Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I agree (if you believe that a dual clutch transmission is the same thing as an automatic). That's why I would forgo all of the following:

ferrari-458-speciale-rt-1-37.jpg

FerrariF12tdf_4.jpg

2014-Ferrari-LaFerrari-side-in-motion1.jpg

FXXKred6serial211446.png

buyers_guide_-_mclaren_p1_2014_-_front_quarter.jpg

McLarenGT_SnettertonTest-Feb2015-038-1.jpg

2016-Mclaren-675LT-front-three-quarters-02.jpg

huracan_performante_orange_125.jpg

Silver_918_Spyder_07.0.0.jpg

2016-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-rear-three-quarter-01.jpg

2017-Ford-GT-1.jpg

And for that matter literally every serious modern race car on the planet

For one sweet, sweet shot at this:

1992-mercury-capri-xr2-turbo-convertible-5-speed-manual-90k-miles-no-rust-1.jpg

1992-mercury-capri-xr2-turbo-convertible-5-speed-manual-90k-miles-no-rust-13.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Somebody sent me a note and was of the opinion that the GT500 will not use a Tremec DCT and that the proof lies in the fact that the facility that will be tapped to manufacture them isn't up and running yet.

Searching for a clear answer I see a number of stories from last summer with respect to a move to Wixom, MI (but with a mailing address in Novi, MI). Wixom was successful in beating a few other domestic locales as well as Mexico, etc. Tremec plans to spend 54 million on the facility.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...supplier-tremec-to-establish-u-s-headquarters

How do we know that the potential GT500 transmission will be built there? Tremec put it this way...

The project represents the company’s first major manufacturing operations in the United States. The new 125,000 square foot building will enable TREMEC to expand Michigan operations from technical and customer support to a complete full service facility with engineering, business development, testing, and transmission assembly operations under one roof. The automotive transmission operations are expected to produce high-torque dual clutch transmissions for OEM vehicles.
http://www.tremec.com/noticias_detalle/tremec-moves-to-new-facility/

I can't find anything current regarding completion and whether or not any DCT's have been produced there yet. I would assume that if the GT500 is announced soon and available to order in 2018 that the facility would be fairly close to being up and running. Anyone in the area that can provide clarity here?

Bring on the ferocity, err boring, Tremec.

Tremec said:
One of the great opportunities that exists with a dual-clutch transmission is the ability to create brand-specific shift profiles, ranging from imperceptible limousine-like shifts to ferocious"F1"-style shifts. Basically, the feeling of any maneuver depends on the way torque is transferred to the wheels. The Tremec DCT technology opens up an array of custom options.
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/High-Torque DCTs_Case.Study.pdf

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Somebody sent me a note and was of the opinion that the GT500 will not use a Tremec DCT and that the proof lies in the fact that the facility that will be tapped to manufacture them isn't up and running yet.

Searching for a clear answer I see a number of stories from last summer with respect to a move to Wixom, MI (but with a mailing address in Novi, MI). Wixom was successful in beating a few other domestic locales as well as Mexico, etc. Tremec plans to spend 54 million on the facility.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...supplier-tremec-to-establish-u-s-headquarters

How do we know that the potential GT500 transmission will be built there? Tremec put it this way...

http://www.tremec.com/noticias_detalle/tremec-moves-to-new-facility/

I can't find anything current regarding completion and whether or not any DCT's have been produced there yet. I would assume that if the GT500 is announced soon and available to order in 2018 that the facility would be fairly close to being up and running. Anyone in the area that can provide clarity here?

Bring on the ferocity, err boring, Tremec.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/High-Torque DCTs_Case.Study.pdf
Very interesting.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
DBK is pulling a Steve Bannon and setting himself on fire in the middle of the street. I like the member a lot and have touted him a bunch of times. Anyways I still think he’s a very wise experienced member but I disagree with him about this issue. No mal intent. I wish the guy the best but I like my manual. It limits super car choices for me, but so does my budget. I can thankfully buy something better than that convertible... get real.

DCT’s are nice and many super cars are too nervous to drive without a good dct and stability nannies on. Hell a corvette z06 becomes an axe murderer. That said, it’s unlikely that Ford will only offer a dct or more likely the 10spd auto. I think they’ll offer a manual as well so everybody wins.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Triple lol

That said most people 16-25 aren’t even into cars any more, and gtpremi is right that they prefer autos. Technocracy is creeping on in sadly. I’ll be surprised if it’s common to own or drive a car in 25 years. High priced leases and auto pilot, oh how lovely.... they’ll go for it willingly though because the high priced leases will be camouflaged as monthly memberships where you can drive certain cars at a given rate. Say $500/mo for most economy cars, $750 for most mid level, and $1000 for the better stuff. Porsche and Audi will let you probably get driven around by auto pilot in an r8/too their stuff for $3500 a month, gosh what a lovely future. And most all of the people will be in debt to their hair follicles in other ways so that they can have the monthly membership premium.

From the manufacturers perspective it’s a slam dunk but I see it as a means to an end.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I thought I noticed a little clutch slipping there. Maybe just some shaft play? Hardy weinstei er I mean hardy har har. (Too soon?)

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Don't rag the Mercury Capri. It's what I learned to drive a manual in.

Honestly, I still pine for those days, when men were men, and you could hop in, drop the top and literally feel your chest hair bursting forth as you engaged in a sublime ballet of clutch pedal and shifter manipulations in a ride like that.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
@ tones_rs3 all of the lol’s. I’m still laughing

DBK, I was quick to judge, I thought that was that Mazda thing which was ff.

The Capri was a car of a different era. I remember now the brawny hand towel packaging art, the burly mullets, flying free in freshly cleaner (damn then-modern tech of catalytic converters), Conan was alive and well in the minds of men, and the venerable 5.0 was alive and well. A far superior fore father to the red headed nerdy step child we call a 5.0 today.

The 80’s. When being cool was being manly. We even had Miami Vice and white suits. Nuff said.

(Well I jut found out that the Mercury had a Mazda powertrain, I got a kick out of that.)

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I learned stick in an a slew of things from rwd mitsubisihi bedless “work” truck (peace of sh*t), to coupes. I didn’t get good with a stick till my ms6 and later with my 03 cobra, and later daily drivers, driving events etc. I was rubbish when I was 14, ok at 17-18, decent at 23/24, and am pretty good at 28 now.

I mean 48, I remember driving in the 1980’s 5.0’s like yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread