Warranty labor time to change a 3.0L Duramax in a Silverado is 40 hrs.
That translates to 56 hrs customer pay. (Warranty pays 60% of flat rate)
Replacing the high pressure fuel pump is 20hrs Warranty, 28 hrs customer pay, because you have to take the transmission out of the truck to do it.
It is Insane.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I was thinking of getting a grey market Avant and did some research on the timing chains on these. L O L **** no.

This is why I bought a 1985 380 SL over a 83 or older as the older ones only came with a single chain and so they would start to droop then just snap and the valves go and meet pistons and grenade your engine. But most 80-83's have had the dual chain upgrades but you better make sure of it or at least they have had the 100,000 mile chain replacement at least. Got to love German over engineering for a common function.

So what Bicycle company was contracted for that work is what I want to know was it Huffy?

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The 3.0L Diesel in the SIlverado is set up the same way. The timing components are sandwiched between the engine and transmission.
Replacing the high pressure fuel pump is 20hrs Warranty, 28 hrs customer pay, because you have to take the transmission out of the truck to do it.
It is Insane.
Am I understanding correctly that if the customer was paying, financially it comes out to 56 hours but if it is under warranty it comes out to 40 based on what the manufacturer is paying?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
It is Insane.
So $8400 of just labor to swap an engine? That would be near $20k all in assuming the engine itself is around 10k

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Am I understanding correctly that if the customer was paying, financially it comes out to 56 hours but if it is under warranty it comes out to 40 based on what the manufacturer is paying?
Yes. Technicians HATE Warranty work. We get screwed on pay based on a 40% discount because the Manufacturer screwed up.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Imagine going to work on Monday morning at 8 am and starting that job. And for the next 5 days, you work on that job and if you are really good, you might get it done. But if it is your first rodeo with that job, you come back the next Monday to work on it some more, and then finish it on Tuesday the 7th full day of work.
Nobody want that job. NOBODY.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
As long as it is working, that 4.2 is a real sweetheart of a V8. So smooth and very linear torque.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Mmmmm reminds of my warranty work on crown TSP-7000’s. 250k minimum truck with 10 separate and sensitive computer systems.
New customer had a temp tech working on one that still had power. Little wire tap to it’s distribution board and poof there goes 50K in computers plus the 12-16 hours of labor replacing and recalibrating the truck and chasing can comm wires and standard comm wires.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Mmmmm reminds of my warranty work on crown TSP-7000’s. 250k minimum truck with 10 separate and sensitive computer systems.
New customer had a temp tech working on one that still had power. Little wire tap to it’s distribution board and poof there goes 50K in computers plus the 12-16 hours of labor replacing and recalibrating the truck and chasing can comm wires and standard comm wires.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Friend of mine repairs big rigs for the Marines and had something like that happen. A guy was using a Power Probe to check a low voltage circuit and I think he put 12vdc to it. Something happened where the truck got worse and my buddy asked if he disconnected the side of the wire that went to the module. The deer in the headlights look told my friend all he needed to know.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Friend of mine repairs big rigs for the Marines and had something like that happen. A guy was using a Power Probe to check a low voltage circuit and I think he put 12vdc to it. Something happened where the truck got worse and my buddy asked if he disconnected the side of the wire that went to the module. The deer in the headlights look told my friend all he needed to know.

People who aren’t qualified and trained to work on these trucks can be very dangerous. The TSP’s also known as turret trucks are 33k lbs and are tanks when it comes to powered industrial equipment. They are not to be taken lightly as the cab of the truck lifts for certain types of services and if you crack the wrong hydro line they collapse and fast.
Many people underestimate how dangerous industrial lifts are but they will kill you and not there’s no way to stop it.

Guy for my company was new to working on these types equipment stuck his arm through a mast to chain up the fork carriage on a 6k lbs cat lift and it collapsed and snapped his arm in three places.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
So $8400 of just labor to swap an engine? That would be near $20k all in assuming the engine itself is around 10k

$7-10k is about average for engines these days, but depends on if you are buying used or reman. $20k engine replacements is pretty common for any new mid-higher end vehicle now days.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

56hrs is what it's supposed to pay by the book time and 40hrs is the manufacturers screwing the tech basically. The 56 is being generous and the 40 is basically them saying we know you can get it done in this amount of time so you won't be making very much additional time or profit from this since we have to cover it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread