Amazon Prime price hike

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I downloaded mine and its about 1500 a year. I thought it would be more. Didn't know about that feature. Nice that it comes in Excel too.

SHOdown220

Established Member
WTH are all you guys buying so much of?!
This of course
66bbe51109739ca833d81ff322165433.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Don't they only charge sales tax if the product you ordered came from a warehouse in your state?

Nope, they charge sales tax in all states that have a sales tax. Which is somewhat confusing since the Supreme Court way back said companies could not do so if they did not have a presence in that state. That had to do with mail order back before the internet, but I would think that ordering off the internet would be the same as ordering from a catalog. Anyway we do not have amazon here but they still charge a sales tax,

7upstang

Established Member
WTH are all you guys buying so much of?!

That's a great question...I don't really know. LOL

We buy personal care items razors, make up (for the wife) I'll buy deodorant (Because I forget about it, so using the app is easy).

As far as business goes, smaller tools (router bits, tape measures) and we buy our paper product, toilet paper and paper towels. I think a bulk of mine might be ink.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
If you have a valid .edu address you get the student membership. It's worth looking into.

For example, if you went to college and all alumni get to keep their email addresses, you now have a .edu address to use. :)

I'm not sure what the student membership gets you, but it might be worth looking into.

Coiled03

Established Member
Hmm....I may need to go see how much I'm spending with them per year and see if it's worth it to continue.

sleek98

Established Member
Nope, they charge sales tax in all states that have a sales tax. Which is somewhat confusing since the Supreme Court way back said companies could not do so if they did not have a presence in that state. That had to do with mail order back before the internet, but I would think that ordering off the internet would be the same as ordering from a catalog. Anyway we do not have amazon here but they still charge a sales tax,

A lot of states have what is called “deemed nexus” or “sales nexus”. Once you cross a threshold of sales being delivered within the state you are treated the same as having a store within the state.

It sucks for even mid size companies it’s a paperwork nightmare. Look at Colorado alone, if you end up having nexus they are a destination state which means you have to file sales tax returns based on every sales tax district you deliver to. Which means you might be tracking 1,500 sales tax rates based on shipping a box from one location all over the state. Each district has to be broken out separately. For example in my city alone there are like 10ish different taxing districts based off the same base zip code.

Other states, such as Missouri you pay based on where the item is shipped from. So if you have one location within your sales tax return takes 5 mins to prepare.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
If you have a valid .edu address you get the student membership. It's worth looking into.

For example, if you went to college and all alumni get to keep their email addresses, you now have a .edu address to use. :)

I'm not sure what the student membership gets you, but it might be worth looking into.

What’s the Difference Between a Student and a Regular Amazon Prime Account?
For the most part, there’s no difference between an Amazon Prime Student account and a traditional Amazon Prime account. With both types of accounts, you get free two-day shipping, unlimited movies and TV shows, unlimited reading on any device, unlimited photo storage, and free same-day delivery in some areas.

The biggest difference between a Prime Student account and traditional Prime account comes in the form of the unlimited music streaming. Prime Students accounts get unlimited music streaming, but only after that free 6-month trial is over. If you want the music right when you sign up, you’ll have to forgo the free trial and start paying for the service immediately. Prime Student trial users also lose access to Kindle Owner’s Lending Library and 20% off diapers.

A huge perk for Amazon Prime students: You can trade in your used textbooks with the company and earn back up to 80% of their value. That cash comes in the form of a gift card, but you can turn around and use that money to buy more textbooks or even pay your monthly Prime bill. Amazon also routinely offers special deals for students on college-specific items that could be used in a dorm room.

Prime Student accounts can also not be shared with friends and family. This one is just for you.

https://www.lifewire.com/amazon-prime-for-students-4152015

i still have a .edu email address from college. may switch over to student and get the next 4 years at 1/2 off. no one uses my prime other than me anyways.

bglf83

Established Member
Also, price wise, amazon hasn't been cheaper on much of anything i've bought locally lately.

Bought a Nintendo switch... it was the same price as Amazon. Bought car parts, same price at Autozone. Bought tool sets, cheaper at HarborFreight for the exact same kit.

Truth is, most brick and mortar stores have caught up and are price matching Amazon. And I don't have to wait for it to be delivered. I can just go get it.
For home improvement stuff, my local Lowe's is almost always cheaper.

Blown 89

Established Member
Also, price wise, amazon hasn't been cheaper on much of anything i've bought locally lately.

Bought a Nintendo switch... it was the same price as Amazon. Bought car parts, same price at Autozone. Bought tool sets, cheaper at HarborFreight for the exact same kit.

Truth is, most brick and mortar stores have caught up and are price matching Amazon. And I don't have to wait for it to be delivered. I can just go get it.
The time and money involved in getting to the store outweighs the benefits of getting it locally IMO.....especially if you're searching for something specific and have to go to multiple stores.

I find that overall Amazon saves me a TON of money when it comes to time and gas. Not only that but they also honor certain coupons and have sales regularly just like brick and mortar stores. There are a number of online trackers that monitor prices as well so if you're smart about how you shop you almost always come out on top.

Also, don't forget about Prime Now as another benefit.

FYI.....you are allowed to add a few guests on your prime account as well. My father and brother both use my account. Split the cost if it's getting too expensive.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
$19 hike? PFFFT.

Still a steal of a deal.

Amazon is completely changing the game in the Transportation/shipping/trucking industry.

Assholes deliver on Sunday (as a consumer I obviously like it).

As an employee for a national trucking Co, im like EFF THAT! lol. Our industry has never delivered on the weekends. Im sure that will be changing soon.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
And doesn't have 1/10th of the stuff Amazon does.

Sure it does, but the WM website sucks total ass. It is very unorganized, hard to navigate, and slow.

If you want to have a successful web business... you should probably have a good website.

Users who are viewing this thread