Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Don't rag the Mercury Capri. It's what I learned to drive a manual in.

Honestly, I still pine for those days, when men were men, and you could hop in, drop the top and literally feel your chest hair bursting forth as you engaged in a sublime ballet of clutch pedal and shifter manipulations in a ride like that.
Wait, better clutch feel than the 350R?

rwleonard

Established Member
FWIW, (not much, I know) I will be sticking with a manual for the same reasons I fish with a fly rod and hunt with a bow; I find them more fun and engaging, if less "effective." Don't get (getteth?) me started on the joys of raising a barn...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I think they’ll offer a manual as well so everybody wins.

There will definitely be a real manual. Didn't Ford go on record some years ago and say there will never be an automatic transmission in a top dog Mustang? I seem to remember Jamaal Hameedi saying it and John Coletti before him. I do realize that companies refocus sometimes. BMW used to say they would never use a turbo engine in an M car. Look at them now. All of their M cars have turbos. I still don't believe Ford is going to put a torque converter in a GT500. I could definitely see a DCT being offered. A real manual will still be the standard transmission.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
FWIW, (not much, I know) I will be sticking with a manual for the same reasons I fish with a fly rod and hunt with a bow; I find them more fun and engaging, if less "effective." Don't get (getteth?) me started on the joys of raising a barn...

Don't get me wrong, I love the sport and can both appreciate and agree with your point of view. It just seems to be overlooked by some, that some days I don't want to "enjoy the sport"... some days I'm just hungry and want to eat.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I love the sport and can both appreciate and agree with your point of view. It just seems to be overlooked by some, that some days I don't want to "enjoy the sport"... some days I'm just hungry and want to eat.

Nobody eats for free! You want to eat? You gotta work for it! LOL

rwleonard

Established Member
" It just seems to be overlooked by some, that some days I don't want to "enjoy the sport"... some days I'm just hungry and want to eat."

Lol! I almost added something like this my post: Don't get me wrong, I am not above using a rifle to put a couple of does in the freezer or trolling for blues or spanish to put on a fish fry.

conceptmachine

Established Member
There will definitely be a real manual. Didn't Ford go on record some years ago and say there will never be an automatic transmission in a top dog Mustang? I seem to remember Jamaal Hameedi saying it and John Coletti before him. I do realize that companies refocus sometimes. BMW used to say they would never use a turbo engine in an M car. Look at them now. All of their M cars have turbos. I still don't believe Ford is going to put a torque converter in a GT500. I could definitely see a DCT being offered. A real manual will still be the standard transmission.

just like everything in life. Don't count on it.

305Cobra

Established Member
Since when has a dodge been picked over a ford or been fast ... dam alot has change i rather drive a new fastback coyote than a challanger..

rwleonard

Established Member
"I bare knuckle box piranha and hunt for mountain lions on my lunch break."

Wow, sorry. Didn't mean to hit a nerve with that, just making an analogy to other hobbies. My wife fly fishes for tarpon, too, does that make it better or worse?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
At rwleonard, you took me wrong brother, I’m as into the things you said as they come. I grew up hunting at 5, got a 3.57 for a birthday gift at 9, and own a small arsenal haha.

My apologies if I seemed to be attacking you, I was just trying to be funny. I do like the outdoors far more than the city. I’ve been the guy almost foolishly defending manual transmission in this thread.

My dad would buffalo hunt short range with kasools and a broken tailbone haha, no intended joke at your expense man, god bless America and the freedom to live it up in the real world

rwleonard

Established Member
No offense taken, I did misunderstand your point, though, I thought I had somehow ruffled your feathers. My reply was as much because my wife thought it was funny as anything. And as we all know, keeping the wife happy is way more important to our happiness than what kind of transmission we have.

And just for the record, just because a manual trans or fly rod makes me happy, doesn't mean it has to make anyone else happy. And...won't it be fun to have an actual car to argue about instead of various aspects of a speculative one?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Any one who hates this new gt500 already, or at launch will have to deal with Chuck Norris.

That said, the American scene as a whole is epic right now. Tesla, dodge, chevys, fords, hennessey venom, et al.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any one who hates this new gt500 already, or at launch will have to deal with Chuck Norris.

That said, the American scene as a whole is epic right now. Tesla, dodge, chevys, fords, hennessey venom, et al.

I, for one, can't believe Hennessey is still in business.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Opinions are a dime a dozen, but they don’t have to weigh society down. I think most everybody in here has voiced a legitimate viewpoint. Dct’s are good in their way, manual in other ways, auto is eh, well let’s just agree that opinions all vary.

Hennessy is still in business because the horror stories aren’t representing much of his customer base. Find me an automotive business where they have 95% or more positive feedback. Hell, 75% positive feedback. I don’t know what Henessesy consumer feedback looks like and frankly I don’t need to know. They haven’t had to shut doors yet, meanwhile lots of other more well received groups have such as (and I hate to say it) essentially Saleen. And I like them a lot.

It’s one thing to run a small business like a restaurant or a convenience store and have that kind of rep, it’s entirely different to run what is arguably the most prone to failure business-hi po and hyper build work.

Build a guy a 1000hp car, and it’s 99% likely they’ll end up neglecting maintenance, or care. It’s true that some builders are shitty and cut corners, but Henessey himself isn’t physically building every car that comes in, and if someone screws something up, they take action.

There were horror stories that Henessey did this or that but I haven’t met these people, I have seen their posts.

I see it in my local community “ya that son of a bitch at xxx didn’t tune my car right and it blew up!” “That bastard at xyz didn’t tell me I had to check my plugs more often on a turbo car!!!!” “That ass at pdq never said it would lose oil, how was I gonna know it’s 2 quarts low?!!”

Building hyper builds and tuner cars is a bad business to be in because you will end up at points dealing with less than knowledgeable people who have some money or available debt and want to be something of a hotshot/fast/etc. Most people with a bought 1000hp build can’t describe how a cam works relative to the head or combustion chambers, and they know about as much about a turbo charger as they do their retirement planning. “The rep said this one is a good choice so I went with it”

I’m not defending or justifying bad business genes set or any tuning shop has been parcel, part, or whole in, but writing off businesses because of bad scenarios would literally limit consumer choices to very few businesses. I’d argue none.

Anyways, I think Henessey found a niche and made a business. If it was all terrible, he’d have closed doors long ago.

Zemedici

Established Member
Opinions are a dime a dozen, but they don’t have to weigh society down. I think most everybody in here has voiced a legitimate viewpoint. Dct’s are good in their way, manual in other ways, auto is eh, well let’s just agree that opinions all vary.

Hennessy is still in business because the horror stories aren’t representing much of his customer base. Find me an automotive business where they have 95% or more positive feedback. Hell, 75% positive feedback. I don’t know what Henessesy consumer feedback looks like and frankly I don’t need to know. They haven’t had to shut doors yet, meanwhile lots of other more well received groups have such as (and I hate to say it) essentially Saleen. And I like them a lot.

It’s one thing to run a small business like a restaurant or a convenience store and have that kind of rep, it’s entirely different to run what is arguably the most prone to failure business-hi po and hyper build work.

Build a guy a 1000hp car, and it’s 99% likely they’ll end up neglecting maintenance, or care. It’s true that some builders are shitty and cut corners, but Henessey himself isn’t physically building every car that comes in, and if someone screws something up, they take action.

There were horror stories that Henessey did this or that but I haven’t met these people, I have seen their posts.

I see it in my local community “ya that son of a bitch at xxx didn’t tune my car right and it blew up!” “That bastard at xyz didn’t tell me I had to check my plugs more often on a turbo car!!!!” “That ass at pdq never said it would lose oil, how was I gonna know it’s 2 quarts low?!!”

Building hyper builds and tuner cars is a bad business to be in because you will end up at points dealing with less than knowledgeable people who have some money or available debt and want to be something of a hotshot/fast/etc. Most people with a bought 1000hp build can’t describe how a cam works relative to the head or combustion chambers, and they know about as much about a turbo charger as they do their retirement planning. “The rep said this one is a good choice so I went with it”

I’m not defending or justifying bad business genes set or any tuning shop has been parcel, part, or whole in, but writing off businesses because of bad scenarios would literally limit consumer choices to very few businesses. I’d argue none.

Anyways, I think Henessey found a niche and made a business. If it was all terrible, he’d have closed doors long ago.

all of that would be fine and dandy

if it wasn't PUBLICLY KNOWN that they steal customer parts, take parts off of car A to complete car B, etc etc.

It's been like that for YEARS.

Its like when people call me and go 'my car doesn't run right, BAMA tuned it'

Why on God's green earth are you having BAMA tune your car, in 2018? Do you EVER go near the internet?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So I started looking for more information regarding Tremec's new facility in Wixom, MI that is earmarked to produce at least some of their DCT's. I happened to notice a Tremec distributor that is literally right down the street and shot out an email to a contact that knows them. I asked a few specific questions that went unanswered but that is usually how this works. Basically I asked if anyone knew the status of completion or readiness at the new building. Without going into further detail, I did get this back from my contact...

The building is up and occupied but I have not seen a single piece of equipment in the building. The 10 speed automatic would probably be the safe choice if he is ordering one.

Shit.

I didn't get to speak to them directly so I am uncertain as to how much they know about GT500 specifics so it is difficult to gauge the comment regarding the 10 speed. The commentary regarding occupancy and equipment (or lack thereof) is quite telling.

Leaves me wondering now if the DCT may be optional if it is indeed available. I'm also wondering if Tremec is setup to produce some DCT's for this car elsewhere (Mexico?) until everything is in place in Wixom.

I hope Ford offers some cookie crumbs soon.

Users who are viewing this thread