Are Employers Required To Pay You Full Wage For After Hours Meetings?

bumplime

Established Member
A quick google search will give you floridas workplace laws etc. I suggest you browse through them and make your phone calls based on your findings.
In Oregon, I can not require anyone attend any meetings without paying them. There is also specific verbiage regarding calling off duty employees in for Mandatory meetings. I know there are similar employment laws in other states as well.

I recommend you read through the Florida laws, go to the manager and inform them of the errors etc. Ask to be reimbursed. If they decline, notify the bureau of labor, as others have said keep records of every conversation. If they terminate you, potentially you could file suit for wrongful termination. Possibly not, is Florida an at will state? If so you could have no recourse if they terminate you.
Be professional, don't act like your confoused, be direct and matter of fact. You may be surprised. If the manager disregards ou go directly to the GM ad then the owner. Regardless if they act like buddies, a business owner doesn't want anyone costing them unnecessarily.

04spinbra

Established Member
Every time I've been in meeting, my employer has always paid me hourly! I've work for a couple big company(CSX,Publix, and Georgia Pacific)!!

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
If you work at a restaurant, this is not even worth the effort. You're talking about like $5 a month that you're not being paid. Weigh that against what you won't be making when you lose your job for trying to recover that wage. It's a bullshit situation, but the result is going to be a lose-lose for you, IMO. I'd just start hunting for a better job.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I would first look into actual laws governing work in your state by talking to someone knowledgeable at the labor board. If there is any wrongdoing being committed, document in detail and report. I wonder if there is a whistleblower law in place because if you report and then are terminated, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Ahahahahaha no. The assistant manager, manager, GM, and owner are all pretty tight and buddy buddy. It wouldn't do anything going to a higher power.

You have still yet to say what you do for a living. Your wording continues to sound like you work in a restaurant. In any case you said you work for tips. I believe minimum wage in Florida for tipped employees is like $4 an hour. I do not believe they are required to pay you more than $4 an hour for any time you are on the clock. Your total declared tips + hourly wage must equal more than federal or state minimum wage, which ever is higher. As a tipped employee, if you are doing the job correctly, this will not affect your income in anyway. As a tipped employee, the higher sales you have, the more taxes you pay, which means your check is smaller. Give us more info on what you do for a living and you might get more help.

Machdup1

Established Member
Determine if they are breaking the law, if yes, send demand letter to the head of HR demanding back payment, hope they fire you, sue for wrongful termination.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
How much of a stink do you want to make over $9-10?

If you want to make a stink, and he blows you off, report the company to the Department of Labor.

Yup, they will investigate and the OP will get his check for $10 and a pink slip.

Florida is an at will state.

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Funny how I knew he was talking about the restaurant business just by reading the title. I didn't even have to read the post. This happens a lot more than you guys would suspect. A lot of these employers bank on the fact of the demographic they hire not being properly educated or informed about their employee rights. I agree about looking for a new job and get the ball rolling on the labor board side of it.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
since youre in orlando do you work at rachels or the dollhouse? :lol:

anyway, florida labor laws suck and employers there are aholes and it wouldnt surprise that they dont have to pay you.

Users who are viewing this thread