Anyone go from a Terminator to a Boss?

FKing1

Established Member
Agree with svt1111 about not putting a blower on the Boss.
As I posted above, my 04 Terminator with 525 HP was a handful and the tire store loved it. Oh ya, the cops too. Was followed all the time.

Jroc

Established Member
I've never been pleased with my cobra tranny. I can't imagine how the Boss could be worse. That's a scary thought.

x2.

I liked the 6th gear, but the old 5 speeds where much funner as the syncro's in the T56 makes the tranny unwilling to downshift like I would like.

I've owned a Terminator. Love it. The car was a blast. wrecked it, and bought a 88 GT to do a TermiFox build with. Drove 09 GT500, and 2012 GT and realized that the old Foxbody/SN95 chassis is a POS especially when compared to the 5.0 car. I would much rather have a new Boss 302 than a Terminator. If you miss the power then throw a blower on it, and have a car that's much more capable of putting it's power to the ground than a old SN95 car.

04nccobra

Established Member
I would have strongly considered it. I didn't really care for the 5.0 so I went with the SS but had the Boss been available back then at the prices that it is down to now I probably would have went with the Boss.

TRMNTR

Established Member
I am in the same position as the original poster. I keep going back and forth on a decision. Unfortunately, I can't bare to get rid of my 03 Cobra. I fully realize the boss is a better built car for obvious reasons, but I just can't replace all the good times Ive had in my 03 (we have history!). I guess the only option is to continue to save for a Boss and have both.

I could only laugh when I read your post. That's the exact reason that I still have my '89 notchback. The Terminator is a much better car all around, but the sentimental value is high on the '89.

On the flip side, I'm tired of having three cars. I don't have the room or the time for them, so I'm going to try to get down to two cars, maybe even just one car.

The Boss is still high on the list. The '13 GT500 is also on the list, but I'll probably have to wait a couple of years to pick up a nice used one. In the meantime, the Boss might be the way to go.

Thanks for the other comments too.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
it's been 9 years since I owned / drove my term. so I have no idea what it drove like. Directly I will be going from a C63 to a Boss 302 I have very high hopes for the Boss and really can't wait to get back in a mustang.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I have a highly modded KB Mammoth 03 Cobra and a KB Mammoth 2012 Boss.
The Cobra sits, the Boss gets driven, a lot! :banana:

TRMNTR

Established Member
OK guys. I am still considering the Boss.

I went out Saturday and drove a 5.0 GT 6spd. It was nice and I was impressed. It's deceivingly fast. It's very smooth and very quiet. It doesn't kick you in the pants like my other two cars, but before you know it, you are going faster than you realize.

They had a Boss on the lot, but it just sold, so I didn't even ask to drive it.

My question is this...How does the Boss drive vs the 5.0?

I imagine it is similar but better. How is the clutch on the Boss? I thought the 5.0 was very light and very livable for a daily driver. Is the Boss also light and easy to live with?

I would also guess it's a little louder with the quad exhaust, but not ridiculous.

Thanks in advance.

FKing1

Established Member
Have not driven a 5.0 GT, but, my Boss's clutch is very liveable, not stiff like my 04 Cobra was.
With baffles out of the side exhaust the sound is great and not too loud IMO. At 60 or 70 no drone and easy to hear the radio.
You will be very happy with one and should be able to get a good 2012 price since the 13's will be available soon.

TRMNTR

Established Member
Have not driven a 5.0 GT, but, my Boss's clutch is very liveable, not stiff like my 04 Cobra was.
With baffles out of the side exhaust the sound is great and not too loud IMO. At 60 or 70 no drone and easy to hear the radio.
You will be very happy with one and should be able to get a good 2012 price since the 13's will be available soon.

I see your local. Are you driving yours in the winter? In the snow?

Not sure if I would drive it in the snow or not, but I might if I got one.

FKing1

Established Member
I see your local. Are you driving yours in the winter? In the snow?

Not sure if I would drive it in the snow or not, but I might if I got one.

It's my daily driver. Try not to drive in the snow as it is not too good. Did it once. Being retired I stay in if it does snow.
Also, the tires have very little grip in the cold so U have to be careful around freezing or below.
Had a 550 HP Mystichrome 04 Cobra with 295 rear tires that was useless in 1/2" of snow. Couldn't get out of the drive!

divernb

Unrefined
Established Member
TRMNTR,

I just made the switch this weekend from 04 Cobra Coupe, to a 2012 Boss, and I can say there is no comparison, the boss is superior in every way. The suspension, build quality, noise factor, liveability, and clutch are all so much better. Since making the switch, I have not regretted it for one second.

What's nice about the boss is that in my seat time thus far (Only 170 miles !) is that it is able to put down it's 444 HP so well, even in 1st gear. The car is a lot of fun, I'd strongly recommend you find one to test drive.

Grant808

Established Member
OK guys. I am still considering the Boss.

I went out Saturday and drove a 5.0 GT 6spd. It was nice and I was impressed. It's deceivingly fast. It's very smooth and very quiet. It doesn't kick you in the pants like my other two cars, but before you know it, you are going faster than you realize.

They had a Boss on the lot, but it just sold, so I didn't even ask to drive it.

My question is this...How does the Boss drive vs the 5.0?

I imagine it is similar but better. How is the clutch on the Boss? I thought the 5.0 was very light and very livable for a daily driver. Is the Boss also light and easy to live with?

I would also guess it's a little louder with the quad exhaust, but not ridiculous.

Thanks in advance.

Similar, but better is a good way to put it. The clutch pedal is just as easy, but the clutch is a bit 'grabbier' to me. I've got GT500 mufflers on my GT and the Boss still sounds way better stock, but I'm running 3/4" discs now.

04nccobra

Established Member
TRMNTR,

I just made the switch this weekend from 04 Cobra Coupe, to a 2012 Boss, and I can say there is no comparison, the boss is superior in every way. The suspension, build quality, noise factor, liveability, and clutch are all so much better. Since making the switch, I have not regretted it for one second.

What's nice about the boss is that in my seat time thus far (Only 170 miles !) is that it is able to put down it's 444 HP so well, even in 1st gear. The car is a lot of fun, I'd strongly recommend you find one to test drive.

Starting to see a few locally drop down to the 40k range, it's tempting.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
I would even get a boss over a GT500 if I was on the market for a late model mustang ! Boss is cheaper , lighter , and handles better than the GT500..oh and the internals begging for boost + high stock compression ? Yea ! I take the Boss with a 3.6 KB LC.. I love my car , is my dream , pride and joy ever since car came out in 03, but a Boss get my VOTE over my car and a GT500 .. Boost vs boost wise :thumbsup:

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I would even get a boss over a GT500 if I was on the market for a late model mustang ! Boss is cheaper , lighter , and handles better than the GT500..oh and the internals begging for boost + high stock compression ? Yea ! I take the Boss with a 3.6 KB LC.. I love my car , is my dream , pride and joy ever since car came out in 03, but a Boss get my VOTE over my car and a GT500 .. Boost vs boost wise :thumbsup:

Yes, the Boss is fun with a 3.6LC KB. :rockon:

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Yes, the Boss is fun with a 3.6LC KB. :rockon:

Are the internals on the BOSS better than the shelby GT500? I know stock rods on shelbys are the weak links once u getting high on HP , while I have seen Boss 's making 800whp stock motor taking it

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
I am in the same position as the original poster. I keep going back and forth on a decision. Unfortunately, I can't bare to get rid of my 03 Cobra. I fully realize the boss is a better built car for obvious reasons, but I just can't replace all the good times Ive had in my 03 (we have history!). I guess the only option is to continue to save for a Boss and have both.

The Terminator, 5.0 and Boss are much better cars than a 65 Stang. Yet there is still a place for the 65. A car gains appeal as it ages and you can keep it maintained. There are millions of buildings that are much better than the Parthenon, yet the Parthenon is amazing now because it is so old.

A clean 6 month old car is no major feat. To keep a car looking good for 10+ years takes a lot of effort and care. I'll be holding on to my Terminator till it's the last one standing lol!

If I ever get another Mustang it will be sitting next to the Cobra in the garage. I will even build a bigger garage if needed.

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
I ran into a Boss yesterday and took some crappy iPhone photos and a video. It sounded really good!

8085096373_2d44f208bf_b.jpg

8085096313_4086af8d18_b.jpg

8085094432_2de0ce5a2c_b.jpg

8085094576_11d1ca3a51_b.jpg

8085094394_aaa0204792_b.jpg

8085094704_141042c5aa_b.jpg

8085096455_ea9aec495a_b.jpg

Last edited:

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
I sold my 03 termi that made the same power as yours and picked up a 2013 Boss, and havent looked back. It doesnt have the tire frying power, but it is so much more of a car. Way more comfortable, ride quality is superior, and its only a supercharger away from making more power than the termi.

that being said, I would want a foxbody as a daily driver, they just feel outdated. For the record, I do still have my 91 foxbody notch, a 2003 vortech supercharged Mach1 and the Boss which I daily drive. there really is no reason not to drive the boos, it is simply too much fun and I think it will make a nice drag car too :)

Bizness

Someone Stole My title
Established Member
I didn't go to a Boss but bought a 13 GT/CS to park beside my 04 Cobra
I agree with what most have said. The 13 is so much more refined.
The Cobra is just raw and in your face. They are 2 different cars for sure
Heres a good example of the size difference.

DSC04491.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread