Angrey's way too early GT500 price handicapping contest

ANGREY

Established Member
Okay everyone, we've had numerous debates and speculation about the GT500 and it's proximity/effect on GT350/R sales and value over the past year+.

Now that we've seen the major muscle movements of the product, let's start taking guesses on what the pricing will be.

I'm saying "base" model, without the carbon fiber "track pack" will MSRP at $95,000.00 and the additional option of seats/spoiler/CF wheels will add on an additional $13k for an MSRP in the neighborhood of $108k.

This is all of course before dealer rape and additional markups until the supply (if ever) catches up.

The massive brakes, the special hood (with pins and removable rain cover), the 2.65L blower, the carbon fiber drive shaft, the 20" aluminum wheels and most costly, the 7 speed DCT transmission (from the Ford GT) all tell me this car is going to be well above even the 350R (in terms of sales price). Obviously the electronics upgrades are universal across models and makes, so there's escalation there too.

So chime in, throw your best guess as to the pricing. I don't think Ford is going to sell a lot of these things. I think it's going to be WAY WAY more limited than the previous GT500's were.

ANGREY

Established Member
I'll play.

Base GT500 = $67,500
OTT Vinyl Strips = $395
Painted Stripes = $3,500
Electronics Pkg = $3,000
Carbon Fiber Pkg = $7,900

Optioned out GT500 = $81,900
Dealer ADM $20-30K

I hope you're right. I think you're way off, but if you're correct, I may dump my car and buy one. If the Mustang GT all dressed out is running $50k and a new 350 is running $60-$65k, I don't see how Ford could offer the 500 for $68k. The blower and the trans alone are a hefty upcharge, then all the bells/whistles.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I'll play.

Base GT500 = $67,500
OTT Vinyl Strips = $395
Painted Stripes = $3,500
Electronics Pkg = $3,000

Dealer ADM $20-30K

This seems spot on to me. Maybe 69,5 starting out

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I'll play.

Base GT500 = $67,500
OTT Vinyl Strips = $395
Painted Stripes = $3,500
Electronics Pkg = $3,000

Dealer ADM $20-30K

This except I think the base is $72,500.

ANGREY

Established Member
"The GT500 is not meant to be a high-volume car, but it could prove quite valuable as a "halo" vehicle meant to draw buzz around the brand, said IHS Markit analyst Stephanie Brinley.

"The GT500 is essentially a street-to-track car for the Mustang, not entirely unlike the Challenger and Charger Hellcats," she said. "So it is low volume, but big excitement. ... It is clearly important to get people excited about your brand and about your vehicles in general, whether they buy a utility vehicle, a sedan, or a sports car. It does help to make a statement, as long as it fits with the brand.""

When you use words like "low volume" and "halo" vehicle, that points in the direction of high price point. If the blower truly is the same as the assembly used in the ZR1, there's at least efficiencies in securing that contract. But with the 7 speed DCT, can anyone name another vehicle outside of the Ford GT that features this Tremec 7 speed DCT? That screams high production costs (to me). Massive 16.5" rotors with giant bread loaf Brembos screams, high production costs. Special beefed up half shafts (apparently beefier than the 350) screams, high production costs. Carbon fiber driveshaft screams high production costs.

There's a TON of parts and pieces that either don't go in any other vehicle or it's some ultra limited commonality. Apparently every body panel forward of the C pillar is unique to the 500 (again, high production cost).

Anyone thinking they're going to offer the base within a few grand of a 350 is either not paying attention or dreamy. It also doesn't make sense from a marketing/bean counting standpoint. (want to destroy the 350 sales numbers, price the 500 within striking distance.).

I think Ford will price this near the century mark for reasons outlined above. Furthermore, look at the comps. Look at what the Hellcat (regular and redeye) and ZR1 are selling for.....A fully tricked ZR1 runs near $140k.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. All that I've put into my 350 aside, if it the base price (before dealer rape) starts with a 6, I don't know how I could NOT upgrade.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
"The GT500 is not meant to be a high-volume car, but it could prove quite valuable as a "halo" vehicle meant to draw buzz around the brand, said IHS Markit analyst Stephanie Brinley.

"The GT500 is essentially a street-to-track car for the Mustang, not entirely unlike the Challenger and Charger Hellcats," she said. "So it is low volume, but big excitement. ... It is clearly important to get people excited about your brand and about your vehicles in general, whether they buy a utility vehicle, a sedan, or a sports car. It does help to make a statement, as long as it fits with the brand.""

When you use words like "low volume" and "halo" vehicle, that points in the direction of high price point. If the blower truly is the same as the assembly used in the ZR1, there's at least efficiencies in securing that contract. But with the 7 speed DCT, can anyone name another vehicle outside of the Ford GT that features this Tremec 7 speed DCT? That screams high production costs (to me). Massive 16.5" rotors with giant bread loaf Brembos screams, high production costs. Special beefed up half shafts (apparently beefier than the 350) screams, high production costs. Carbon fiber driveshaft screams high production costs.

There's a TON of parts and pieces that either don't go in any other vehicle or it's some ultra limited commonality. Apparently every body panel forward of the C pillar is unique to the 500 (again, high production cost).

Anyone thinking they're going to offer the base within a few grand of a 350 is either not paying attention or dreamy. It also doesn't make sense from a marketing/bean counting standpoint. (want to destroy the 350 sales numbers, price the 500 within striking distance.).

I think Ford will price this near the century mark for reasons outlined above. Furthermore, look at the comps. Look at what the Hellcat (regular and redeye) and ZR1 are selling for.....A fully tricked ZR1 runs near $140k.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. All that I've put into my 350 aside, if it the base price (before dealer rape) starts with a 6, I don't know how I could NOT upgrade.

Ford GT uses a Getrag DCT if i remember correctly... not Tremec.

ANGREY

Established Member
Ford GT uses a Getrag DCT if i remember correctly... not Tremec.

If so, even worse. The T56 obviously had broad commonality. It'll be interesting to see whether Tremec cut them a special deal for the development and production of this gearbox. The console is one off, might share some parts with other paddle shifter cars (doesn't one of the "ST" use paddle shifters?). My point is, it's not like the engineers went out and picked something off shelf or easily modified by Tremec. And all the other accompanying parts that are unique to make it work. The steering column, etc.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll play.

Base GT500 = $67,500
OTT Vinyl Strips = $395
Painted Stripes = $3,500
Electronics Pkg = $3,000

Dealer ADM $20-30K

Could be!! I hope not though.
I was thinking of a 80-85K sticker price.

Users who are viewing this thread