At what power level do you break 10's?

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I'm curious what it takes to run solid high 10's with an average driver (someone that goes to the track maybe once or twice per year). Also I'm not counting tubbed out track cars on slicks and 2 speed power glide tranny's.

So for a street car on drag radials, something that is daily drivable, down to air conditioning, comfortable suspension etc., all the seats, full weight etc. I'm at around 700 on E85 and have yet to break 10's, best was 11.35@127 with a 1.9 60 foot I think. Granted a really good driver could probably yank out a 10 in my car, but I'm curious how much more you have to go power wise to "yawn" out 10's.

It seems like the car should have plenty of power to go 10's as is. Like I look at some of these heavier luxury cars like the AMG's and Audi's they are heavier and make a lot less power yet they run high 11's. Is it the transmission's?

gt347mustang

Established Member
I see you're in Colorado. What are your uncorrected dyno numbers?

It's hard to get a 10.xx at Bandimere. I tried for a while to get there on drag radials and finally had to borrow a set of bias ply street et'. On good tires I got a 10 sec run my second time down the track.

Last edited:

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Haven't actually ran it up here in Colorado yet on the track or dyno. When I was in Florida it dyno'ed just shy of 700 to the wheel and that's where I ran consistent 11.3x's at 127. I was making just shy of 20 psi, When I came to colorado with the 3.5 pulley it dropped down to about 13 psi, I installed a 3.0 pulley and it makes 20psi again, from a seat of pants it feels every bit as strong as it did in Florida with even more bottom end hit then before because the blower is turning faster I assume.

Jon82387

Established Member
Honestly it sounds like you should have plenty to get your 10 second run...... i mean sure you could throw more power at it..... but then you will more than likely get an even crappier 60'.

Best and cheapest thing you could do is just get more seat time.... learn a few tricks for the track....get a decent set of drag radials and learn how to launch and you should be good....

Some MT steet ET'S or some M&H radials should get you there easily.

But..... if your not wanting to have to do any of that its going to be tougher than just throwing more power at it.

chipmonk

Established Member
You have plenty of power, get some tires. Remember every tenth on the 60 is two tenths on the big end. If you did a 1.7 60ft it would be a 10.9 pass.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn and I was hoping I had a 10 second car. I have no idea where I'm at hp wise. Wasn't there guy's with ported blowers running low 11's?

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
It all comes down to traction and how well you can drive. A ported eaton car could run in the 10s

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
700 hp is more than enough power to run 10s,your MPH seems a little low for 700 hp. Maybe the air up there?

Last edited:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Yeah power should be there. I have cut 1.7s on a DR before. You need to work on the launch more. Also 127mph seems a little on the lower side for 700rwhp, with 590rwhp i hit between 125-127. What RPM are you shifting at? I am at 590rwhp and barely missed 10s on slicks and skinnies in a near 100 degree day. Biggest issue you probably have is all that power and you cant put it down.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Get a different set of rear wheels/tires to swap on at the track and you're there. I made 722 and started out going 10.90's last spring, with no changes other than practice I got it down to a 10.47 and consistent 10.50's even when hot. That's a bone stock front suspension, sra which doesn't leave as well as irs just stronger/lighter, full interior, a/c, radio, etc and a set of billet specialies 15" front and rear. I drive my car constantly on the street, it has almost 95k miles and is very comfortable to drive anywhere. If you just want 10's to say you have a 10 second car, just get a different set of rear wheels or more practice practice practice on a decent 17" radial.

For what it's worth I had the exact same setup car/chassis/wheels wise when I had a ported eaton that made 501/501 and my best time with that after 2 years of practice was an 11.2. So you have more than enough power.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I'd say 500 at the wheels will get you in the high 10s with a good 60 ft., at least a 1.5. Many people on here have run 10s on ported Eatons. With your power you should run low 10s close to 140mph in good air. For reference my car made 627 and ran 10.7 @ 132. Your 60 is killing you, you need a set of bias ply slicks and you should be cutting 1.5 to 1.6 60s in no time. As others have said if you had a better 60 you would of ran a 10.

How much speed is your car picking up from the 1/8 to the 1/4. If your making 700 I would expect at least 30 mph but it should pick more than that up. Maybe you should do some dataloging because your traps seem really low which could indicate you have other problems.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I ran 10.8's with a little POSI Ported Eaton with 549 rwhp 570 rwtq...full weight car - 132 mph!! Traction is the key, most use bias ply tires with a IRS...

72SBC

Established Member
Went 10.80@128 stock non ported eaton, 2.8 pulley, headers, e85, weight reduction, tires. It can be done with under 500whp if you really go at it.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
I ran 10.8's with a little POSI Ported Eaton with 549 rwhp 570 rwtq...full weight car - 132 mph!! Traction is the key, most use bias ply tires with a IRS...

It's amazing how much harder it is to go faster at these levels. You added 200whp and went .5 faster. I added the same and went .7 faster. What are your goals for the car this next season?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
its all about your 60s, you have more than enough power to be running 10s right now for a full weight terminator. you should be cutting at least 1.5s on an aired down drag radial with that power (driven to and from the track). just keep practicing :thumbsup:

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
It's amazing how much harder it is to go faster at these levels. You added 200whp and went .5 faster. I added the same and went .7 faster. What are your goals for the car this next season?

My car has more in it....I've never had the opportunity to run it in good air with any of my TVS runs!! Should have the SRA ready to rock come spring!!

Also...these cars need to go on a diet :)

stangfreak

Established Member
venomous03cobra ran a 10.8x with a apten ported eaton, stock suspension, full weight cobra. John was a big dude as well. That was on 93 octane, NO E85.

ModMike1572

Established Member
I went 11.0 at 126 in my 602rwhp TVS full weight, IRS cobra. high 80's and humid down here in FL too. First time at the track (1.79 60 ft). Launched at 3k rpm on 17inch Hoosier DR's. Car has way more in it I think, especially if I went to a bias ply slick and actually launched the car hard.

Your mph seems a little low for 700hp. Just get out there and keep practicing.

Users who are viewing this thread