Aluminum or steel flywheel opinions

10th annv cobra

Established Member
I can tell you that the RST will hold the power 525+ hp when setup right. Get a billet throw out bearing sleeve and a ford racing TO bearing. It is also a good time to put in the LDC cooling mod.

I have the ford racing throw out bearing but didn't pick up the sleeve. I don't think I'll have time to get one either. Clutch goes in tomorrow. Am I going to regret not getting the sleeve?

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
I have a McLeod Twin and it chatters like crazy. The steel flywheel helped the chatter but it's still there.

I have had 2 Mcleod twin discs RST & RXT both with aluminum flywheels and neither one ever chattered, make sure its installed right.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have had 2 Mcleod twin discs RST & RXT both with aluminum flywheels and neither one ever chattered, make sure its installed right.

That I suspect is the norm.

If you don't NEED the extra inertia for hard drag launches (which also helps break parts) then I really do not understand the attraction of the heavier steel flywheel.

We used to KILL for a light weight aluminum flywheel, now that we have a nice one stock, some guys are going all NUTZ with old school drag tricks all over the place and putting heavy ass fly wheels in.:nonono:

I fail to see the need or advantage on a mostly street car.

The lighter fly wheel car will go up through the gears quicker, the only thing given up is a little launch inertia.
On a car that sees lively cornering the reduced Gyro is highly beneficial.

A fly wheel has some of the largest diameter rotating weight on the car, it will rob a good amount of power.

It's a no brainer to me. Give me a new insert for the stock flywheel(also Mcloud) and plug in that twin disc.

Just bed it in correctly, which applies to any clutch.

10th annv cobra

Established Member
I have decided to go with the stock aluminum flywheel resurfaced. Sounds like that is going to be the best suited for my setup. Thanks again for the opinions and advise. What is the proper break in procedure for the RST twin disc to the guys running them?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have decided to go with the stock aluminum flywheel resurfaced. Sounds like that is going to be the best suited for my setup. Thanks again for the opinions and advise. What is the proper break in procedure for the RST twin disc to the guys running them?

I think you might do better to acquire that from the manufacturer, rather than guys on a forum ... even if they have run that set up and broke it in correctly.

VincodeY

Established Member
That is totally false.

O RLY? How so? Because I hated my car after the steel flywheel. And unless you are throwing 750+ at the car, there isnt a need for steel. The stocker holds just fine and its a HELL OF ALOT LIGHTER. Anyway, just a rebuttal. I win. :rolling:

BBCOBRA

Established Member
That I suspect is the norm.

If you don't NEED the extra inertia for hard drag launches (which also helps break parts) then I really do not understand the attraction of the heavier steel flywheel.

We used to KILL for a light weight aluminum flywheel, now that we have a nice one stock, some guys are going all NUTZ with old school drag tricks all over the place and putting heavy ass fly wheels in.:nonono:

I fail to see the need or advantage on a mostly street car.

The lighter fly wheel car will go up through the gears quicker, the only thing given up is a little launch inertia.
On a car that sees lively cornering the reduced Gyro is highly beneficial.

A fly wheel has some of the largest diameter rotating weight on the car, it will rob a good amount of power.

It's a no brainer to me. Give me a new insert for the stock flywheel(also Mcloud) and plug in that twin disc.

Just bed it in correctly, which applies to any clutch.

I agree. I recently read in a post that Mcloud will put in a new insert in the 03/04 flywheel for 125.00. I'm not sure if it is the same price now but that to me is a no brainer too.

Users who are viewing this thread