Alighnment shop bitching about car being lowered

10sec89

Established Member
Where do you guys take your lowered Cobras? My local shop is having a hard time getting the car on the rack. I understand they have ramp extension and now they said it won't clear the center jacks on the alignment rack and they need some other adapter piece for the rack.
I see them all day on here lower than mine, and am now wondering what kind of grief do you have when going in for alignments?

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Just call around and ask if they can do alignments on lowered/slammed cars; since "slammed" is the new thing.

My z couldnt fit on the rack at my dealership, but at my alignment shop all the guys are old school street racers, so they know ways around it.

Termi's riding on stock suspension, 4x4 status, so I dont have a problem atm.

mach1033

Established Member
I haven't had an issue with mine. I have coilovers and even when I had it dropped over two inches I didn't have a problem.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Good thread and good question. I hate taking my car any where...and alignments are one of them.

I came across this tool from summitracing. A DIY alignment tool for home garage. Says it will work on 13"-18" rim sizes. I'm tempted to pick one up and learn to do the alignment myself, just not sure how accurate/ease of use it is. Anyone tried it? Seems like a bargain for $149 if it works...hell, I'll do all my vehicles at home. Will pay for itself many times over.

SPC Performance Pro Series FasTrax Adjustable Caster Camber Gauge Kits 91000 - SummitRacing.com

SPS-91000_OH.jpg

sps-91000.jpg

CobRoush-00

Established Member
I always have issues as well because my car won't clear any lifts. One guy at the shop was pissed at first but since I was nice to him he said he had a solution: He jacked up the rear of the car under differential and got some clearance. From there it was a breeze. But remember to do the same in order to move the car away from the rack.

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
I took mine to my buddies shop. My car is lower than most and i dont trust it to everyone either. CandyRoush on here did the work for me and it feels like a completely new car now. Love it, best of luck down in FL

JaybTorchedMach

Speed of Sound
Established Member
I use Firestone. I purchased the lifetime alignment since I knew I would be messing with the suspension a few times. Ask around and find out which ones have underground racks.

Phantom

El Jeffe 302
Established Member
Ford. On the rack just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I had the same issue, the one i went to was a in the ground. The put wood under the tires to get it higher.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
If I had a shop complain about my lowered car I would get my keys back and find another shop. The place thats doing my full bumpsteer and alignment has zero issues with lowered cars. They deal with badass street cars, race cars and actually race themselves....... Alittle food for thought.......

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Have a local business in town that does mine, and even set it to my specs and let me drive it on the alignment rack. I know him though, and he is a drag racer, so he understands how some folks feel about their vehicles.

Drokkers

Established Member
Good thread and good question. I hate taking my car any where...and alignments are one of them.

I came across this tool from summitracing. A DIY alignment tool for home garage. Says it will work on 13"-18" rim sizes. I'm tempted to pick one up and learn to do the alignment myself, just not sure how accurate/ease of use it is. Anyone tried it? Seems like a bargain for $149 if it works...hell, I'll do all my vehicles at home. Will pay for itself many times over.

SPC Performance Pro Series FasTrax Adjustable Caster Camber Gauge Kits 91000 - SummitRacing.com

SPS-91000_OH.jpg

sps-91000.jpg

this seems interesting enough, may have to peep this out. Good find

RussZTT

Established Member

SPS-91000_OH.jpg

sps-91000.jpg
I don't see how this could work when the car is on the ground. What do you do if you need to adjust anything since all the weight of the wheel is on the ground?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Best advice is to call around locally and find a shop that does a lot of lowered cars.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Best advice is to call around locally and find a shop that does a lot of lowered cars.

maybe if you live around a large metro area.....maybe not the best advice if you have very few alignment shops to deal with....and the ones available pretty much suck.

a diy method would be a desirable solution.

Users who are viewing this thread