Are Employers Required To Pay You Full Wage For After Hours Meetings?

Black Sex

Established Member
To answer a few questions; No, we do not have a HR. Yes, I'm considered easily replaceable, yes, I know for a fact that my manager would most likely be an ass and would make up an excuse about it if I brought itup to him. It's funny you say taht about being easily replaced Dave, tonight at the meeting he said, "I don't like any of you and you are all easily replaceable, keep this in mind when you're working."
Also, something else I wanted to ask. When we're scheduled to work, we come in in the morning and we sit down. If business is slow, we have to sit off the clock for at least a half hour, and once that half hour is up, we're legally allowed to leave and they can't do anything about it. But we're also not paid for that half hour we have to sit, this also seems pretty shady to me.

Why would you give someone like this your time?? I would've told him to pound sand, walked out and went to find a new job. Like others have stated, Im guessing you work in a restaraunt, they are always hireing and Im sure you could land another job the same day.

svt99rag

Established Member
I ran into this several years ago, contacted the labor commision and got it straightened out. I was in Indiana at the time.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
you should never have to sit in your place of business without having to be paid for that time, half hour or not. who ever said "by law we have to sit for half an hour and then be sent home without pay, is bullshit. you can be pro-rated your half hour of time, IE, if your paid 9$ an hour, you should get 4.50 for your wasted time. personally, I'd be going after a new job. how old are you?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
with that attitude towards employees Id bounce in a heartbeat and make sure to get the whole wage and hour thing rolling on them as a parting gift

RedDemon91

Established Member
I am currently looking for a second job as we speak, the only reason I'm really staying is because I do need the cash. Also I'd rather not say the name of the company, you never know who's lurking. The thing that sucks is that I really do enjoy the job and I lvoe what I do and the people that work there, it's just the whole thing about not getting paid properly really gets under my skin. And I have been thinking about contacting the department of labor, I'm just not sure how many other co-workers would be on board to also call and back up my claims.

svt99rag

Established Member
with that attitude towards employees Id bounce in a heartbeat and make sure to get the whole wage and hour thing rolling on them as a parting gift

I was employed years ago from a company that screwed us out of overtime, didn't pay us anything. In the end a lawsuit was filed and after several years I recieved a check in the mail from the settlement.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
is there more than one manager and its just the one thats doing this or is it the only manager? someone higher up may be interested to know their employee is breaking labor laws, they may or may not be aware (the manager may be on some bonus structure where since they're a piss poor manager and can't meet the goals they have to screw the employees to get their bonus)

RedDemon91

Established Member
is there more than one manager and its just the one thats doing this or is it the only manager? someone higher up may be interested to know their employee is breaking labor laws, they may or may not be aware (the manager may be on some bonus structure where since they're a piss poor manager and can't meet the goals they have to screw the employees to get their bonus)

Ahahahahaha no. The assistant manager, manager, GM, and owner are all pretty tight and buddy buddy. It wouldn't do anything going to a higher power.

ModularFan

Established Member
Ride it out, be lucky you have a job, Don't tell the manager to pound sand because if you put that job on your resume and the next job that comes along reads your resume, and decides to make a few calls, you could be screwed out of the next job, if they decide to call the manager that you told to go pound sand. just an fyi.

Black Sex

Established Member
Ride it out, be lucky you have a job, Don't tell the manager to pound sand because if you put that job on your resume and the next job that comes along reads your resume, and decides to make a few calls, you could be screwed out of the next job, if they decide to call the manager that you told to go pound sand. just an fyi.

I don't know if all the states are the same, but by law around here if you turn in an application and they call your previous employer, by law they can't say why you were let go or quit. They can only talk about your performance.

DefCon3

Established Member

Quietly go looking for a new job. Keep records of all the "off the clock" time. AFTER you get a new job, contact your State's Employment Commission, and ask for an injunction against the old employer, and compensation for all the unpaid time.

ff500

Established Member
Send an anonymous letter to the owner stating you are going to the media about unfair working conditions and not being paid and see what happens.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
1. Be careful who you talk to at work about this. Probably a lot of kiss asses and spys.
2. Gather as much information as you can and document everything in detail.
3. Either look for new job and then contact labor board or go through labor board anonymously.

By you posts I wouldnt even bother talking to your manager.

Last edited:

Misquamarauder

Established Member
I don't know if all the states are the same, but by law around here if you turn in an application and they call your previous employer, by law they can't say why you were let go or quit. They can only talk about your performance.

Generally speaking, and I get quite a few reference calls, the way companies get around this is by asking "would you hire this person back." A no answer is usually a hiring killer.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
You should be getting paid.

You should really look into this because in Cali we have to clock in if we are needed for meetings out of our normal schedule. But as someone above did say there are exceptions to the rules such as for salaries.

txyaloo

Established Member
I am currently looking for a second job as we speak, the only reason I'm really staying is because I do need the cash. Also I'd rather not say the name of the company, you never know who's lurking. The thing that sucks is that I really do enjoy the job and I lvoe what I do and the people that work there, it's just the whole thing about not getting paid properly really gets under my skin. And I have been thinking about contacting the department of labor, I'm just not sure how many other co-workers would be on board to also call and back up my claims.

You don't need a bunch of people to back up your claims. Call and make a complaint, and keep your mouth shut while it's investigated since you need the job.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
clock in next time.....they didn't tell you that you couldn't right? one of those read between the line things

trevkm7

Established Member
If the guys a real dick, and says your easily replaceable,walk out halfway through a rush and see how replaceable you are hahaha. Just don't put this restaurant down on your next application. I've been working at restaurants since I was 16 I'm going on 20 now (saving up for school) and worked my way up from dishwasher to waiter and I have to say the restaurant business is just about as shady as they get. I've been fired for not being able to skip school to come in (this had been taken care of months in advance and I was NOT supposed to be on the schedule) and also forced to come in while I was so sick I was puking in the bathroom during my shift. (would you want me to be your waiter then?) Anyways sorry for the rant but guys this restaurant isn't too out of the ordinary. Remember next time you go out to eat what the people who work there have to put up with.

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
Take notes of everything that happens, when you have meeting and are expected to sit for a half hour without pay. Good notes with dates, time and it wouldnt hurt to also include other members in your notes who are required to do the same thing.

Also any time a comment is made to you about "i dont like any of you and ur easily replaced"

That to me that's somewhat of a hostile work environment if you have to do anything they say for fear of being fired. If you work for a franchise which belongs to a bigger corporation like most chain places you prob fall under the FSLA. Basically in a nutshell yes you should be getting paid for your time.

Also a little piece of advice....and its nothing bad but regardless if you LOVE that job and the economy is bad start looking for a new job, it can be in a related profession or type of place but if they treat you like that and you let them they will deff take advantage man. You only get one life, dont let someone treat ya like $h*t. Obviously your not a loser as you atleast have the desire to work so dont get treated like one.

If they say something about you clocking in for metting's or for the WHOLE time you have to be there well then talk to a lawyers or the Labor office.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread