Attention MT-82 victoms!!!

SVT_4_me

Established Member
My 04 GT, my 04 Cobra, my 07 C6, my 09 GT500 and now my 11 GT all had a notchy and sometimes light grind when cold. It takes a few miles for the fluid to get a little loose then it shifts like butter. This is normal for all manual vehicles...... WTF.

i would agree with you, except that my car had absolutely no notchiness or grinding when it was new. even when completely cold. NONE! it shifted flawlessly which was part of the reason i loved the car so much. it has slowly gotten worse and my car only has 1300 miles on it...

SicShelby09

Banned
i would agree with you, except that my car had absolutely no notchiness or grinding when it was new. even when completely cold. NONE! it shifted flawlessly which was part of the reason i loved the car so much. it has slowly gotten worse and my car only has 1300 miles on it...

That is a different issue. Should not be fluid related.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
drove my car for a couple hours this evening and it shifted great... the issues i have are very inconsistent.

wbt

Banned
I switched to 75w90 RP gear oil when I changed my clutch and my trans has been working flawlessly. No issues whatsoever.

The harder I drive it at the strip the better it shifts.

Run from last weekend:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRwi-yaZFw"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 11.63@118[/nomedia]

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
For those wanting to know the XT-M5-QS is a 75w-90 gear oil.

I plan to switch to RP 75w-90 when I replace my clutch. :rockon:

XT-M5-QS is also a full synthetic transmission oil so I'd suggest being careful what you put in there.

Ford has used that fluid in it's front wheel drive cars for years in the MTX-75 and in the SVT Focus MT-285 Getrag.

wbt

Banned
XT-M5-QS is also a full synthetic transmission oil so I'd suggest being careful what you put in there.

Ford has used that fluid in it's front wheel drive cars for years in the MTX-75 and in the SVT Focus MT-285 Getrag.

I understand what you are saying however the TSB advised to use DCT fluid in place of QS.

http://cdn.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/uploads/2011/03/tsb-11-03-18.pdf

The DCT fluid is a 75w-90 gear oil based on my research. Based on my experience using the RP 75w-90 gear oil, my trans shifts better then when new and I run the piss out of my car.

I would not recommend using Synchromax however.

POSFTW

Established Member
I think it is a 10mm allen drain and fill, can't remember. The days of worry are long gone for me, love that synchromesh. Redline MTL might be fun to try out for the summer.

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
yep I didn't have any that go up to that diameter so I stopped by home depot and picked up one of those huge SAE/Metric sets that goes up to I think 10mm.

I have an 8mm allen socket wrench bit but there's not enough room at the fill plug to get it and the wrench up there.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I switched to 75w90 RP gear oil when I changed my clutch and my trans has been working flawlessly. No issues whatsoever.

The harder I drive it at the strip the better it shifts.

You went with an aftermarket clutch though. Has anyone reported any issues after going to an aftermarket clutch?

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
What seems to be the "best" clutch for one of these cars with some simple bolt ons? Looking to do one in the near future, bc the stock one has some issues.

POSFTW

Established Member
Seriously, who noticed shifting improvements with a new clutch and or flywheel, my stang is acting up again, very inconsistent. And which clutch?

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Is royal Purple Syncromax fluid or Max-Gear 75w90 gear oil. I'm changing mine tomorrow and i want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is royal Purple Syncromax fluid or Max-Gear 75w90 gear oil. I'm changing mine tomorrow and i want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Our official recommendation on this right now is Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle). Actually it has been for a while and the positive feed back is quite significant. This thread had been idle for quite a while so I let it be.

Though feed back has also been good on the Max Gear 75W-90 we think that the lighter Synchromax fluid will have the best overall results especially when these cars are driven in winter temps.

Protection and synchro compatibility are not going to be an issue with either one but shift feel on the Max Gear 75W-90 in winter temps might be somewhat less than optimal for some folks.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I agree with Jimmy. The lighter viscosity Synchromax will allow for much better winter/cold shifting. It may allow the transmission to make more rollover noise than a heavier gear oil, but who cares if it shifts better.

Jimmy, Synchromech/max true synthetic lubricants seems to be the "key" to repairing the Getrag grind, of course....this is assuming the fluid is changed in time to prevent further damage to the gear box.

cbaty08

Established Member
funny how ever post u have made is negative. Another screen name Jmatero?

You guys an jmatero.. it's funny.

No, not him, but like him in the sense that Ford is turning me away at every level now. I am at the point where I am going to either file lemon, or leave it at the dealership and raise hell everywhere I possibly can about it.

My posts may be negative about the tranny... as it is broken!! Go figure, right? My point is that I am not here to talk aside facts; I want no BS just like you guys. I am here trying to be one of the honest owners of this transmission and show you all what the FFFF we all have to go through; those of use with tranny problems.

You'd be a little upset, too.

Users who are viewing this thread