Any 80's/90's two stroke fans in here?

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
I bought an 88 quadracer 250 with my lawn mowing money when I was 11 years old. I ended up tearing it down and did a full frame up rebuild, mild port job, suspension work, paint, etc. Ended up selling it while I was in college but I'll always have a soft spot for the old Quadracer's. Your examples are absolutely amazing!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought an 88 quadracer 250 with my lawn mowing money when I was 11 years old. I ended up tearing it down and did a full frame up rebuild, mild port job, suspension work, paint, etc. Ended up selling it while I was in college but I'll always have a soft spot for the old Quadracer's. Your examples are absolutely amazing!

Lets see some pics!! Very, very cool. The 88 is very similar to the 87's.

I'll get some pics up of our 86's... the oddballs. I like them though haha

blownstang01

Established Member
I was never into quads in my early years, but had a bunch of 2 stroke bikes. My first was an RM 80 at like 12 years old. I had just come off of various 4 strokes and one ride had me. That thing was awesome. Several RM's, CR's , a couple KTM's all were fun as hell. The one that I thought would kill me was an 80-ish KDX400. That thing sat so tall I had to stand on a bucket to (hopefully) kick it over. Once running, it would tear your arms off....and it was "supposed" to be a trail bike.
I'm currently looking at buying some land and I see a few of these relics in my future.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I was never into quads in my early years, but had a bunch of 2 stroke bikes. My first was an RM 80 at like 12 years old. I had just come off of various 4 strokes and one ride had me. That thing was awesome. Several RM's, CR's , a couple KTM's all were fun as hell. The one that I thought would kill me was an 80-ish KDX400. That thing sat so tall I had to stand on a bucket to (hopefully) kick it over. Once running, it would tear your arms off....and it was "supposed" to be a trail bike.
I'm currently looking at buying some land and I see a few of these relics in my future.

LOVE the KDX story. Now I must research them. lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Here are the 86's... my sons has the blue hood (supposed to be black). He liked that hood better, even though I disagreed.

Mine has the correct black hood. Mine also has a milled .015" head, hand made cone pipe, 38mm Mikuni carb, and slightly raised exhaust ports. Bike ABSOLUTELY rips.

In fact, it destroys all of my other quads other than the lt500.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Pssh... If I still had my '04 Raptor 660, I'd show you what fast looks like... (just kidding!!! :))

Back in grade school, a friend brought his LT250 over and I really thought my 350 Warrior was hot shit until he took me for a ride. Holy shitballs did that thing RIP!!! I had an '86 RM80 when I was around 8 that was a hoot.

Here's my Raptor I sold right before my oldest was born and now that both kiddo's are getting older, I'm hoping to get back into riding with them before long.
Raptor.png

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I bought a Banshee brand new in 03. I then bought the first YFZ450R my dealership got in 04. Kept them both for a while but eventually sold the Banshee. I did mostly trail riding and could not take it on longer rides.

I did a Trinity Racing Intake manifold and single carb conversion, Toomey T5’s, V-Force reeds, cool heads and probably more I’m forgetting within a week of buying it.

Ive always wanted a Tecate-4 but they are near impossible to find. Fastest 250cc quad made at the time.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a Banshee brand new in 03. I then bought the first YFZ450R my dealership got in 04. Kept them both for a while but eventually sold the Banshee. I did mostly trail riding and could not take it on longer rides.

I did a Trinity Racing Intake manifold and single carb conversion, Toomey T5’s, V-Force reeds, cool heads and probably more I’m forgetting within a week of buying it.

Ive always wanted a Tecate-4 but they are near impossible to find. Fastest 250cc quad made at the time.

Correct on the Tecate being the fasted 250 of the time! They are super rare.. if i ever see one in decent condition ill pick it up. Although i never really liked how they look. My son loves them, however.

Banshee is defintely on the list. Sooner rather than later. They can make sooooo much power easy and parts are still plentiful.

1983 Honda cr in Mt Pleasant, NC
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/845011696714174/?ref=category_feed&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:f64ad47a-3f26-4639-bb8d-a4fc613d7841&__tn__=!:D
Not mine listed on marketplace 1983 ( not sure what i said lol) -- showing Honda did a reverse kick - - - And by the way now you got me scrolling for older smokers, thanks lol.
There it is.. left kick!

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Takes me back. Still want a banshee to this day. My dad worked at a honda/Yamaha shop for 30 years...so I worked there in the summers and was the guy that got to ride stuff they worked on when they were having issues. Dream job for a teenager(and also a 42yo now that I think about it)

My first dirt bike(yz125) and street legal bike were 2-stroke, the latter basically a weedeater motor that a 12yo could take himself to school on (Yamaha DT50)

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
We used to have a 1984(or 85) Honda 250sx. It was for the farm. My dad used it to spray in the cane when too tall for a tractor. That was my experience with off road things.

When I started working, I bought a used 01 yz125. I never drove a dirtbike or anything two stroke. I didnt know what a powerband felt like. What a rush when I went ride it when I got home! I didn't even know it had 6 gears at first. While a 125 makes far more power than I can utilize, I later went to a yz250 due to the power off idle. I couldnt and still cant ride well at all.

For those who want a Banshee, IMO they are only fun when you are on the power band. I always hated mine in trails. They handle like crap. It's easy to bolt on cylinders and make a lot of power even on pump gas. Stay away from china top end components and parts. The market is flooded with garbage parts. They are very easy to work on.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member

Yeah the 85-86 were the bastardized years. When I bought mine, he had it listed as an 87. I didn't realize until I tore it down that it was actually an 88 but I always wished it was an 87 since that was the only year with the big reed intake. It wasn't too crazy of a build but my parents weren't able to help me fund it, so I was working with that same very small mowing budget. Had it ported by a guy from way back when on the everything2stroke forums named Flotek and that really woke it up. Here's a goofy clip from the day before I sold it lol. BTW, the pics of your 86 didn't work for some reason.

172672_10150108778081245_7651772_o.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

That was a great article, thanks for sharing.

We used to have a 1984(or 85) Honda 250sx. It was for the farm. My dad used it to spray in the cane when too tall for a tractor. That was my experience with off road things.

When I started working, I bought a used 01 yz125. I never drove a dirtbike or anything two stroke. I didnt know what a powerband felt like. What a rush when I went ride it when I got home! I didn't even know it had 6 gears at first. While a 125 makes far more power than I can utilize, I later went to a yz250 due to the power off idle. I couldnt and still cant ride well at all.

For those who want a Banshee, IMO they are only fun when you are on the power band. I always hated mine in trails. They handle like crap. It's easy to bolt on cylinders and make a lot of power even on pump gas. Stay away from china top end components and parts. The market is flooded with garbage parts. They are very easy to work on.

All true on the banshee. I had a 94 that was mild with pipes, rejet, filters. It SCREAMED when it was on though! But yeah... dead off the pipes for sure.

Plus they're heavy and handle like poop, like you said.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah the 85-86 were the bastardized years. When I bought mine, he had it listed as an 87. I didn't realize until I tore it down that it was actually an 88 but I always wished it was an 87 since that was the only year with the big reed intake. It wasn't too crazy of a build but my parents weren't able to help me fund it, so I was working with that same very small mowing budget. Had it ported by a guy from way back when on the everything2stroke forums named Flotek and that really woke it up. Here's a goofy clip from the day before I sold it lol. BTW, the pics of your 86 didn't work for some reason.

View attachment 1783082

ive watched that video you posted about 20x not knowing it was you haha. Very cool.

I love our 86's! Like I said, one of them is the fastest quad in the fleet other than the quadzilla.

That said, im going to tear down one of the 87's in the coming weeks and port the cylinder, mill the head, and give it a fresh hone and piston.

Here is the first 87 we had, prior to picking up the one in the original post. It also is a low hour machine, and nice, but not quite as nice as the one I posted on page one.

I added a CT pipe a few months back, but the bike still lacks power IMO. Especially for being a "big reed" 87 like you mention. I guess I had higher expectations. My 86 makes this bike feel slow TBH.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
ive watched that video you posted about 20x not knowing it was you haha. Very cool.

I love our 86's! Like I said, one of them is the fastest quad in the fleet other than the quadzilla.

That said, im going to tear down one of the 87's in the coming weeks and port the cylinder, mill the head, and give it a fresh hone and piston.

Here is the first 87 we had, prior to picking up the one in the original post. It also is a low hour machine, and nice, but not quite as nice as the one I posted on page one.

I added a CT pipe a few months back, but the bike still lacks power IMO. Especially for being a "big reed" 87 like you mention. I guess I had higher expectations. My 86 makes this bike feel slow TBH.

Haha that is funny that you've seen my video. I know the 250's really woke up with the old Dr. Q pipes but those were super rare...he built very few of them for 250's. There is also an LT group on facebook and i've seen a few new companies building big bore type pipes for the 250's that supposedly put down some good power compared to all the big name brand pipes that have always been available. Might check them out if you are looking for something to go with the port job.

Nowadays, I just get to watch my kiddo's rip around. And i'm not complaining! Got a few TRX70's, ATC70's, and a PW50 so i'm still living out my childhood dreams lol. Not a 2 stroke but still love watching them....

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Haha that is funny that you've seen my video. I know the 250's really woke up with the old Dr. Q pipes but those were super rare...he built very few of them for 250's. There is also an LT group on facebook and i've seen a few new companies building big bore type pipes for the 250's that supposedly put down some good power compared to all the big name brand pipes that have always been available. Might check them out if you are looking for something to go with the port job.

Nowadays, I just get to watch my kiddo's rip around. And i'm not complaining! Got a few TRX70's, ATC70's, and a PW50 so i'm still living out my childhood dreams lol. Not a 2 stroke but still love watching them....

that's where it starts... they'll be on bigger 2 strokes soon enough!

Users who are viewing this thread