Another incedent with Open Carry..

mr2cam

Established Member
If I am legally carrying my gun, and am not under suspicion of having previously committed a crime/in the process of committing a crime, a policeman cannot legally detain me, ask for any identification, nor temporarily seize my weapon.....that is the bottom line here.

Notice there was no huge production once the supervisor showed up because he knew the law and appropriately applied it!

Now if we want to debate the issue of whether or not a leo "should" be able to check ID's/seize weapons no matter what, then that's a different conversation.

Ya but that doesn't mean the guy on camera has to be a complete dick about it.. How hard is it to show the guy your id, I mean he was on a mission to flex his muscles and to stick it to the PD..

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Ya but that doesn't mean the guy on camera has to be a complete dick about it.. How hard is it to show the guy your id, I mean he was on a mission to flex his muscles and to stick it to the PD..

It isn't hard, and you don't have to be a dick about it, but it's the principle of the situation. The police cannot legally demand your ID when you are doing nothing illegal - if you sheepishly provide it, then you're only serving to make that the norm, and reducing our rights.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I open carry during the summer time, mainly because I don't have a good concealed holster (even though I have my permit) and during the summer it's kinda hard to conceal my gun anyway, I also live in an area that is very lax about open carry, never been stopped once for it.

But this guy obviously knew he was going to get stopped, it sounds like they have been having problems in that area, so he was inviting them into an ambush where he tried to make them look stupid when all he did was make himself look like an asshat.

Get a Crossbreed IWB holster. Love mine.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I do not see any issue with what he was doing, and did not read that the thread had anything to do with who is right and who was wrong. That's just what it has turned into.

Where the OC is in the wrong is by exploiting it on youtube. That's where I take issue. Since the OC has demonstrated more than once on YT his rights to carry he is clearly out to provoke the police. That is where he is wrong IMO.

Keep pushing the issue and showing off, great idea! Just brings unwanted attention to a matter that will not favor one rights to carry. Plenty of voters out there that swing on the issue.

This jackass is just looking for money since the guy in Phili was able to pull it off.

Last edited:

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
The idiot is already filming the whole event. Whats wrong with giving him your I.D.

If anything is wrong........YOU HAVE THE VIDEO PROOF. This guy was just being a dick. Maine needs to pass a law to freely slap a bitch.

You are probably why we have a dick for a governor. :dw:

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Why are you so scared of one guy having his gun out in the open when all criminals conceal their weapon.. No criminal is gonna walk into a place he is about to rob and have his gun on his hip for the rest of people to see..

Again I don't agree with what the guy said, but some people need to realize how many people actually carry a weapon while other people have no clue..

Not one guy, guys like this, who seem to me are to irresponsible to be carrying. I don't like the idea of a kid that just turned 18 can go get a hand gun. I do not want to take anyone's guns away, nor do I want to be at a family picnic, where there are 18 year old kids drinking, and packing. I grew up here in NY where guns out in the open were not the norm. I think there should be some level of responsibility that goes with open carry, not just having a few hundred bucks to buy one. I would defiantly call my kids inside, if a stranger was walking my neighborhood with a gun. I'm not saying its right or wrong, I just am not used to seeing it. There are a lot of scumbags that roam around our beaches, parks, arcades, ect. I want guns in responsable hands, not attention seeking dorks. Question, if a stranger was walking up, and down your block, with a gun, would you be at least a little concerned?

Last edited:

mr2cam

Established Member
Not one guy, guys like this, who seem to me are to irresponsible to be carrying. I don't like the idea of a kid that just turned 18 can go get a hand gun. I do not want to take anyone's guns away, nor do I want to be at a family picnic, where there are 18 year old kids drinking, and packing. I grew up here in NY where guns out in the open were not the norm. I think there should be some level of responsibility that goes with open carry, not just having a few hundred bucks to buy one. I would defiantly call my kids inside, if a stranger was walking my neighborhood with a gun. I'm not saying its right or wrong, I just am not used to seeing it. There are a lot of scumbags that roam around our beaches, parks, arcades, ect. I want guns in responsable hands, not attention seeking dorks. Question, if a stranger was walking up, and down your block, with a gun, would you be at least a little concerned?

I thought to own a handgun you had to be 21 years old.. But I could be wrong considering I just bought my first handgun at the age of 26..

You need to also look at the gun crimes that happen during open carry, if you look at the percentage you would probably think differently, 99% of gun crimes happen when the gun is CONCEALED..

Last edited:

jrd699

Established Member
I do not see any issue with what he was doing, and did not read that the thread had anything to do with who is right and who was wrong. That's just what it has turned into.

Where the OC is in the wrong is by exploiting it on youtube. That's where I take issue. Since the OC has demonstrated more than once on YT his rights to carry he is clearly out to provoke the police. That is where he is wrong IMO.

Keep pushing the issue and showing off, great idea! Just brings unwanted attention to a matter that will not favor one rights to carry. Plenty of voters out there that swing on the issue.

This jackass is just looking for money since the guy in Phili was able to pull it off.

And this..... I agree 100% a gun is not a toy, or a way to show off. Gun ownership is a responsibility.

jrd699

Established Member
I thought to own a handgun you had to be 21 years old.. But I could be wrong considering I just bought my first handgun at the age of 26..

You need to also look at the gun crimes that happen during open carry, if you look at the percentage you would probably think differently, 99% of gun crimes happen when the gun is CONCEALED..

It's not about open, or concealed for me. I don't want attention seeking, immature little kids carrying a hand gun period. I thought I read 18, but that may be for rifle.. I want guns in the hands of responsible people.

mr2cam

Established Member
It's not about open, or concealed for me. I don't want attention seeking, immature little kids carrying a hand gun period. I thought I read 18, but that may be for rifle.. I want guns in the hands of responsible people.

I'm pretty sure rifles are 18 and handguns are 21.. So your willing to send kids off to war at the age of 18 but say they can't drink or buy a handgun until they are 21? Also how many gang bangers do you see walking down the street open carrying? The only people I know do that are law abiding citizens..

Last edited:

Lockdown

Established Member
To everybody in this thread...

THIS IS HOW A POLICEMAN SHOULD INVESTIGATE A OPEN CARRY COMPLAINT (Short, sweet, and to the point):

[youtube_browser]vyS7Qr58wkU[/youtube_browser]

Much credit to the officer in the video.

... end thread here.

jrd699

Established Member
I'm pretty sure rifles are 18 and handguns are 21.. So your willing to send kids off to war at the age of 18 but say they can't drink or buy a handgun until they are 21? Also how many gang bangers do you see walking down the street open carrying? The only people I know do that are law abiding citizens..

I'm not making this a gun referendum, this guy was a dick wad. I would treat Leo's with more respect. Every Leo I deal with I try to "befriend" they have a hard enough job, and next time I see them (for speed!) maybe they will cut me a break :rockon: I also define suspious as a guy packing heat, walking up, and down my block ;-)

jrd699

Established Member

THIS IS HOW A POLICEMAN SHOULD INVESTIGATE A OPEN CARRY COMPLAINT (Short, sweet, and to the point):

[youtube_browser]vyS7Qr58wkU[/youtube_browser]

... end thread here.

Cop was cool, I guess if that's how the law reads, it is what it is. What if he was a felon? I guess you have to wait for him to commit a crime.. I believe you guys, it's hard for me to get my head around, being born and raised in NY. I suppose you can kill someone with a base ball bat, leos don't shake down softball guy! I get it now.. I still think kid was a douche.. Just my opinion, if your state allows, cops shouldn't hassle, even if you are a felon, just after you have committed a crime.

98SVTContour98

Established Member

... end thread here.

So what you are saying is every officer should be able to do the following to a person who is under no suspicion of having committed a crime nor is committing a crime ... #1 be able to detain you, #2 be able to seize your weapon, and #3 be able to question you.

Is it just me or am i missing something here?

Lockdown

Established Member
So what you are saying is every officer should be able to do the following to a person who is under no suspicion of having committed a crime nor is committing a crime ... #1 be able to detain you, #2 be able to seize your weapon, and #3 be able to question you.

Is it just me or am i missing something here?

He wasn't "detained" he was "questioned". The policeman has the right to secure a weapon and return it, hence he put it back in the holster of the owner (as far as I understand CA law, different states different rights but now CA is a NO open carry state... go figure).

He was questioned for under 3 min and promptly left to mind his own business. That wasn't a violation of rights but a policeman doing his duty and understanding the situation.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Ive already posted my feelings on this situation here but I've got a little more to say.

The citizens of this country are slowly forgetting their rights.
Most believe that if a cop asks to search your vehicle that he has the right to do so PERIOD! He doesnt. He has obtain a warrant or place me under arrest. No one knows about the plain view law, Huh?

I believe thatthe Constitution should overrule all State laws and allow the citizens of this COUNTRY to carry how they see fit.

In Texas we dont need a permit to carry a conceled weapon in our vehicles because the State deems the vehicle an extension of our personal property thus we have the right to protect ourselves with deadly force if someone is trying to unlawfully enter or remove me from the vehicle.

However, I am a law abiding citizen and I do have a conceled permit and I carry my weapon everywhere I go. When a cop stops me he already knows I have a permit because it comes up on his computer such as a warrant once he runs my plates.

The ignorant comments here simply stump me. Why is this law abiding citizen being stopped for open carry in an open carry state? Its okay to hassle this guy because someone who doesnt know the law feels threatened? Maybe I should call the cops next time I see someone driving the speed limit or even under the speed limit because I suspect they are up to no good. Let the cops ask them why they are driving the speed limit.

You guys here that question why he is carrying go ahead and give up your republican cards and move on over the fence with John Kerry and Jane Fonda. You obvisously dont care for your own rights nor should you be concerned with the rights of others.

Last edited:

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
i like the old west times when everyone carried a gun and sheriffs/rangers could just shoot you dead no problem no paper work just a hearing. plus you dont get bothered for suspicious just when you break the law. walking down a street minding your business is not being suspicious. im sure most of you saying the guy with the gun was a jack monkey and a clown cause the red and blue are always doing the right thing... well they are not we are all human and make mistakes only robots are perfect if that. People make there lives more complicated than need be that is the problem keep it simple remember you rights.

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
The dude knew his stuff. Oklahoma just passed open carry but it is only allowed for conceal carry license holders so IF I were to open carry and get stopped by the police I would just hand them my CCL and be done with it. However the ONLY place I will open carry is at the farm when hunting/fishing. I will NEVER open carry in public.

Users who are viewing this thread