Are Employers Required To Pay You Full Wage For After Hours Meetings?

RedDemon91

Established Member
To begin, my employer holds mandatory monthly meetings and we've never been paid for our time. I've only been with the company for two months so I've only attended two meetings. For both meetings they've said, "okay guys we're gonna make this quick so we can get you out of here!" However, the first meeting was a half hour, and the meeting I just got out of was a little over an hour long, and we weren't compensated or clocked in for either time. I thought I remember hearing that witholding pay at a company meeting, whether mandatory or not, was illegal. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? I'm in the state of Florida if that makes a difference, thanks.

Edit: To make it clear, they have never told us thatt we can't clock in, but nobody has ever clocked in and they have never told us to go clock in.

Last edited:

DefCon3

Established Member
Are you hourly or salary? Typically, salaried worked are not paid overtime (salary exempt) unless they have an agreement to do so. And typically, hourly workers are paid for the hours they are required to work. In this economy, however, put up too much of a stink, and you will join the unemployed.

Is the meeting immediately after work? If so, why did you clock out before the meeting?

RedDemon91

Established Member
Are you hourly or salary? Typically, salaried worked are not paid overtime (salary exempt) unless they have an agreement to do so. And typically, hourly workers are paid for the hours they are required to work. In this economy, however, put up too much of a stink, and you will join the unemployed.

Is the meeting immediately after work? If so, why did you clock out before the meeting?

I'm paid hourly plus tips. The meeting is as soon as the place closes, and I had off today so I come in at the time of the meeting, both times actually.

RedDemon91

Established Member
Should I bring it up to my manager tomorrow? I have a feeling he's going to blow me off about it, and if he does, what should I do?

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I've worked a ass load of overnight shifts and I've always clocked in, even after work mtgs I've clocked in for them.

txyaloo

Established Member
Should I bring it up to my manager tomorrow? I have a feeling he's going to blow me off about it, and if he does, what should I do?

How much of a stink do you want to make over $9-10?

If you want to make a stink, and he blows you off, report the company to the Department of Labor.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member

Just ask nicely and see how that goes. Have you asked the fellow co-workers that have been there for a while?

Kubin-B

Established Member

If you want to make a stink, and he blows you off, report the company to the Department of Labor.

9-10? thats money compensated for time. it's the principal of the fact. I make my company pay me for my time and its not cheap, if it were cheap then that 9 or 10 would probably be worth more to me, but yeah op they need to pay you. i would clock in and just ride it out, they cant tell you anything really and they cant fire you for it either. if they were to that would be a lawsuit, which the company knows this liability.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member

I don't work for free but if you don't have any other prospects lined up then I'd be careful.

CSD

Banned

It's the principal Jeff. He should be getting paid, regardless if the meeting is 1 minute or 1 hour long. Also take into account money for gas coming in on his day off. Not everyone has a well stocked checking account.

txyaloo

Established Member
It's the principal Jeff. He should be getting paid, regardless if the meeting is 1 minute or 1 hour long. Also take into account money for gas coming in on his day off. Not everyone has a well stocked checking account.

I'm not saying don't fight for principles. The problem is, if he raises enough of a stink, his manager could decide to terminate him instead of dealing with the "defiant" attitude. I think a steady job in the current economy is worth more than $20 a month of extra cash.

Whether I brought it up would depend entirely on my relationship with my manager. I most likely would just clock in for the next meeting and see if he says anything. If not, then you're good to go. If so, you can bring up your complaints.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

so you are a waiter, busboy, car wash attendent or some other job where you are easily replaced. Talk to your manager if you want but be very very careful. 30 minutes or an hour out of your day once a month is not worth losing your job over. He is not likely to fire you on the spot but if they let people go, depending on how you approach it your name could be very high on his list.

Users who are viewing this thread