Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I can’t see why ford would use a single application dct when they just finished building a very versatile 10spd auto.

My gut and bet is the 10spd is the optional auto. It works fine in the zl1, yuckon denali, rapter, mustang gt, etc. I’m not personally moved by this auto to buy one over a stick, but for people that like auto’s, this is about as good as it gets save pdk’s and dcts.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Its like when people call me and go 'my car doesn't run right, BAMA tuned it'

Why on God's green earth are you having BAMA tune your car, in 2018? Do you EVER go near the internet?

I miss Doug. When he told me he was selling his company to American Muscle, I cried. I'm glad he taught me the little bit that he did.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Since I decided to try and buy a new GT500 and was having a problem deciding which transmission to go with, I have come up with a plan.

The first person who steps up and pays for the car, gets to choose the transmission type and any other options they want on my car.
Looking forward to a delivery date, thanks to all.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think we’ll see a bullit early this year to be sold may+, and a gt500 tail end of the year to be released December 18/early 19.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I can’t see why ford would use a single application dct when they just finished building a very versatile 10spd auto.

That wouldn't be unusual for Ford. The high end Mustangs always get bespoke engines and other parts.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Chicago is my bet. Follows the timeline I was given almost to the T.

That’s what I was thinking. Even though SVT is no more. That’s were they have unveiled most SVT products correct? Also I’m guessing the Bullitt will be released or unveiled I should say in Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voltwings

Established Member
That wouldn't be unusual for Ford. The high end Mustangs always get bespoke engines and other parts.

You gotta think about where they can amortize the cost. That old 5.4 / 5.8 had a LONG run, and Ford pretty much whored it out over like 15 years in the specialty vehicles, they got their money's worth. The 5.2 in the voodoo is a bit odd, but i guess it's mostly a coyote block anyways, so it's not starting 100% from scratch.

A DCT though... where else could they put that to help recoup some of the costs? There really isn't anywhere since mustangs share most of their powertrains / drivetrains with the F-150, it would make it a very expensive investment for a specialty vehicle that still needs to slot in relatively "affordably." Unless we see a DCT F-150, then what the **** do i know lol.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A DCT though... where else could they put that to help recoup some of the costs? There really isn't anywhere since mustangs share most of their powertrains / drivetrains with the F-150, it would make it a very expensive investment for a specialty vehicle that still needs to slot in relatively "affordably." Unless we see a DCT F-150, then what the **** do i know lol.

Maybe in the premium line somewhere... Lincoln?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The 10a is already in mustangs, and it’s very strong.

-drivability tuning is basically ready with some mild calibration adjustments. Not very timely or expensive.

-strength is a non issue. This trans is already in 6000lbs trucks and suv’s with 400+hp/tq. (The new Denali’s, rapper etc)

It’s in the zl1 with few complaints, I don’t see why Ford would add million in cost to get a dct into a 15-20,000 production run car. Even if it cost just $5,000,000 to setup and get perfect (very unlikely) that would be an extra $250 cost per car, before the actual trans. Say this trans is $500 more expensive than their 10a (a guess) now you’re looking at a $750 cost with what to gain? Ford might be lucky enough to get 85-90% of msrp from the dealer purchase. That’s $56-63k assuming the car msrps for $70k. I can’t see them giving up 1 to 1.5% profit margin on a speciality (expensive to produce) model. All costs in, the gt500 will be close to a loss, I can’t see how they’d be much below $45k in cost per car. Factor the opportunity cost of the tied up resources that could have put a sticker and spring package with a sway bar on a sporty fiesta or what have you, and you’re at a break even or a loss. If there isn’t healthy profit in almost every operation, the manufacturer is going to start failing.

In any capacity where a dct is used, the 10a wouldn’t be much behind, strip or circuit, but it would be easier to drive/smoother.

I am just assuming but the 10a makes financial and logical sense. The dct made sense in the FGT. That’s a true halo unit now. The gt500 has to cover all bases in 2013 so they went big. 200mph, 660hp, etc. The FGT makes the GT500’s mission easier to profit off of. Testing and finalizing the 2013 for 200mph probably baked $3-5k of cost into everyone of those cars in my opinion.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
What other Ford vehicles used a TR6060 or TR3160 six speed manual? None. Manual transmissions are cheaper to produce, yes, but no less exclusive in this case. The DCT from Tremec is modular and will be used by multiple car manufacturers much like the above manuals were or are, each with their respective differences.

Voltwings

Established Member
What other Ford vehicles used a TR6060 or TR3160 six speed manual? None. Manual transmissions are cheaper to produce, yes, but no less exclusive in this case. The DCT from Tremec is modular and will be used by multiple car manufacturers much like the above manuals were or are, each with their respective differences.

That's a valid point. They ran the TR6060 in the GT500 from 07 (so made in 06?) to 14, so an 8-9 year run? I suppose they could do the same here and just run the cost out over time.

I still agree with the above that it would then take time (money) to write a calibration for it, as well as all the driveability and strength testing. Maybe that's what's taking so long, who knows.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Lemme just say that things have rapidly become very different at Ford. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I'm just saying that it is extremely unlikely that you will ever again find a combination like Raj Nair/Dave Pericak that possess both the authority and desire to consistently green light expensive, risky programs like Ford GT, and the willingness to rationalize them. Nair is no longer in charge of product development (and without him at that job there is literally zero chance the GT would have existed), Pericak is back at mainstream Ford and the position they basically created from him for all intents and purposes doesn't even exist anymore. Again, I don't say this as a sky-is-falling thing about the future of performance; I just say this to recognize that what was true yesterday might not be true tomorrow.

Therefore, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to divine the future, because I think at this point the future is subject to alteration literally at any point.

p.s, **** I want to put everyone in a car with that garbage A8 and in one with a decent DCT so they can stop comparing them. Geez.

csc427

Established Member
Lemme just say that things have rapidly become very different at Ford. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I'm just saying that it is extremely unlikely that you will ever again find a combination like Raj Nair/Dave Pericak that possess both the authority and desire to consistently green light expensive, risky programs like Ford GT, and the willingness to rationalize them. Nair is no longer in charge of product development (and without him at that job there is literally zero chance the GT would have existed), Pericak is back at mainstream Ford and the position they basically created from him for all intents and purposes doesn't even exist anymore. Again, I don't say this as a sky-is-falling thing about the future of performance; I just say this to recognize that what was true yesterday might not be true tomorrow.

Therefore, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to divine the future, because I think at this point the future is subject to alteration literally at any point.

p.s, **** I want to put everyone in a car with that garbage A8 and in one with a decent DCT so they can stop comparing them. Geez.
No comparison between the 2. Especially Pdk.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
@DBK

Was the original intent to debut the car on 01/12/2018? The dash easter egg originally makes me believe that's the case as it lines up perfectly with NAIAS.

Mustang%2Bhorsepower%2B1.jpg

But we should expect it at a later time?

Users who are viewing this thread