Amazon Prime price hike

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
https://www.lifewire.com/amazon-prime-for-students-4152015

i still have a .edu email address from college. may switch over to student and get the next 4 years at 1/2 off. no one uses my prime other than me anyways.
If you have a valid .edu address you get the student membership. It's worth looking into.

For example, if you went to college and all alumni get to keep their email addresses, you now have a .edu address to use. :)

I'm not sure what the student membership gets you, but it might be worth looking into.

It’s more than just an edu email, you have to prove that you are still enrolled and taking classes.

Stanger00

Established Member
It’s more than just an edu email, you have to prove that you are still enrolled and taking classes.

I did this back in 2015 and all Amazon did was send me an email to my .edu with a link to activate my student prime account. I've had prime before that day and was refunded money. I still have an active .edu account and just seen I was charged $99 a couple weeks ago. Going to call again and get my money back since I'm still a student. Besides my invoice from a couple weeks ago I haven't seen one at all. I checked all my credit cards and debit cards and I can't find any history of ever paying for Prime.

Will hop on a laptop to confirm since mobile apps and websites restrict a lot of access to historical records.

Even then. It is totally worth the fee for me. We just had a kid and without Amazon we would of been up the creek if we had to go to the store and buy some of the stuff Amazon got to us. Especially since the nearest baby store is babies r us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJackson515

Established Member
A lot of states have what is called “deemed nexus” or “sales nexus”. Once you cross a threshold of sales being delivered within the state you are treated the same as having a store within the state.

It sucks for even mid size companies it’s a paperwork nightmare. Look at Colorado alone, if you end up having nexus they are a destination state which means you have to file sales tax returns based on every sales tax district you deliver to. Which means you might be tracking 1,500 sales tax rates based on shipping a box from one location all over the state. Each district has to be broken out separately. For example in my city alone there are like 10ish different taxing districts based off the same base zip code.

Other states, such as Missouri you pay based on where the item is shipped from. So if you have one location within your sales tax return takes 5 mins to prepare.

Its not that bad. I have a pretty decent size amazon store. There are 3rd party programs out there such as taxjar.com that will track the sales tax / nexus for you, and even file taxes for you. well worth the $30 a month.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I have Amazon student...last enrollment was grad school in 2005. :)

How?! I originally had student as well, and when it came time to renew, they wanted a transcript of the current year or class schedule for the upcoming year, something like that.

Stanger00

Established Member
How?! I originally had student as well, and when it came time to renew, they wanted a transcript of the current year or class schedule for the upcoming year, something like that.

Found this in an email account I rarely use and didn't know my Amazon account used it. I haven't used this email actively in over 10 years!

Going to upload my bill from my Jan to March session

9716d62b7176c9efc722eec592e0923a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread