Anyone go from a Terminator to a Boss?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Yesterday, I drove my KB Boss and KB Terminator within 20 minutes of each other on a coolish morning, low traffic highway.

They are both on E85. The Boss was pullied for 14psi (3.6 LC Mammoth) and the Terminator for 22psi (2.8 LC Mammoth) so they were both in the 700rwhp range.

There is NO comparison. The Boss >Terminator in every scenario.

As for the cobra being more "raw and in your face", add boost to a Boss and see how many people soil the seat. ;-)

Bizness

Someone Stole My title
Established Member
Yesterday, I drove my KB Boss and KB Terminator within 20 minutes of each other on a coolish morning, low traffic highway.

They are both on E85. The Boss was pullied for 14psi (3.6 LC Mammoth) and the Terminator for 22psi (2.8 LC Mammoth) so they were both in the 700rwhp range.

There is NO comparison. The Boss >Terminator in every scenario.

As for the cobra being more "raw and in your face", add boost to a Boss and see how many people soil the seat. ;-)

Adding power won't give that raw feeling. The new cars are too refined.

Bizness

Someone Stole My title
Established Member
It's a Mustang, it's not that refined. :lol1: Double the hp on your GT and then tell me how refined that rear suspension is at 7k in 4th gear.

I can tell you this, In daily driving with traffic I'd rather be in the GT.
In a world where we live at the track I'm sure my opinion would be different but. Reality is

idhitit

Established Member
Apples and Oranges, the 03-04 cobras are barbarians. They use brute force to do anything like a sledgehammer. The boss is a much more refined machine like a scalpel. This car is my favorite of all of the mustangs I have owned and I have owned several over the years. I have had a couple fox body cars, multiple 03-04 cobras, a 10 Shelby and a 09 Shelby etc. This car is much more fun to drive, and it gets decent MPG too (19.5 mpg mixed spirited driving). This car puts the power to the ground and just goes. Revving a small block to 7500 the sound alone is worth it. The quad exhaust I think is kind of hillbilly and doesn’t sound as tuned as it should. This car should have come with an X-pipe instead of an H as well to really make the high rpm sound of this motor sound even more exotic.

The shifter shouldn't have ever made it into this car as it doesn't even belong on a bicycle... After researching the shifter I am going to purchase is a MGW and I am confident that will fix any issues.

TRMNTR

Established Member
Hey guys. I'm the OP and I've been watching this thread from afar. I'm finally back to it and there is lots of great stuff in here.

When I first posted this, I was in the market for a new car. I was hoping to find a deal on a leftover 2012 Boss, but I never found a deal I couldn't pass up. When it came down to it, I just wasn't ready to sell the Cobra.

I ended up getting a '12 V6 with the Performance Package and MCA package as my daily driver. I still have the Cobra and my '89 Notchback.

I love all three of the cars for different reasons, but I still have my eye on the Boss. In a perfect world, I would keep them all and just add to the collection, but I don't have the room, the time or the money for a big car collection. I have to admit I don't love having three Mustangs. I don't have room or time for them. It's kind of distracting and you can't focus on just one of them.

I love the Terminator but at some point, I will have to sell it to move on to the next car on the list. I've decided that the Boss is at the top of that list. (I'm not sure about the fox body. It might be too hard to sell that one.)

Keep the comments coming. I think it's good inspiration for more than just me.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Glad to know everything worked out well for you op .... Im in the market myself for a boss I just can't seem to part ways with my baby however if push comes to shove I'm gonna trade in or sell the cobra and get my boss . I could run that car is Fstock or put springs and shocks front bar watts link and run in ESP and I can open track that car as well ... It's almost like ford made a car for me lol

MNCobra

Established Member
i have money down on a 13 GT500 but a 13 boss LS keeps calling me...i hope i wont regret going with the GT500....

guarnibl

Established Member
Adding power won't give that raw feeling. The new cars are too refined.

This doesn't even make any sense. The BOSS felt just as raw as my '03 -- supercharged or not supercharged. I sense you haven't driven one. The Boss is ALL ABOUT RAW. NO FRILLS. ALL BUSINESS.

You guys saying don't put a blower on the Boss are nuts.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
You guys saying don't put a blower on the Boss are nuts.

I actually think of myself as the sane one. I have already found the Boss has more than enough power in stock trim. Especially for a road course. Shenandoah circuit comes to mind when i say that, but i am sure there are others. Even for street use, the only realistic purpose for having a blown boss is just for numbers.:poke:

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
I actually think of myself as the sane one. I have already found the Boss has more than enough power in stock trim. Especially for a road course. Shenandoah circuit comes to mind when i say that, but i am sure there are others. Even for street use, the only realistic purpose for having a blown boss is just for numbers.:poke:

I agree on this as well..... The spirit of the Boss is a high revving, road sticking, screamer that can go WOT just about anywhere from 1-6 gears.

While the Boss puts down INSANE HP with forced induction, it can go too far and upset the balance of the car meaning the high revving easy to drive power band cannot be used at the same 100%.

Now the Prochargers, Vortech, Paxton, and Turbo kits are more RPM linear and they are more intune to the high revving Boss soul, where the KB, FRP, and Whipple have SO MUCH HP and Torque down low the car can become undrivable in the lower gears (1-4th) which can detract from the "soul"....

YMMV

Mike

stangfreak

Established Member
A 3.6 blower on a 302ci motor with insane compression.... I hope to GOD that it will feel a bit stronger than a 2.8 03 cobra. I know the motor is built but come on.

I went from a 2.3 whipple at 21lbs to a 2.9 whipple at 23lbs. same motor, same everything, except blower size. My car now witht the 2.9 and 2 more lbs of boost would literally destroy my 21lb 2.3 setup. My car is so damn violent, little squeeze of the throttle the car jumps out.

The boss is a better car, I know. Ford put a lot of work into it and the team was great. But like others have said, the older chassis mustangs does make the car FEEL more raw. The mustangs really are refined. I have so many people tell me this and I drove new mustangs with 600-700rwhp and they don't feel like my cobra. There fast yes, but its not raw. It is what it is with the new body styles.

stangfreak

Established Member
I didn't go to a Boss but bought a 13 GT/CS to park beside my 04 Cobra
I agree with what most have said. The 13 is so much more refined.
The Cobra is just raw and in your face. They are 2 different cars for sure
Heres a good example of the size difference.

DSC04491.jpg

Both nice cars. But the terminator just looks takes it

quad

Established Member
A 3.6 blower on a 302ci motor with insane compression.... I hope to GOD that it will feel a bit stronger than a 2.8 03 cobra. I know the motor is built but come on.

I went from a 2.3 whipple at 21lbs to a 2.9 whipple at 23lbs. same motor, same everything, except blower size. My car now witht the 2.9 and 2 more lbs of boost would literally destroy my 21lb 2.3 setup. My car is so damn violent, little squeeze of the throttle the car jumps out.

The boss is a better car, I know. Ford put a lot of work into it and the team was great. But like others have said, the older chassis mustangs does make the car FEEL more raw. The mustangs really are refined. I have so many people tell me this and I drove new mustangs with 600-700rwhp and they don't feel like my cobra. There fast yes, but its not raw. It is what it is with the new body styles.
Well, look how much bigger the newer cars are sitting next to the Terminator. If you sat in the Titanic and went 150 mph I am sure it wouldn't feel that fast either. To me these new Mustangs are a little bulky looking. But I would still take one ;)

Jroc

Established Member
Well, look how much bigger the newer cars are sitting next to the Terminator. If you sat in the Titanic and went 150 mph I am sure it wouldn't feel that fast either. To me these new Mustangs are a little bulky looking. But I would still take one ;)

I can't disagree more unless you have them side by side. The only new Mustang that looks bigger from the front than a Terminator is a GT500. Why this is is because both cars are bulky as hell up front being factory blown cars.

Stock Terminators are ugly. They require work to look good. With the right stance and wheels(and moving the rear wheels out close to the wheel wells) a Terminator has the best looking rearend of any Mustang ever though.

quad

Established Member
I can't disagree more unless you have them side by side. The only new Mustang that looks bigger from the front than a Terminator is a GT500. Why this is is because both cars are bulky as hell up front being factory blown cars.

Stock Terminators are ugly. They require work to look good. With the right stance and wheels(and moving the rear wheels out close to the wheel wells) a Terminator has the best looking rearend of any Mustang ever though.
Well, that's the point. Side by side they look bulky next to a Terminator.

103417d1277911289-2003-terminator-vs-my-5-0-009.jpg

CMIYC

Established Member
^ throw some springs on that 4x4 and it would be less dramatic. Plus that terminator already looks lowered so it's not really a fair compare.

Users who are viewing this thread