Angrey's way too early GT500 price handicapping contest

ANGREY

Established Member
It also had an engine that was shared with nothing else, a huge economy of scale issue.

So which cars share the aluminator? Other than the block, there's not a part on that thing they share with virtually any other car.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
It also had an engine that was shared with nothing else, a huge economy of scale issue.
You're insane if you think the new gt500 is going to come in @ a similar price point to the previous generation. Look @ the price of the Demon or Red eye which this is competing with, $80-$90k with ADM'S taking them to $125k. How about the Zo6 vette, starting @ $80k or ZR1 @$123K

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'll play.

Base GT500 = $67,500
OTT Vinyl Strips = $395
Painted Stripes = $3,500
Electronics Pkg = $3,000
Carbon Fiber Pkg = $7,900

Optioned out GT500 = $81,900
Dealer ADM $20-30K
I think that's close but $3500 for a paint stripe is high. Probably $1000 max.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Established Member
Capture.JPG
They charge about 5K to re-stripe a GT500 with tape. My 11 was damaged by the water from an electrical fire, all the old black stripes had what looked like calcium marks from the water so insurance paid and I turned them blue:

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
So which cars share the aluminator? Other than the block, there's not a part on that thing they share with virtually any other car.

1) The aluminator isn’t a stock motor
2) It uses an existing engine (aluminum 4.6) and existing parts (terminator rotating)

What’s your point again?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The link doesn't work, unfortunately.

There is this quote from the AA article: "Development of the DCTs started in 2013 and there are three variants planned in total: one for rear-wheel-drive vehicles, one for all-wheel-drive applications, and one with a transaxle. The RWD application is obviously for the Shelby GT500, and the transaxle application is more than likely for the mid-engine C8 Corvette. All three share the same internals with minor differences for their final packaging."

My point was that it's not the same transmission if it's not the same transmission. A DTC transaxle is a transaxle. What's really interesting is the question of whether there's an AWD version of the GT500 coming down the pike. 700+HP has to go somewhere and spreading it across four wheels is better than two. Coming soon to a Ford Mustang near you... :)

Wow. They killed the link. I had made the link a favorite but didn't download the pdf-arrgh. I was able to find a cached version embedded in some lousy reader though. Best I can do as you can't download it now so I had to try to screenshot...

zFassler2-XL.jpg

zFassler-XL.jpg

zFassler1-XL.jpg

My point was that their point was that there was commonality. I think you know me fairly well, and I put very little trust in terms of detail when provided by the latest click-bait journalist. According to Tremec themselves, these are of modular design such that regardless of type they should be using some of the same internals.

As Tremec puts it...

Tremec said:
TREMEC has unveiled this family approach with a 7-speed, 900Nm (664 lb-ft) dual clutch transmission that takes into account a modular design for RWD, AWD and transaxle platforms.

The fact that somebody or some entity felt it necessary to kill that link immediately after it was reported is rather telling.

Last edited:

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
He means the 5.2...

So another crate engine? Wasn’t the 5.2 developed from the coyote?

If you were talking about the 5.2, looks like there were about 10,600 GT500’s produced in 13-14. GT350 has something like 18,000. That’s how economy of scale works...

Dusten

Established Member
So another crate engine? Wasn’t the 5.2 developed from the coyote?

If you were talking about the 5.2, looks like there were about 10,600 GT500’s produced in 13-14. GT350 has something like 18,000. That’s how economy of scale works...
Yes hes referring to the aluminator crate 5.2

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Yes hes referring to the aluminator crate 5.2

I guess I don’t understand his point. Crate engine economy of scale is rolled into the cost of that engine... I don’t see the correlation to anything having to do with the cost of a vehicle

Dusten

Established Member
I guess I don’t understand his point. Crate engine economy of scale is rolled into the cost of that engine... I don’t see the correlation to anything having to do with the cost of a vehicle

My guess is he assumes the aluminator is going in the gt500?

Mass producing an engine and selling large volumes can offset r&d.

Most companies have set profit margains. This margain can be met at a lower cost if material cost is lowered due to bulk

Fixed cost per unit decreases as volume increases

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member

Most companies have set profit margains. This margain can be met at a lower cost if material cost is lowered due to bulk

Exactly

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Wow. They killed the link. I had made the link a favorite but didn't download the pdf-arrgh. I was able to find a cached version embedded in some lousy reader though. Best I can do as you can't download it now so I had to try to screenshot...

My point was that their point was that there was commonality. I think you know me fairly well, and I put very little trust in terms of detail when provided by the latest click-bait journalist. According to Tremec themselves, these are of modular design such that regardless of type they should be using some of the same internals.

[…]

The fact that somebody or some entity felt it necessary to kill that link immediately after it was reported is rather telling.
Thanks for fixing the link! I suspect someone figured out that their NDA's were in deep trouble with the detailed disclosure of engineering and model development plans, like the last paragraph about a DCT in the GT350 after 2019.

The idea of a transaxle using the same gear and clutch set as an in-line transmission makes a lot of sense, but once the differential is inside the Tremec casing, I perceive the unit as a very different animal. Lubrication and thermal management is much more complex and simple things that we talk about all the time like swapping diff gears or installing a Torsen is not going to be easy if it's possible at all.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
A small portion of gt500 cost will be offset by block sharing with the gt350. However, it will not offset much

I think it will be a decent amount, but the improvements (heads/internals/etc) are why I think the base will be almost 15k higher.

Established Member
Ahhh, and then it all makes sense.

Need r&d to go somewhere new, like a next gen GT350 with motors in the front hubs to aid in pulling and power distribution, a Hybrid FPC DTC with a silent mode voodoo beast.

Last edited:

ANGREY

Established Member

My point is counter to his point in that very few parts and components off the GT500 will be common with ANY other Ford offering. Even the block itself is different with additional reinforcing. Different heads, valvetrain, different rotating components, different block, different intake/blower/intercooler/heatexchanger, so obviously different front cover, pulley and tensioner arrangement, etc.

I'd venture to say there's more parts that are unique to the 500 than there are that are common with either the GT or the GT350. Different trans, different suspension, wheels, brakes, driveshaft, halfshafts, all the body parts forward of the A-pillars, the list goes on and on and on.

So whether you call it the aluminator, or whether you call it the new GT500 5.2 CPC supercharged motor, the point is, it isn't going to share much of it's production with anyone. AND THAT IS GOING TO DRIVE PRODUCTION COSTS FOR THE 500 HIGHER, WHICH PUTS UPWARD PRESSURE ON PRICE POINT TO MAINTAIN THEIR DESIRED MARGINS.

Dusten

Established Member
My point is counter to his point in that very few parts and components off the GT500 will be common with ANY other Ford offering. Even the block itself is different with additional reinforcing. Different heads, valvetrain, different rotating components, different block, different intake/blower/intercooler/heatexchanger, so obviously different front cover, pulley and tensioner arrangement, etc.

I'd venture to say there's more parts that are unique to the 500 than there are that are common with either the GT or the GT350. Different trans, different suspension, wheels, brakes, driveshaft, halfshafts, all the body parts forward of the A-pillars, the list goes on and on and on.

So whether you call it the aluminator, or whether you call it the new GT500 5.2 CPC supercharged motor, the point is, it isn't going to share much of it's production with anyone. AND THAT IS GOING TO DRIVE PRODUCTION COSTS FOR THE 500 HIGHER, WHICH PUTS UPWARD PRESSURE ON PRICE POINT TO MAINTAIN THEIR DESIRED MARGINS.
Except ford is offering it as a crate motor. So that will help with spreading out the fixed costs.

Users who are viewing this thread