Another one bites the dust - a few questions

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
Leave the belt off and assemble. Once everything is together stuff part of the belt behind the crank pulley and the other end round the AC comp pulley. Roll the engine over wile watching/guiding the bottom of the belt at the AC pulley.
The belt will stretch. Use a big zip tie to hold the belt onto the crank pulley if you have to

I'll give it a shot, thanks

ford20

Established Member
Let me know How it goes. It's one thing I have been trying to figure out for awhile in my head.

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
Let me know How it goes. It's one thing I have been trying to figure out for awhile in my head.

Worked like a charm, thanks again DD2013!
Pretty much get it like this:
1Y69suql.jpg

Then I pulled the belt from the top towards the crank pulley to get it started and turned the crank with a breaker bar until it slipped on. I had to use the breaker bar in the opposite direction while guiding the belt with a screwdriver to get the belt seated right on the compressor.

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
Believe it or not it runs. I still have to put the blower, driveshaft and exhaust on but it ran and didn't smoke like crazy so that's a good thing. I lost the retainer clip for my clutch hose too and just ran a loop of safety wire through it and spun it down. Seems to be holding but I'll replace it if its not $100 for the plastic piece.
https://instagram.com/p/7lL27PqpC1/?taken-by=lennyvidivici

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
Lol! sweet pic.
That picture cost me $120 lol..
Tomorrow should be the day I drive this shitbox again. I just need the exhaust nuts, not sure what size they are because everything is rusted. I spent all day (6-9) putting the blower and driveshaft in. I'll give it 5 miles of quality break in before I rip a burnout...... let's see how this plays out.

Edit: Header to cat nuts are M10x1.5 thread on the exhaust. The ones at the rear connection that go to the mufflers should be the same.

Last edited:

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
Awesome congrats!

Thanks! Just got back from it's maiden voyage. Smoked a little at startup bit it went away. I blew off an intake coupling giving it some gas and oil came dripping out of the intake where the coupling came off. I suspect it's from the blowing up incident, but I'll be monitoring oil consumption. It sure as hell not smoking like it did when it blew and I don't have any warning lights. My new ram clutch and rigged clutch line seem to be playing nice. I didn't really follow the instructions for the clutch because they didn't make sense to me but I guess I was right not to. I'm at 26900 miles today just to mark it.

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
It stopped smoking altogether, I have no CELs, it feels fast even with the vortech tune and a minor boost leak. I'd say overall it was a success. I've put 350 miles or so on it with no other hiccups. I'll report back in a few thousand miles or the next "event" whichever comes first.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Glad to see you're back on the road. I'm looking into a built short block and was thinking about installing the heads and cams myself, how bad is it? I've put together old school Chevy and Ford engines in the past just never any modular engines.

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
Glad to see you're back on the road. I'm looking into a built short block and was thinking about installing the heads and cams myself, how bad is it? I've put together old school Chevy and Ford engines in the past just never any modular engines.
It really wasn't bad. The SOHC 4.6 is much more difficult because the cams want to spin with the spring force. The coyote was super easy, pretty much just followed this http://www.americanmuscle.com/compcams-xfinsr-camshafts-1112gt-install.html without the phaser limiter bs. Once the small chain is on the cams they won't spin unless you want them to.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread