Are Employers Required To Pay You Full Wage For After Hours Meetings?

Black Sex

Established Member
if the meeting is "mandatory", then yes you should be getting paid.
Maybe you ask your boss, but act confused about the situation so he doesn't think that you are demanding to be paid. Even if you dont think you are sounding demanding, he might. Maybe start out by asking "if you be punched in or punched out for the meetings"

DEVIL

Established Member
Make a call to the NLRB- National Labor Relations Board. You can ask them, and if the employer is not following Labor Laws, they can make him compensate for the time that was not paid. From my experience with the UFCW, I can assure you, You are entitled to be paid for your time. As a worker in a meat plant we are required to wear specific items before entering the work area. Safety glasses, hearing protection, waterproof boots, hairnets and beard guards, and a white smock. By law, they have to pay for the time to put these mandatory items on/off. Mandatory safety meetings held before/after work hours, and all attendees are on the clock. Good Luck.

delvin.a

Established Member
not only yes but no employer can demand you come in and not pay you at least 3 hrs

What kinda union do you work for? I know UPS has/had a similar policy.

Also I hope you know this is a union negotiated deal and has nothing to do with the national and state laws. Unless some state has a policy like this that I'm unaware of..

Last edited:

RedDemon91

Established Member
To answer a few questions; No, we do not have a HR. Yes, I'm considered easily replaceable, yes, I know for a fact that my manager would most likely be an ass and would make up an excuse about it if I brought itup to him. It's funny you say taht about being easily replaced Dave, tonight at the meeting he said, "I don't like any of you and you are all easily replaceable, keep this in mind when you're working."

Also, something else I wanted to ask. When we're scheduled to work, we come in in the morning and we sit down. If business is slow, we have to sit off the clock for at least a half hour, and once that half hour is up, we're legally allowed to leave and they can't do anything about it. But we're also not paid for that half hour we have to sit, this also seems pretty shady to me.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Yeah thats some shady B.S. what type of place is this what do you do? Is it a chain/franchise? or is this the only one?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
To answer a few questions; No, we do not have a HR. Yes, I'm considered easily replaceable, yes, I know for a fact that my manager would most likely be an ass and would make up an excuse about it if I brought itup to him. It's funny you say taht about being easily replaced Dave, tonight at the meeting he said, "I don't like any of you and you are all easily replaceable, keep this in mind when you're working."

Also, something else I wanted to ask. When we're scheduled to work, we come in in the morning and we sit down. If business is slow, we have to sit off the clock for at least a half hour, and once that half hour is up, we're legally allowed to leave and they can't do anything about it. But we're also not paid for that half hour we have to sit, this also seems pretty shady to me.

where the **** do you work???

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I think that if what you are saying is 100% true, I would be having a conversation with your states employment commission or whatever agency regulates employee / employer relations where you live.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I'm guessing that he works at a private restaurant.

What he is saying is pretty typical of some private bars/restaurants. However, I have never worked in a bar or restaurant (private or not) as a bartender/server and worried about getting a paycheck. My tips are more than enough to live off of and I wouldn't even worry about clocking in for an hour long meeting.

WVFord

Established Member
Contact the wage and hour department of your state, give them the info about everything going on where you work. It may not be required to give them your name, however, you can ask that your name not be used. They will do an investigation but do to manpower problems it may take a while. If found they violated laws they may be required to pay all back pay to everyone involved.

Last

Established Member

After this post most of the responses are going to be "get a new job"

If the management already has this attitude toward you as being disposable, I would either:

A.) Look for a new job.
or
B.) Organize with your co-workers to all contact the Dept. of Labor, and complain about not being paid for time worked.

delvin.a

Established Member
I'm guessing that he works at a private restaurant.

What he is saying is pretty typical of some private bars/restaurants. However, I have never worked in a bar or restaurant (private or not) as a bartender/server and worried about getting a paycheck. My tips are more than enough to live off of and I wouldn't even worry about clocking in for an hour long meeting.

This^^

Screw it for the time being and look for a better, higher paying gig.

TechSavy

Established Member

Sounds similar to the car washing business to be honest.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
After this post most of the responses are going to be "get a new job"

If the management already has this attitude toward you as being disposable, I would either:

A.) Look for a new job.
or
B.) Organize with your co-workers to all contact the Dept. of Labor, and complain about not being paid for time worked.

This!

This^^

Screw it for the time being and look for a better, higher paying gig.

And this!

I know the economy is tough and in some areas even a job like this is an accomplishment, but your future at this job doesn't look good. You could be let go just like that based on your manager's apparent attitude. I would definitely start looking around for another job. When you find another job you'll be happy with, quit the job you're at now. Until you do, I wouldn't give your employer any excuses to let you go earlier than you want to go. It sucks that some employers will make unfair demands, and even intimidate employees like this employer is apparently doing. It's a tough environment in many places right now, jobs wise, and you just have to keep your eyes and ears open for a better job opportunity. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread