Any 80's/90's two stroke fans in here?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
No company makes good after market cylinders for the quad racers? I know port work makes a huge difference but there's only so much a stock cylinder (and even a stroker crank) can do. From my experience 45rwhp is way more than enough on four wheels. Especially for two strokes, traction is very hard to obtain but I ride on grass a lot.

As for needing more power. I had more fun when my bike was bolt ons. She's a little rowdy these days.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
No company makes good after market cylinders for the quad racers? I know port work makes a huge difference but there's only so much a stock cylinder (and even a stroker crank) can do. From my experience 45rwhp is way more than enough on four wheels. Especially for two strokes, traction is very hard to obtain but I ride on grass a lot.

As for needing more power. I had more fun when my bike was bolt ons. She's a little rowdy these days.

Ton's of weird cylinder combinations have been put together for the 500's over the years, but about the only thing I've seen for the 250's is the 88 RM250 cylinder conversion. Even that wasn't a big step up from the 87 LT250 cylinder. It was always more common to see the 250 guys just drop in the LT500 motor since it is an easy conversion and there are pipes readily available for the hybrid setups.

BTW, I always enjoyed your youtube videos, both the banshee and lightning stuff. I can't even imagine 109 hp....

SVTFastBack

Established Member
My step Grandad has owned a machine shop for 50 years and has 2 badass Banshee's one made for desert ripping and other for the the dunes that shreds with stroked/bored and custom made in-house ground cam, basically drag built. And you'll never case anything lol.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice find! Love the old two strokes! My 88 250R that was set up for hill climbing. Growing up I had a MX80, KDX 80, KX80 big wheel, YZ80, DT250D, KX125. Most recent addiction is this 1986 X2 jet ski. It is a 650 two cylinder two stoke, big pipe, carb, stainless 8/16 impeller, fun little toy! As I get older it hurts a lot less falling on water!

Here is our trx250r... great machine! Totally different feel riding this thing vs the LT's.

andymarkv

Established Member
Man that brings back memories!
Long story short... I was getting into a lot of trouble and the folks wanted me to hang out with another kid my age who was into 4 wheelers. So they helped me buy this one.(I was working on a farm and had to pay them back)
As far as I know it was an '86, I bought it from another farm kid in '89 when I was 14.
Mom and Dad had ZERO clue about ATV's and had no idea their kid just bought an absolute RIPPER and was street riding the wheels off it in rural PA!(Oh, it was also basically my first machine...steep learning curve at 14!! LOL)
1677711898016.png

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Man that brings back memories!
Long story short... I was getting into a lot of trouble and the folks wanted me to hang out with another kid my age who was into 4 wheelers. So they helped me buy this one.(I was working on a farm and had to pay them back)
As far as I know it was an '86, I bought it from another farm kid in '89 when I was 14.
Mom and Dad had ZERO clue about ATV's and had no idea their kid just bought an absolute RIPPER and was street riding the wheels off it in rural PA!(Oh, it was also basically my first machine...steep learning curve at 14!! LOL)View attachment 1783099

An 86 indeed! Very cool story and good for you.

This bike (well, the '85 - but 85/86 were effectively identical) is the bike that eliminated 3 wheelers.

Suzuki's 1985 "Quadracer" 250 was the worlds first "high performance" 4 wheeler.

The 85/86's weighed UNDER 295 lbs which is crazy. They were AS LIGHT as the 85/86 ATC250R. The 1986 trx250r weighed almost 360 lbs!

Because of their lightweight, the Suzuki's were faster in a straight line than the Honda trx250R's were in factory form, although its generally agreed that the Honda handled better.

shelbymopar89

Established Member
Here is our trx250r... great machine! Totally different feel riding this thing vs the LT's.

Very nice 250R!, hell nice spread all the way across! I never had the opportunity to sling a leg over an LT250, would like to feel the difference back to back. There is just something about the old bikes, how they rode and felt. Maybe it was because everyone looks back at their childhood, but to this day they put a hell of a smile on my face.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
A friend crashed his bike Sunday and took a foot peg to the thigh, bet that tickled View attachment 1783132
Ouch, brother took one through the chest on his 250r back in ‘88 riding the power lines. Narrow miss to the heart through the pec…things were crazy powerful for their day and even still.

dwest731

Established Member
Damn! He got very lucky, we used to sharpen the pegs to help the boots stay stuck to them in muddy races. Such a fun and dangerous sport, but I have learned “with age comes a cage”

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Tcat 1000 triple

My buddy had one and jesus was it heavy but man would it fly...160ish hp iirc

My yamaha SRX 700 triple triple makes 145 and its silly quick

This is my SRX

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Ill be watching these run in 2 weeks on the medic side...i may race my SRX in the stock 700 class if i can get time to get a new track on

This one is nasty

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Just put a new fuel petcock on my 98 Polaris 250 Trailboss. It just keeps chugging along.

Users who are viewing this thread