Aluminum or steel flywheel opinions

10th annv cobra

Established Member
I am in the process of getting my new Mcloed twin disc clutch installed. I have the factory aluminum flywheel and a steel aftermarket flywheel at the machine shop getting resurfaced. Which flywheel should I have installed on the car. I would say 650hp would be the most I would ever make with this car. Currently making arround 500. I don't drag the car regularly and its mostly a weekend warior. Opinions please.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
I would stick with the aluminum for the street, itll make around 15hp more than the steel one

RussZTT

Established Member
For the street I would stick with the steel one. It helps with chatter. Why a twin disk with that power? I have a Spec 3+ for now and its perfect, no chatter whatsoever with the stock flywheel.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm going with the steel for piece of mind. Lose a few ponies but I dont mind.-Shane

cobracide

Established Member
For the street I would stick with the steel one. It helps with chatter. Why a twin disk with that power? I have a Spec 3+ for now and its perfect, no chatter whatsoever with the stock flywheel.

The pedal effort is half the stocker which is great, chatter is a minus.

cobracide

Established Member
The amount to torque to spin the steel flywheel is slightly more than the aluminum since it weighs more. Typically a steel flywheel is easier to launch and can be resurfaced better than an aluminum. The power difference is negligible.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I switched the stock 26# steel flywheel out of my 99 Cobra and put a stock Terminator 13# aluminum in when I had the trans out after cracking the main cluster shaft (slaming gears). With the steel flywheel there was alot more shock on the drivetrain with a hard shift. I lost about .5 mph trap speed with the softer hitting aluminum flywheel but the car moved a little quicker so my times didn't change.

10th annv cobra

Established Member

Going with the twin disc mostly due to the claimed lighter than stock pedal. The cost is not that much more than the spec and I know it will handle any horsepower I am going to throw at it. I have read a lot of reviews on the clutch and just like any other clutch I've researched there are positives and negatives. Mostly seemed that people had installed one were really happy with the clutch. It was between the spec and the mcleod. Heard good things about both. Was more sold on the pedal.

Looks like house divided on the flywheel which always seems to be the case. More opinions and what your running?

VincodeY

Established Member
if its not gonna spend most of its time at the track, stay stock. Steel is just nasty if you don't really need it.

10th annv cobra

Established Member
I have a McLeod Twin and it chatters like crazy. The steel flywheel helped the chatter but it's still there.

Are you happy with your clutch other than the chatter. How did switching to the steel flywheel improve the chatter in your opinion and did you notice any difference in the performance of you car when you went from steel to aluminum.

cobracide

Established Member
Are you happy with your clutch other than the chatter. How did switching to the steel flywheel improve the chatter in your opinion and did you notice any difference in the performance of you car when you went from steel to aluminum.

Yes, the clutch cable force being so much lower helps a LOT in bumper to bumper traffic. The steel flywheel about haved the chatter but it is still there. I just had to modify my driving habits and semi-dump the clutch to launch. It's really not too bad but there never the less. As far as performance - identical.

benulis55

Established Member
the Terminator comes stock with an aluminum flywheel mad by Mcleod. I read an article where the authors built up an 03 cobra and paid 400 for the Mcleod aftermarket aluminum flywheel and the article stated "its way lighter than the stocker" which is obviously false, as it probably the same thing

I never read anyone have problems with the aluminum stock flywheel. Like many other parts on these cars, the flywheels can handle huge amounts of power right from the factory

10th annv cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the opinions guys. Really is helpful. This is the second clutch that has been in the car , well third if you count the stocker. The second was a centerforce that didn't hold the power. It slipped as long as I've had the car and was installed by the previous owner, the stock clutch was only replaced because of a throw out bearing that went bad. This is the first clutch I have had to put in the car and I want to be happy with it when its done. I don't want to have to have the trans back out of it for a long time.

cobracide

Established Member
I can tell you that the RST will hold the power 525+ hp when setup right. Get a billet throw out bearing sleeve and a ford racing TO bearing. It is also a good time to put in the LDC cooling mod.

Users who are viewing this thread